PDA

View Full Version : Commercial bid. Please help

RYAN
08-22-2000, 09:48 AM
I am currently bidding on the apartment complex I live in and I was wondering what the rest of you might bid. I am not yet sue of the acrage but it will likely take around 3 hrs. with a three man crew. I was thinking around 250$ per mow. The property is hard to judge. there are a few small open field type areas and a ton of small patches in front of the buildings size of around 10' x 30'. The bid does not include edging the sidewalks which is seperate. Please help, this is my first commercial bid so I want to get the job but I don't want to be underpriced and not make $

cos
08-22-2000, 11:12 AM
sounds about fair ryan. On larger bids like that make sure that when you submit the bid you think atleast twice, cause if you dont it just might be a miserable season when you have to show up and mow the grass every week.

Alan
08-22-2000, 12:33 PM
I tend to think that you're a little light on that $250 number. 3 men for 3 hours is nine man hours in my book. even if you're shooting for $30/hr that would be $270

cos
08-22-2000, 03:34 PM
i thought about that one off the top of my head, thats why I thought its sounded near 30-35 and hour. 27.70 does sound pretty low.
good luck with the bid

Scraper
08-22-2000, 03:49 PM
I was hoping you'd change your mind Cos as I am in the same area as you and I know there are enough lowballers out there already without ones coming here to see how much lower they can go. :) I'm in Delaware County...you?

P.S. $30-35 is even still too low! Especially in the Philly burbs!!!

[Edited by Scraper on 08-22-2000 at 06:53 PM]

accuratelawn
08-22-2000, 04:13 PM
I think you should take some more time measuring the areas to be mowed. Figure your productivety and then charge more than $27 per hour. Like a post above ,you don't want a miserable season working for too little.

cos
08-22-2000, 04:25 PM
yeah scraper im in delaware county too. good to here from another native. I went to interboro class of 90. Yeah prices are rising such as lawn mowers, weed eaters, blowers and even gas. so why cant the cost of a lanscapers income rise too. I really dont mind other competitors coming into the business but the only way they feel to do it is low ball everyone and take their business, most of the consumers are hip to it though and they know that they dont want to burn bridges but there are alot of people that like to get that better price.

gorrell
08-22-2000, 07:27 PM
I think you're a little low at $250. I run a 3 man crew and we get $120/hr running three 61" machines. Don't cheat yourself to get one job, charge what you are worth. I've been doing this for 15 years and i'm not in it for the experience, I like to make money. Thanks, Lynn

Cutter1
08-22-2000, 07:28 PM
If you bid that much, it will bug you all year long!!! Everytime you cut it you will think, God, I'm getting ripped off!! Keep the prices up, we all gotta eat.

Twotoros
08-22-2000, 07:42 PM
I always worry about rentals . You are at the mercy of all those people . I have them move in and throw up a swing set , throw toys all over , park cars on the lawn - you get the idea . Is it an adult complex . Does the owner keep it up or are the operating on a shoestring(slumlord wannabes).
I do quite a few such places and there are new suprises each week with the managers and such not caring about my 'ready for mowing ' rules .
I now bid rentals 20% higher if it is not adults only.

jaclawn
08-22-2000, 08:12 PM
Are you sure that you want to bid on the place that you live in? Imagine sitting on your patio after a long day, and Matilda (she moved, she couldn't find anyone to care for her lawn) comes over complaining about the three blades of grass that were in her beds.

Just something to think about.

RYAN
08-22-2000, 09:14 PM
Thank you for all the advice. I guess I am a little low aren't I. I will have to look the property over again and raise my price.

Jaclawn: I plan on moving out in November when the lease is up just don't tell them that

Twotoros: It is a luxury apartment complex owned by a huge company so they are not on a shoestring budget and there are very few kids and never any toys in the lawn. The property is kept very clean. No worries there

Scraper
08-22-2000, 11:36 PM
Cos: Not a native, but an implant here. Shoot me an e-mail and maybe we can grab a beer. I'm out in Chadds Ford. My e-mail is oscapes@yahoo.com

I hear what you're saying and maybe we can educate the morons around here!

cos
08-22-2000, 11:41 PM
He ment the people around our area guys and gals.....

thelawnguy
08-28-2000, 07:52 AM
If you live there, check out how the present co does the job; time wise, and how they split the areas up and take a cue from them.