PDA

View Full Version : dump trucks...you show me your and I'll..

ladibugg
02-07-2003, 10:25 PM
I read many post that hint about dump trucks being the main stay of a landscapers tools. However, I see most landscapers don't actually use the dump much. I see most of them pulling trailers with the truck bed empty.

1) Do you use yours?

2) What for?

3) Has it made you money you couldn't have made with a flatbed?

Thanks in advance for the insight.

LawnsRUsInc.
02-07-2003, 11:51 PM
I do landscaping and i have a dump insert in the back of my F-250. It is a big help to me. If you cant fit into your budget than forget it. They are expensive trucks. Also think if you need to deliver dirt or mulch and or haul things off the job. Also you can invest in a dumping trailer. TO my company it is a vital thing to our every day work. Any more ?'s just ask iam like a little kid with dump trucks i love them.
Jason

paponte
02-08-2003, 12:58 AM
That is all I own... dump trucks. I could not be in business without them. From grass, leaves, mulch, chips, topsoil. etc. I use the dump for everything. I don't know how anyone could be without one.

kris
02-08-2003, 08:20 AM
I am assuming your are talking about Landscape Construction and not maintenance.

Soil, crushed stone, sand, rock, mulch, excavation. Our dumps are used constantly. You could not be competitive without them.

paul
02-08-2003, 09:43 AM
We use both, but our dumps are needed every day, our flat beds are used mostly for delivery, yes they may go out of the shop with nothing on them but tools and a trailer but on site moving of dirt or gravel is much faster than using a skid steer one bucket at a time. Spoils are moved off site with them but never brought back to the shop so they may leave to a off site dump during the day by the dump truck.

dan deutekom
02-08-2003, 10:17 AM
Working without a dump truck is like working without a wheelbarrow:D

ladibugg
02-09-2003, 07:50 AM
I guess I should expound...I see day in and day out large empty trucks (6 ton and over) pulling trailers loaded with equipment, plants, rock, etc. At ten mpg and 55 mph these trailers are a pain.

I also see small trucks ( 1 ton and under ) weighted down with mulch, rock, soil etc. to the point that the tail pipes are dragging. I hate to think these guys will need to stop at some point...wake up guys, your brakes were not designed to hold up under that much weight.

In and out of the supply yards I see the same thing. Just wondering if the guys with dumps couldn't get by with a flat bed rather than pulling a trailer everywhere.

What I am really saying here is I don't want to pull a trailer, i want to use a flat bed. What I am asking is putting money into a large flat bed a bad idea? I am talking six ton of bigger. A big beautiful flat bed.

dan deutekom
02-09-2003, 08:13 AM
Get a flat bed with a dump hoist and removable stake sides and have the best of both worlds.

paponte
02-09-2003, 09:06 AM
ladibugg, it really depends on what you are doing. I just bought a UD 1800 cab over dump truck. It has got to be one of my best investments ever! It's a 6cyl turbo diesel, with 18,000 GVW. I get around 13 mpg and can cruise at 65 no problem,even when loaded. This truck is going to be just for maintenance and mulch. I also have internationals that are just too cumbersome to use as an everyday maintenance truck. They are great for topsoil, gravel, stone, and landscape construction though. For what I do, I could not operate without dumps. If you are just a maintenance Co. and don't collect your clippings, or bag your grass. Then I guess you wouldn't need a dump. I don't know.

e-RoK
02-09-2003, 09:47 AM
My boss said he's getting a dump this year and I'm tickled pink. Scooping mulch out of the back of a pickup sucks. Well, it's not actually TOO bad...but no one can say it's productive. And same goes for hauling away material. So much faster to dump it. And at the end of the day going back to the shop is when you really wish you had a dump.

ladibugg
02-09-2003, 10:34 AM
How big are your trucks?

How much will they dump?

Paponte, what Internationals do you have?

brentsawyer
02-09-2003, 10:40 AM
I want to see some pictures, beds up

gslam88
02-09-2003, 12:39 PM
I see all these comments, but no pictures.. so here is one of mine

paponte
02-09-2003, 12:58 PM
I have a UD 18,000 GVW with a 14' grain body, Int. 1700 quad cab 8' bed 21,900 GVW, and an Int 1600 10' 26,000 GVW. Have to find some better pics but I think 2 are on my webpage:

http://kidquest0.tripod.com/papontelandscapes/id12.html

http://kidquest0.tripod.com/papontelandscapes/id3.html

ianc
02-09-2003, 01:33 PM
this is a picture taken in 1988, the day she came home. works every day with 500,000kms on her, only replaced item other than routine maintenance was the alternator, some body and electrical issues over the years

plan to retire her to the front lawn and put some flowers around

DaddyRabbit
02-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by ianc
this is a picture taken in 1988, the day she came home. works every day with 500,000kms on her, only replaced item other than routine maintenance was the alternator, some body and electrical issues over the years

plan to retire her to the front lawn and put some flowers around

I noticed your truck has it's rear tires more to the rear than usual, you must use it for pulling more than anything else. The farther back your tires are the more your front end is compromised by weight.

ianc
02-09-2003, 06:27 PM
I had the axel shortened because it was set for a van body when the chasis was purchased, but wanted the wheels set far back for trailering (skidsteer.mini-hoe) the box is 16'inside

pjslawncare/landscap
02-10-2003, 05:44 PM
Im primarily a lawncare provider, however I do a bit of landscaping when I can and use my dump truck frequently. I have a flat bed dump as well, but I use the dump truck for rock and heavy stuff. This day I had to wheel barrow 9 tons (two dump loads) thru this gate and up 5 steps into this back yard.

MD Land Management
02-10-2003, 10:08 PM
I know you are looking not to pull a trailer, but this past year i purchased a 3 ton dual axel dump trialer for my company and have used it about everyday since i bout it. You can load pallets of block or sod, upto 6 yards of mulch, or 3 tons of stone or topsoil. Also you dont have to worry about an engine to maintain, just the truck your pulling it with. I use a F250 1999 CrewCab 4x4 V8 to pull it and it seems like its not even there. I'm currently using it for salt since our winter has been so productive already up here in NJ But I also use it to make just delieveries as well. I usually charge anywhere from 20-50 dollars to deliver upto 5 yards or 3 tons. But i've put everything from old deck boards(taking them to the dump) to topsoil. I love it and would never sell it even if i had a dump truck as well.

Mark
MD Landscape Management
Cherry Hill, NJ

ksss
02-11-2003, 04:46 PM
I have an IH 2300 with a 16' contractor body fold down sides, 33,000 GVW, L-10, 9 speed. It has been a great truck, very few problems. but too small. Out here most yards are measured in acres not square feet. The soil is very poor. As a result landscaping yards requires large amounts of topsoil. I was tired of paying trucking costs. Two years ago I bought a Circle R Side Dump trailer and a 378 Peterbilt. Now I can haul 25 yards at a time vs 6 with the IH. I realized several benifits right away. I could do things on my time schedule, I was making more money on each yard with the added trucking income. This last year I was getting calls right from developers and builders for larger jobs, jobs that would have fallen to excavators. I wish I had bought the set up years ago.

gusbuster
02-11-2003, 05:02 PM
It's a must if you bag clippings as most of the LCO in my area and debris we pick up from our maintenance clients, both commercial and residentials.

I see these guys at the dumps wasting anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes unloading their trucks. None of them care to realize how much more productive you could be when you factor in the cost of a dump(now around $4000 installed) the amount of extra money they could be making factoring weekly dumping(52 weeks a year).

All my trucks I own(chev 3/4 ton and 3 ton) trucks have installed dumps. When mixing soil admendment, all I do when i can is back up to the area, dump a little out, move to a new spot and so on. Sure beats having to cart everything around.

John