PDA

View Full Version : pre-emergent weed killers

NewLawnGirl
02-04-2003, 08:37 PM
As spring rolls near, I've got a question about pre-emergent weed killers. I live in North Carolina Zone 7 (Triangle area). When should I apply pre-emergents, how many times should this be done (and how often)? Any specific kinds that work exceptionally well? I know we have problems with dandelions and clover. Also, how long will I have to wait to put down new seed in these areas?
Thanks for your input.

bobbygedd
02-10-2003, 02:03 PM
if dandelions are a problem, i would put down a pre em in fall, perhaps mid to late sept. then again in mid march. this is a preventer, or control,not a kill. in mid may, put down trimec or whatever is available to u out that way. maybe scotts #2 step? be sure to follow the instructions on the bag

Catcher
02-11-2003, 01:05 PM
To the best of my limited knowledge,
different kinds of weed require different treatment. Dandelions, creeping crab-grass and glover may require different 'attacks' to rid yourself of them.
I had a very good experience consulting my local co-op.
They were able to advise and educate me in regards to which application will sove certain problems as well as knowing when and exactly how to apply the products so they will best work in your area.
I have also tried many different brands of fertilizers and weed-controls, from 'expensive' Scotts to low budget no-name items prior to seeing the Co-op.
They were able to sell me on their own fertilizer/ weed-control program which has yielded the best results for me yet.