PDA

View Full Version : 2010 f350 xlt opinions

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Hey guys,

Finally going to buy the well deserved work truck for this year for mowing route and some light landscape work.

I had planned on getting an old beat up truck with 150k miles on it for cheap(5-6k) and fixed it up but have been looking and have found some nice trucks local that i would feel more comfortable getting.

The one i have my eye on is a 2010 f 350 xlt regular cab 8 foot bed. (pictures attached)

I want to know the in's and out's before i buy this. It only has the 5.4l engine, but that is fine with me because we have zero hills around me, and the most i haul is a skid or tractor at around 7k lbs and a dump trailer load of about 4 yards of top soil @8000-9000lbs.

my plan for this truck would be to get it lettered, put a nice seat cover on it, and new rubber floor matts. Put low amp corner strobes in it, and some backup lights and put either an ez-dump or a truck craft alumnium dump insert in them....

The reason i have been looking for ford, because i appreciate them not taking the government's money, and mainly because i am sick of mopar parts breaking constanly on my 06 ram. Seems like i am getting something fix or replaced once every 2-3 weeks. Im not really brand bias so if i find a nice looking truck for a good deal, im intrigued

If this truck works out well for us, i will trade my 06 ram in on a new f350 lariat for a personal/work truck, but for now i would like to keep down on payments since the 06 is paid off.

Here she is, let me know what you think. i went and looked at it today, it so for sale locally and they are asking $17,250 for it plus paperwork with 43k miles on it. I think that is a pretty good deal and i will only be putting 3-4k miles on it per year with our lawn route and snow removal

4x4 xlt package, snow plow prep package and they can add boss superduty 8foot plow to it for an extra 3800 dollars. Let me know what you think

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-05-2013, 10:25 PM
here are some more pictures

StockmanLawnscape
02-05-2013, 11:09 PM
That's a good price for it in my opinion. However, I'm not a fan of the 5.4 L engine. We have an '08 F-350 Dump with the 5.4 and it has no power. We do have a lot of hill here though. We run all Fords and are looking for another one now. I'm not buying anything that's gonna pull a trailer except the 6.4 L diesel. If it can do what you need it to do, I'd say go for it. We never had any problems with the 5.4 engine besides the lack of power. Will make a nice plow truck for you. Good luck!

jbturf
02-05-2013, 11:27 PM
looks good, well equipped and clean-- ive bought alot of stuff over the years truck or equip that a year later didnt fit my needs anymore, now a days really think out larger purchases and future needs, i can only suggest the same--
also i fully understand the dodge, i had an 06 dodge too, worst truck ive ever owned, i bought it new and owned it for about 17 months total, it sat at the dealer for over 6 months of that time, towards the very end they went into bankruptcy and denied the lemon and refused to work on it any more do to no parts availibilty--chrysler and that truck still piss me off to think about it,, oh well good luck

rstan2010
02-06-2013, 01:16 PM
The truck looks good and is a great price. The 5.4 will serve you well with the weight your gonna be towing with it. I have a 2001 5.4 with 243k and still kicking strong. Tows our loaded 8.5x18 enclosed with no sweat. Loaded dump trailer is another story. If you wont be towing the skid and dump on the highway then you will be just fine. I also have a 2010 just like the one above equipped the same, except mine is a super-cab and has the 6.4. The truck has been great , plows and tows great. Ford makes a great product you'll love it compared to the dodge.

stuntmanlogan
02-06-2013, 01:28 PM
That's a great price. I know a guy who has that exact same truck. Color and everything. He has a 9 foot blizzard on it. It has plenty of power. I have a 250 with the v10. It has a lot of power. But for hauling around my 20 ft landscape trailer and a dump trailer a dozen times each summer. I would have settled with the v8. One thing. That truck probably had a plow on it before it was sold or traded. It doesn't have the front air dam and it has the velcro patch on the dash for the controller to sit. I don't know if that matters to you. But its something to think about.

Landrus2
02-06-2013, 01:34 PM
That is a killer deal don't tell me where the truck is.:waving:
Good luck on your 2013 season:waving:

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-06-2013, 05:29 PM
well, the truck might be plowed with and i know that it is clean but that is a good point if i am going to try to talk the price down a bit. I really would prefer to have a virgin plow truck, i know what plowing does to trucks, but the price is already pretty good.

I wish it was april though, im sick of not making much money plowing, and i need some capital to invest in this truck so i can put a hefty down payment on it.

WIth a heavy load, will it really strain a lot? I know my ram 1500 pulls heavy loads fine.

Deererunner
02-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Do you know how many hours are on the truck? You can check the hours simply by cycling through the trip 1, trip 2 and odometer. I've been looking for a new truck for about a year and before I bought mine last month, I found a 2007 f250 xtd lariat, only had 37k miles on it but had almost 4,000 hours (way too many hours per mile) on the engine when I test drove it. iwould def check it's hours.

Many times dealers don't look at it or even realize the trucks have the ability to track the hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

xclusive
02-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Do you know how many hours are on the truck? You can check the hours simply by cycling through the trip 1, trip 2 and odometer. I've been looking for a new truck for about a year and before I bought mine last month, I found a 2007 f250 xtd lariat, only had 37k miles on it but had almost 4,000 hours (way too many hours per mile) on the engine when I test drove it. iwould def check it's hours.

Many times dealers don't look at it or even realize the trucks have the ability to track the hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure if you are aware of this but the hours continue to run even if the engine isn't running with just the ignition is on.

Deererunner
02-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Yes I know that.. But you leave the ignition switch on unless the engine is on. If you need power for such as a radio, you turn the key to counter clockwise which doesnt add on to the engine hours
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-07-2013, 02:07 AM
my parents just got a new chrysler and it had 12 hours on it and 1 mile on it. All the newer cars from chrysler and ford have hour meters in them which is pretty cool. how many hours is too high for 43k miles?

Deererunner
02-07-2013, 10:11 AM
my parents just got a new chrysler and it had 12 hours on it and 1 mile on it. All the newer cars from chrysler and ford have hour meters in them which is pretty cool. how many hours is too high for 43k miles?

I didn't do the math, this just a quick answer but I would think you want to be around 1000. When you go look at it, you can put the hours and mileage into a ratio equation and figure out what the average miles per hour is. If it comes out to <1 mile per hour, means it has a lot of idle or low speed driving which could mean been plowed with
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-07-2013, 12:29 PM
I didn't do the math, this just a quick answer but I would think you want to be around 1000. When you go look at it, you can put the hours and mileage into a ratio equation and figure out what the average miles per hour is. If it comes out to <1 mile per hour, means it has a lot of idle or low speed driving which could mean been plowed with
Posted via Mobile Device

That makes sense. Lets say the average truck speed is 25 mph, and it has been driven 10,000 miles. There should be around 400 ish hours on the engine. Correct? So for 43k miles there should be under 2000 hrs on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
02-08-2013, 01:16 PM
WIth a heavy load, will it really strain a lot? I know my ram 1500 pulls heavy loads fine.

I had a 5.4 in my 06 250 (same 3V motor). I'd still have it if didn't have so much rust developing and needing new parts. Impressive power, far from it. Good overall truck, yes. The big thing when it comes to towing is what gear set it has. Mine was 3.73 which didn't help, 4.10 or higher would be better for sure. For a general use truck that isn't pulling really heavy all the time I think they are a fine truck. Hauling 10K everyday would get frustrating.

LandFakers
02-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Thats a nice looking truck. And the price is really attractive. Earlier in the plowing season I drove a buddies Dually F350 Dump with the 5.4 and it did really well with the plow and probably 3 ton of product in the V-Box. Motor had plenty of power and overall I was impressed. Now that I am driving the same exact truck with a 6.0 Powerstroke I would say the diesel is nice, But they both pushed the snow rather equally. Didnt haul with em as they arent my trucks, but thats my point of view with a plow and sander attached

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-10-2013, 11:31 AM
well i went and looked at the truck again and met up with the sales lady this morning. (was very nice of her to meet on a sunday) She told me that this was a former plow truck for the dealership and was this year when they were gifted a new f350 from ford because they had the highest sales rate per dealer size in Michigan. So i guess they are doing pretty well. They took the plow and everything off the undercarrage of the 2010 and put on the 2013 f 350. Before the truck plowed for the dealership(only last year and we had one plowable event last year) it was used by the dealership owner to travel up north to whitefish point michigan, and then to florida a couple times to his vacation homes. She proclaimed that it was all highway miles and they have every record on it since day one, which is nice to hear.

It is actually a Certified pre-owned truck so it has the remaining 100k mile warrenty, plus another 24month bumper to bumper warranty, just like a new one.

I talked her down to 16,250 otd, plus plates and title fee's. She could finance it over 84 months for $213 per month @2.25 percent.

I think this deal is too good to pass up. She also said that if i wanted a plow she could get me a boss 8 1/2 foot straight blade installed for 3,100 dollars or another 40 dollars per month.

Im kinda torn on what do to there, i dont need the plow for another 8 months until next season, and i could buy a plow outright and not add to the payment and install it, how i want it done precisely, myself and make sure its done right.

My plan is to pick the truck up after i go on vacation from the 14th t0 25th in a couple of days. I asked if she could call me if someone else was interested and if i had to, put a deposit on the truck. I left her a $1000 dollar check for the truck that she will hold onto when i get back, she just needed good faith that i am serious.

IF everything checks out, i will be the new proud owner of a 2010 f350.

Next thing is...... Do i trade my 06 ram 1500 in on it and have zero payment on this truck? And then buy a new(newer used) personal truck for my self? OR do i just keep driving my truck(with no payment) until it dies, and then get another truck in a couple of years when the ole dodge is tired.

What would you guys do?

MDLawn
02-10-2013, 10:15 PM
84 month loan for a truck? I mean it's at a great rate but if you take it all the way could you to a point where you owe more than it could be worth? But that sure makes it cheap to own a nice truck!
Posted via Mobile Device

BJWLAWNCARE
02-10-2013, 10:50 PM
I would do it! Get the boss plow too. Its a great price on that as well. I would look to shorten the length of the loan if you can. I would get an 8ft blade though.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-10-2013, 11:30 PM
I would do it! Get the boss plow too. Its a great price on that as well. I would look to shorten the length of the loan if you can. I would get an 8ft blade though.

That was her attractive pricing for me, a young 20 year old. LOL. This is going to be my first business loan without my dad to co-sign so im glad i qualified for such a low interest rate. I am going to shoot for a 5 year 60 month loan.

Pricing seems to be perfect and i will put some money upfront.

TRUCK: $16,250
PLOW: $3,100
FEE's: $500(title, plates, registration)
TAXES: $1,200
TOTAL: $21,050

$3k down
60 month loan 2.25%

$318.35 per month would be my payment. Its 45 dollars more than my dodge ram was, but is twice the truck at leased.

I think that is pretty damn afforable when i got quotes for 545 a month for a new f 250 xl package.

KS_Grasscutter
02-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Keep your Dodge, finance the Ford with the plow, and make double or triple or 10x payments in the summer. As soon as this one is paid for, trade your Dodge on a new truck.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Thats exactly what i was thinking. I could pay this off within one season if i wanted to. What i was thinking of doing was to trade my dodge straight up for this truck( i have a plow already and would only need a mount and wiring for the f350, then finance a new truck.

I love the dodge, just spend a lot to maintain it. I guess that goes for every truck tho.

I have two weeks to think about it, she will give me 15,900 on my dodge to trade it. So id owe about 2k (which i was going to put down on it anyway..

I still really dont know what i want to do.

KS_Grasscutter
02-11-2013, 12:05 AM
The trade in will save you a **** load on sales tax.

What about your one ton dump you got a while back? Do you still have that? If not I'd keep the Dodge until you can get your next truck, you don't wanna just have 1 and not have a backup.

stuntmanlogan
02-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Thats exactly what i was thinking. I could pay this off within one season if i wanted to. What i was thinking of doing was to trade my dodge straight up for this truck( i have a plow already and would only need a mount and wiring for the f350, then finance a new truck.

I love the dodge, just spend a lot to maintain it. I guess that goes for every truck tho.

I have two weeks to think about it, she will give me 15,900 on my dodge to trade it. So id owe about 2k (which i was going to put down on it anyway..

I still really dont know what i want to do.

What issues are you having with the dodge? If it was me. And I was having regular problems with the dodge. I would trade it off. I don't know what kind of miles you have on the dodge. But if its anything over 80k. You're getting a great deal on that new one with half the mileage, no payments and a warranty. Which just means you're going to be way ahead in the long run. I do have a 10 f.250. They are very strong and reliable trucks.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-11-2013, 09:33 PM
I have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 big horn edition quad cab with 97,000 miles on it. Never had any transmission or starting problems. I love the damn truck, but seems like there is a squeak that never goes away. This summer i changed the idler pulley, tensioner pulley, alternator, crank shaft pulley,a/c compressor and serpentine belt. Pretty much every pulley on the front of the engine. Hasnt squeaked since, but now whenever the belt gets even a little wet it screaches horrible and sweaks for about 10 minutes until the belt dries.

Also, i had to change a bent axle over the summer and i am sure i didn't overload the truck"personal truck" the most it hauls is a boat trailer, or a Turf tracer in the back, and i know i didnt side swipe a curb.

Also, the truck is somewhat starting to show wear in the interior. I have had to sew up the driver seat(small tears in the fabric) from it rubbing against the metal on the side when i get out of the truck. Dodge's seat cushions tend to wear out very quick.

REally nothing is wrong with the truck, id just like to update the fleet and have a fresh engine. I was origionally planning on not having a payment for another 6-7 years on a personal truck, which i still might do. Seems stupid to get rid of the dodge when it works fine,im just anal about the way my equipment runs, sounds, and looks.

Where most guys would just say, "i'll deal with the squeak", i want to make sure i know where its coming from and replace anything that could cause it.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-11-2013, 09:36 PM
What issues are you having with the dodge? If it was me. And I was having regular problems with the dodge. I would trade it off. I don't know what kind of miles you have on the dodge. But if its anything over 80k. You're getting a great deal on that new one with half the mileage, no payments and a warranty. Which just means you're going to be way ahead in the long run. I do have a 10 f.250. They are very strong and reliable trucks.

also with regards to maintenance. I get regular car washes, i change the spark plugs , and all fluids every 20k miles, and engine oil every 3k with synthetic. I know this engine will last me a long long time, just by the way i take care of it, but it gets expensive. I think i have logged over 7k in just maintenance since i have had it for 5 years. Which isn't bad you just normally don't factor the maintenance price in when buying a truck.

BJWLAWNCARE
02-11-2013, 09:57 PM
I know the engine is different from say 03 250 to a 2010. What else? no more bench seat. A local wantabe mechanic claims the newer 250's are junk. Are the older ones better, same or not as good?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-11-2013, 10:41 PM
I know the engine is different from say 03 250 to a 2010. What else? no more bench seat. A local wantabe mechanic claims the newer 250's are junk. Are the older ones better, same or not as good?

Great topic! I would like to know too. The 5.4l engine has been used for awhile on f 250 and 350's. Whats the difference between a 03,04,05 vs 10,11,12?

stuntmanlogan
02-12-2013, 12:54 AM
REally nothing is wrong with the truck, id just like to update the fleet and have a fresh engine. I was origionally planning on not having a payment for another 6-7 years on a personal truck, which i still might do. Seems stupid to get rid of the dodge when it works fine,im just anal about the way my equipment runs, sounds, and looks.

I would say keep the dodge and then take a loan out on the ford. It is really to good of a deal to pass up.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-12-2013, 03:26 AM

I would say keep the dodge and then take a loan out on the ford. It is really to good of a deal to pass up.

That's what I am going to do.... As much as I hate to say it I think I may lease a small ford Taurus or fusion hybrid just for the mileage on top of the two trucks. I'm spending at least 100 dollars a week on fuel just going to school. It's getting to the point where getting to school costs more than the actual classes themselves. If I could get 40 mpg's I'd think I would man up and leave the truck at home for an afternoon at school.

It would pay its self back with the fuel savings. Would just be a another car to insure and plate.:dizzy:

MDLawn
02-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Great topic! I would like to know too. The 5.4l engine has been used for awhile on f 250 and 350's. Whats the difference between a 03,04,05 vs 10,11,12?

In 2005 the 5.4 and V10 became 3 valve motors with increased power. They also went from a leaf spring to coil spring front end. The 05-08ish motors had an issue with the plugs sticking in the head and potentially breaking. They make tools for extraction. You want an 05+ as it has more power. In the 5.4 it's something like 260hp to 300hp and the V10 was 320hp to 347hp.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
02-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Sorry that was 310hp to 362 HP on the V10
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-12-2013, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the info. Anything to note with 2010 5.4 l

Any one have any highway mpg without a trailer?

MDLawn
02-13-2013, 07:09 AM
2010 will be the best version of that motor. Zero issues. My 06 was at 13.5-14 highway. But my trips never exceeded 200mi. Normal mpg was 11-12 and trailer was around 8.

Did you find out what gears it has? 3.73's don't help a 5.4. 4.10's are better.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-13-2013, 10:10 AM
2010 will be the best version of that motor. Zero issues. My 06 was at 13.5-14 highway. But my trips never exceeded 200mi. Normal mpg was 11-12 and trailer was around 8.

Did you find out what gears it has? 3.73's don't help a 5.4. 4.10's are better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Its got the 4.10's. The only concern i am having is justifying a purchase in this day and age that is going to get that sh1tty of gas milage. 8 is fine when im working because it is being charged on to the customer, but 14 is pretty damn low on the highway. If i fether the pedal and put cruise on my ram 1500 i will get around 20mpgs.

MDLawn
02-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Its got the 4.10's. The only concern i am having is justifying a purchase in this day and age that is going to get that sh1tty of gas milage. 8 is fine when im working because it is being charged on to the customer, but 14 is pretty damn low on the highway. If i fether the pedal and put cruise on my ram 1500 i will get around 20mpgs.

DO NOT EVER expect to get anything near 20 with a 5.4 or any gas powered super duty. I don't care what anyone says. I've owned a 5.4 and currently a V10 so I know what my numbers are. Yes the 5.4 was an ext cab and the V10 is a crew cab dually so they are heavier and a reg cab may get better due to less overall weight. But 20 mpgs, only in a diesel truck, maybe..... I owned a 05 5.4 F150 and that never got great mpgs either.

Let me ask why are highway mpgs so important? Is this "your" truck outside of work?

MDLawn
02-13-2013, 10:29 AM
As much as I hate to say it I think I may lease a small ford Taurus or fusion hybrid just for the mileage on top of the two trucks.

Just read this statement.

I purchased a 2002 taurus last winter for $2000 for commuting. I currently do this work part time (but I'm serious about it) and in no way could I commute with the V10. That would be a $600+/month fuel bill. This car has "paid for itself" and already saves me around $400 in fuel. Leasing a car is NOT the way to go, in my opinion. Having a $275-$325/month payment then fuel costs. I though of doing that too but doing so would just have equaled the $600/month rather than saving anything. Why pay extra money per month when there are a ton of high mileage units out there for dirt cheap. Even if you replace it every 2 years you would still be ahead. Not to mention you could sell it for at least half if not fully what you paid for it. Put that lease payment in the bank where it can actually do something for you. Then in 10 years of putting $300/month in the bank you can go buy something nice, with cash.

Again just my opinion.

MDLawn
02-13-2013, 10:32 AM
I'd think I would man up and leave the truck at home for an afternoon at school.

It's just a vehicle.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-14-2013, 01:18 AM
you have brought some very good insight onto me. I think i am just going to stick with the trucks for now. And save the headache of buying another car and insurance payment for commuting. I use all my work trucks sometimes for personal use and taking the girl out if there is materials or equipment in the back of another truck.

I like having the ability to use them for my personal needs, and i like working on them at home. We do a complete detail,vacuum, care wash every friday afternoon to make sure everything is vacumed and cleaned. We also use seat covers during work and take them off over the weekend. No sense in ruining nice cloth with greasy clothes if you can buy a 50 dollar seat cover and throw it in the wash every once and awhile.

MDLawn
02-14-2013, 08:21 AM
Often times people buy brand new cars for mpg and get rid of their PAID OFF car/SUV/truck because it gets sub par mpgs. In reality they're probably spending more because they have taken on a payment again. I've even seen it with trucks where a guy has a paid off V10/V8 and is sick of his single digit mpgs and goes off and buys a spanking new diesel truck for $50,000+ and brags about the 17mpgs he gets..........you didn't have a payment and now you do. Now if you bought a used diesel where your trade pays for most of the diesel truck now your making the right choice.

I like the truck you're looking at. Will serve you well.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Well guys, i just got back from a nice vacation..... called the dealership and the sales person i was working with got fired, as well as the truck sold...... the dealer pretty much told me tough $hit. I told them i already put a down payment on the truck, and they pretty much said we voided the check, and the paperwork to hold the truck for me was shreded.

Im not sure what happened, but i am pretty dissappointed. Now the truck search is on.... great.

McG_Landscaping
02-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the info. Anything to note with 2010 5.4 l

Any one have any highway mpg without a trailer?

Sucks to hear about the truck man! as far as mileage, in my 08 i was getting between 11 and 12 empty on the highway. hopefully you find something like that truck. that was definitely a deal!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-26-2013, 07:34 PM
it truely was a deal and it was clean as heck. Dealer owned and everything was on records, they even recorded when they put windshield wiper fluid in it.

I guess everything happens for a reason. I think i am actually going to look for a diesel. I had a 450 7.3l diesel and it gave me nothing be problems. I wasnt even sure if it was going start most of the time it was so unreliable.

I want to get a new 6.4l ford or ram 3500 srw cummins but they are pricey and i dont need more debt.

If anyone finds a 2008 and newer f350/250 or ram 2500/3500 sew with under 80k miles for less than 20-25k let me know

McG_Landscaping
02-26-2013, 07:49 PM
for some reason the link i posted wasnt working. it was an 08 250 in ohio with 76k on it for 13900. i always seem to see a ton of deals in ohio. also we get quite a few down here near pittsburgh

DLONGLANDSCAPING
02-26-2013, 09:16 PM
for some reason the link i posted wasnt working. it was an 08 250 in ohio with 76k on it for 13900. i always seem to see a ton of deals in ohio. also we get quite a few down here near pittsburgh

Pm me the link, that sounds like a great deal

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-26-2013, 12:04 AM
well the advertising is paying off and i have landed a few big paver and landscape installs, and a bunch of mulch jobs. So the hunt for a truck is on again.

I have found a couple of trucks, which would you guys prefer to have:

1) 2011 f-250 XL Regular Cab, 8 ft Bed 6.2L w/ 1200 miles on it = $21,950
2) 2011 f-350 xl Regular Cab, 8 ft Bed 6.2L w/31,236 miles= $19,495
3) 2008 f-250 xl Regular Cab, 8 ft Bed 5.4L w/36,023 miles= $17,100
4) 2008 f-350 xl super cab cab srw, 6.5 ft bed 6.4L diesel, with 76k miles= $14,500

Right now, all ages and milages aside, i am leaning towards the 08 diesel. I know it has a smaller bed, but having the diesel engine with the EGR delete already installed, is kind of the tie breaker. I am between the 08 diesel, and the '11 with 1200 miles. Thats a brand new truck pretty much.

What would you guys get. I am going to be putting air bags all around, and adding a stainless dump insert when i get it. and of course,get it all lettered up.

KS_Grasscutter
03-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Truck 1 almost sounds too cheap. It is 4x4 right? If so I'd definitely go for that one.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-26-2013, 12:54 AM
Truck 1 almost sounds too cheap. It is 4x4 right? If so I'd definitely go for that one.
Posted via Mobile Device

They are all 4x4. Just wanted to stay away from higher monthly payments since I just paid my other truck off. Or another option is a 2003 f350 with a brand new 8 ft bed and hoist with 100k on a v10. For $10k

KS_Grasscutter
03-26-2013, 01:08 AM
I'd about be inclined to get the older dump. Aren't you wanting to get into mulch deliveries as well?
Posted via Mobile Device

slowleak1
03-26-2013, 01:24 AM
Diesel, hands down.

JDGlandscape
03-26-2013, 02:11 AM
Where in the hell are you finding these deals? Those prices you listed i cant find anything except trucks from around 06 and older. Especially that diesel, i mean 7.3s with that many miles people want around 18-20k around here. 6.4s are still around 32k plus. I would jump on those price

BTW, its being technical but the ford short beds are 6.75 not 6.5 =) Posted via Mobile Device

jbturf
03-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Of a ford i would only consider 2005+ for better trans ,suspension, interior . Beyond that I would choose a 350 over 250 to stay within legal manufacturers towing/ payload limits when u hog it out. A 8 foot bed can certainly help at times also. Consider maintenance costs, likely repair costs, any warranty on any of them?
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Where in the hell are you finding these deals? Those prices you listed i cant find anything except trucks from around 06 and older. Especially that diesel, i mean 7.3s with that many miles people want around 18-20k around here. 6.4s are still around 32k plus. I would jump on those price

BTW, its being technical but the ford short beds are 6.75 not 6.5 =) Posted via Mobile Device

hours and hours of cars.com autotrader.com commercialtrucktrader.com truckpaper.com ebay.com craigslist.org.

All these sites have a couple of these trucks. Anything i should be aware of with the 6.4L diesels with 60k miles on them?

MDLawn
03-26-2013, 04:31 PM
They are all 4x4. Just wanted to stay away from higher monthly payments since I just paid my other truck off. Or another option is a 2003 f350 with a brand new 8 ft bed and hoist with 100k on a v10. For $10k

I love my V10 but the 03's have a weaker transmission and less power. They are thirsty buggers.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-26-2013, 04:36 PM
I made up my mind. After talking to dealerships all day, i found a dealership on Chicago that has a f350X XLT supercab with an 8foot bed. 6.4L engine. Carpet Interior(i prefer) power everything.

Its white, with 63k miles. He was asking 14,500 for it, i offered 13,900. I am not sure when i am going to pick it up, but it will be in the next two weeks. I might buy a 5.4L exact same truck, for 9k and bring it back to michigan and sell it for a bit more on ebay. Who knows

JDGlandscape
03-26-2013, 09:56 PM
I looked at a truck just like that one, a 2010 F350 supercab 8 foot bed with 85k miles on it a couple months ago. It was one of the better priced ones i could find, it was still 35k. That seems like a smoking deal for 14.5k, I would jump on it even if he doesnt budge.

On a second thought, I would be better off flying somewhere to buy a truck and driving it back

JDGlandscape
03-26-2013, 09:58 PM
hours and hours of cars.com autotrader.com commercialtrucktrader.com truckpaper.com ebay.com craigslist.org.

All these sites have a couple of these trucks. Anything i should be aware of with the 6.4L diesels with 60k miles on them?

I am not sure if you are familiar with either Ford-trucks.com or thedieselstop.com, but they have tons and tons of extremely helpful information. There are a few things to be concerned about with these trucks but they know allll about them inside and out and exactly how to fix them. The 6.4 can be an extremely good engine.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-26-2013, 11:47 PM
I am not sure if you are familiar with either Ford-trucks.com or thedieselstop.com, but they have tons and tons of extremely helpful information. There are a few things to be concerned about with these trucks but they know allll about them inside and out and exactly how to fix them. The 6.4 can be an extremely good engine.

thanks for the info. I have actually read a lot about theses engines the last couple of hours and pretty much all the info is on one of those two sites.

I have a DFP delete kit on my "watched" list on ebay, as well as XLT headlights, Towing mirrors with side lights, and a set of recon LED amber clearance lights. I already have fog lights for them when i ordered my last bumper for my dump truck. So if i get the truck, i will be in about 15k when all said and done, and then i will be able to most likely sell if if i wanted to for around 25-30k with all the improvements i will have done.

p.s. I mis spoke on my last post about the truck. Its an XL with XLT interior power (power locks and windows, and MP3/CD)

As the time goes on the list of updates never stops:
-Leather lariat seats
-chrome grille
-Leveling Kit
-Air Bags
-3" suspension lift
-Bed Liner/Line X
-Dump Insert
-EGR Delete and Tuner
-New Rubber and Rims

But for now, its a work truck. I can make the updates after i pay the truck off this year!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-26-2013, 11:49 PM
I looked at a truck just like that one, a 2010 F350 supercab 8 foot bed with 85k miles on it a couple months ago. It was one of the better priced ones i could find, it was still 35k. That seems like a smoking deal for 14.5k, I would jump on it even if he doesnt budge.

On a second thought, I would be better off flying somewhere to buy a truck and driving it back

Thats what i am doing. Truck is in chicago. I am going to take a train to Chicago on thursday of this week, pick up the truck friday morning and drive to indianapolis to go to the MSU sweet 16 game. At leased thats the ideal plan if i hear back from the bank by tomorrow. (i doubt it though)

KS_Grasscutter
04-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Get a truck bought yet?

jrs.landscaping
04-02-2013, 01:36 PM

Portsmouth Ford has brand new trucks listed @ 35k

6.7, XL, power service group option, we looked at a 350 SRW ext cab with everything included it was around $37,500.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Just got approved for the loan. 15k for a 2010 f350 xl 6.4l with 76000. Wow has this last week been hell trying to find a franchised dealer that had what I want! Payment of 185 for 84 months.

Only thing it doesn't have is a back bench seat, and a tailgate. Which I can find on ebay for cheap. It's an xl exterior with an xlt interior(power everything)

I'll post pictures when I get it

rstan2010
04-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Just got approved for the loan. 15k for a 2010 f350 xl 6.4l with 76000. Wow has this last week been hell trying to find a franchised dealer that had what I want! Payment of 185 for 84 months.

Only thing it doesn't have is a back bench seat, and a tailgate. Which I can find on ebay for cheap. It's an xl exterior with an xlt interior(power everything)

I'll post pictures when I get it

Sounds like an x border patrol truck off ebay. Those trucks idle alot, hope you know what your getting yourself into with the 6.4l, it not a cheap engine to work on. Once you get it i recommend dpf delete and a full egr delete.

JDGlandscape
04-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Portsmouth Ford has brand new trucks listed @ 35k

6.7, XL, power service group option, we looked at a 350 SRW ext cab with everything included it was around $37,500.

Wow, 35k? It is just the XL though. I did look at a sterling gray supercab XLT 6.7 there for 45k.

But that is the reason I was looking at new, because around here they are a better deal than a year or two old trucks, with all the rebates and stuff on new trucks it makes more sense for just a couple grand more

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Sounds like an x border patrol truck off ebay. Those trucks idle alot, hope you know what your getting yourself into with the 6.4l, it not a cheap engine to work on. Once you get it i recommend dpf delete and a full egr delete.

It was actually the dealers truck. They used it for picking up parts and service calls. I already ordered a DPF delete kit, and am going to get a full egr delete done at my mechanics shop. How much is too much to spend on a full delete? I have seen the kits to do it yourself, from like 400-1300. Is 1500 too much to spend for someone else to do it, or is that a good price?

The DPF delete is a pretty simple procedure, and hopefully it will bump the mpg's up a couple when its done.

To be honest, i am going to get it home, put some work into it and try to sell it for around 25-27k. Am i crazy? ha

Then ill buy a brand new 6.2l 2013 xlt crew cab 8 ft bed.

this is all talk, but im always looking to make money and re-invest off of purchases.

R & R Yard Designs
04-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Long if need parts I have a guy that still has h&s tuners and pipes for under 1100 for everything.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDGlandscape
04-06-2013, 09:35 PM
It was actually the dealers truck. They used it for picking up parts and service calls. I already ordered a DPF delete kit, and am going to get a full egr delete done at my mechanics shop. How much is too much to spend on a full delete? I have seen the kits to do it yourself, from like 400-1300. Is 1500 too much to spend for someone else to do it, or is that a good price?

The DPF delete is a pretty simple procedure, and hopefully it will bump the mpg's up a couple when its done.

To be honest, i am going to get it home, put some work into it and try to sell it for around 25-27k. Am i crazy? ha

this is all talk, but im always looking to make money and re-invest off of purchases.

No offense, but you will regret doing that... After towing everyday with a tuned deleted 6.4, you will be severely dissapointed going back to a gas engine to tow everyday. The 13 is a much nicer truck though

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-06-2013, 11:44 PM
No offense, but you will regret doing that... After towing everyday with a tuned deleted 6.4, you will be severely dissapointed going back to a gas engine to tow everyday. The 13 is a much nicer truck though

its all talk for now. I know what you mean though. The 6.4 is a strong engine when everything is taken care of. And there is barely any milage on this. I will get a good 3-5 years on this one and try to sell it for what i bought it for, or more down the road.

rstan2010
04-07-2013, 10:57 AM

Sounds good. If you can do a full 4" or 5" exhaust system with a h&s mini max or a spartan tuner. Should run you around $1300 with full exhaust. Take a look at the flo pro egr delete kit should run about $300. You should be able to do everything yourself, the egr delete may take you about 4 hours tho. Also flush the coolant and fill with cat ELC coolant.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-14-2013, 10:42 PM
WELL I FINALLY OWN HER! Friday i went and picked her up.

7:30 am-Economics Test until 11:45
12:30-1- Bank closing
1-2 Airport Drive
2-3:30- sitting at airport
3:30-4:40-in plane to chicago
5-6pm- in cab to dealership
6-7:00-in dealer signing paperwork
7:15-12 driving back home( got 24 mpgs driving 1800 rpms @68 mph. I couldnt complain at all)

TALK ABOUT A LONG LAZY BORING DAY!!!! But i came home with a beauty. This truck has ZERO rust. Supsension is as tight as it would be new.

2010 F 250 XL
6.4L Diesel 78k miles
-DPF Delete
-Power Windows
-Power Mirrors(power fold in and power glass and extension)
-Power locks
-CD/AUX/MP3 player
-30% Tints
-Brand new windshield

Updates I have done already in the last 24 hours:
-New headlights
-Installed Cab lights hooked up to parking lights(RECON)
-Cleaned the cab inside and out
-Replaced small dinky mirrors with nice power telescpoing mirrors and replaced small speakers with some nice Bose speakers

Things going to be done:
-Chrome rear bumper
Not sure if i want to keep the black grille and bumper in the front and add the air dam to what i have now, or get it all chromed out. I kinda like the black look if it right now. I bought a chrome grille but might return it. (i know resale value will be higher if i swap the black for chrome, so that may be the only reason i do it)
-20" chrome OEM rims and 35" tires(summer tires)
-4" air ride suspension
-Middle console installation
-EGR delete
-Spartan Tuner

gallihergreen
04-14-2013, 10:57 PM
Those tow mirrors were a HUGE improvement! Nice lookin' truck! :drinkup:
Posted via Mobile Device

RSK Property Maintenance
04-14-2013, 11:20 PM
WELL I FINALLY OWN HER! Friday i went and picked her up.

7:30 am-Economics Test until 11:45
12:30-1- Bank closing
1-2 Airport Drive
2-3:30- sitting at airport
3:30-4:40-in plane to chicago
5-6pm- in cab to dealership
6-7:00-in dealer signing paperwork
7:15-12 driving back home( got 24 mpgs driving 1800 rpms @68 mph. I couldnt complain at all)

TALK ABOUT A LONG LAZY BORING DAY!!!! But i came home with a beauty. This truck has ZERO rust. Supsension is as tight as it would be new.

2010 F 250 XL
6.4L Diesel 78k miles
-DPF Delete
-Power Windows
-Power Mirrors(power fold in and power glass and extension)
-Power locks
-CD/AUX/MP3 player
-30% Tints
-Brand new windshield

Updates I have done already in the last 24 hours:
-New headlights
-Installed Cab lights hooked up to parking lights(RECON)
-Cleaned the cab inside and out
-Replaced small dinky mirrors with nice power telescpoing mirrors and replaced small speakers with some nice Bose speakers

Things going to be done:
-Chrome rear bumper
Not sure if i want to keep the black grille and bumper in the front and add the air dam to what i have now, or get it all chromed out. I kinda like the black look if it right now. I bought a chrome grille but might return it. (i know resale value will be higher if i swap the black for chrome, so that may be the only reason i do it)
-20" chrome OEM rims and 35" tires(summer tires)
-4" air ride suspension
-Middle console installation
-EGR delete
-Spartan Tuner

nice truck and congrats on getting a diesel instead of gas. i'm in the same shoes as you, except i was never considering a gas truck instead i've been looking at 2005-2010 f350 regular cab trucks diesel only, also i already have one ford that gets driven 4-500 miles a week and i'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on one yet. soon hopefully my 96 f350 7.3 diesel has a small cab and could use many new features that the newer trucks come with, even though i have an xlt already. what was involved in changing the headlights?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-15-2013, 09:58 PM
nice truck and congrats on getting a diesel instead of gas. i'm in the same shoes as you, except i was never considering a gas truck instead i've been looking at 2005-2010 f350 regular cab trucks diesel only, also i already have one ford that gets driven 4-500 miles a week and i'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on one yet. soon hopefully my 96 f350 7.3 diesel has a small cab and could use many new features that the newer trucks come with, even though i have an xlt already. what was involved in changing the headlights?

it was extreamly easy to switch out the headlights in the 2010. They each cost right around 85 dollars and took 20 minutes to switch out. Jsut remove all of the black housing, light bulbs and hardware and they bolt and plug right in. The part i found funny was for the black XL headlights there is actually an extra harness/pigtail contected to the main head light.

On my truck, there is wiring for fog lights as well that i will connect when i get my new bumper in.

I think i am going to make this my personal truck once all finished up. It drives amazing and i am getting 15-17 mpg around down. and 24 avg on the highway.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Those tow mirrors were a HUGE improvement! Nice lookin' truck! :drinkup:
Posted via Mobile Device

i dont even know why the put the small crappy mirror on in the first place. You cant see anything out of them, its almost a hazzard. The new ones are rediculas. You can see anything and everything

RSK Property Maintenance
05-28-2013, 12:50 AM
how's the new truck working out for you? I found a 2010 f350 xlt regular , that has everything i want. only issue is its 1,000 miles away, but that's not really that far....