PDA

View Full Version : sell route and equipt...

richard2
08-22-2000, 04:51 PM
how do i go about selling my route and all my equiptment? also, has anyone ever merged?

Charles
08-22-2000, 05:14 PM
Richard, I don't think kramer and nnnnewman made it to Michigan and made that big money with the drink cans. If thats what you are thinking of doing.

accuratelawn
08-22-2000, 05:24 PM
Run an ad in the Newspaper - business for sale.
Price?? 1 to 4 week gross income plus fair market value of you equipment.

PB Landscaping
08-22-2000, 05:27 PM
Richard2:
Where you at?
Let me know email: ParkerCh@UVSC.edu

turfman99
08-22-2000, 08:09 PM
What has gross income got to do with it?? Gross income without gross margin and profit is nothing. Blue sky is nothing.

A percentage of profit after one year if the customers stay that long would be more like it. Contracts are generally not transferable. You do have contracts don't you ?? LM business generally are less than 12% net profit, so I would think that 6 months net profit would do it for a sales price. But I would cavet that with a clause stating the contracts had to stay for two years to recover that profit or you will alwasy be behind the profit level with that group of accounts.

Use equipment is usually just that. Not much more than 40 % of new price if in excellent condition.

Merging ?? Watch your ass there. Lot of flakes out there with no cash and a lot of blowing BS.

bob
08-22-2000, 08:33 PM
I bought out the commercial accounts from a lawn company for 7 weeks worth of cuts. In my area , I'm told the going rate is 8 weeks worth (gross) of cuts.

sunrise
08-22-2000, 11:04 PM
we buy with no more then 3 week worth of mows price and they must sign a contract to stay 1 yr.
we dont buy the mower and other stuff you maybe getting the big problem of the business

gusbuster
08-23-2000, 12:09 AM
Funny how you guys go by weeks, here most of the routes ever sold that I know of go by months. Last time I heard a person selling their route, went for 4 months. I guess because over here we cut all year, it's done differently.
John

bucktail
08-23-2000, 01:11 PM
richard2 may be intrested where are you located? e-mail me!

Twotoros
08-23-2000, 05:33 PM
Around here the going rate is 6-8 weeks mow . Equiptment based on how new and how well maintained .
I did a purchase like this this year and it was a nightmare trying to make these new customers happy .
Some knew they would be dissatisfied before I even showed up the first time . If I do it again I will pay no more than 3-4 mows and purchase no equiptment .
It is better to buy new and get the warrenty and deprecation.
End of the season is a bad time to sell . Wait until spring and find a buyer and train if necessary. Just my thoughts.

chrisbolte
08-24-2000, 12:20 AM
The rate in my area is about 50% of a years gross. Ohio so about 12 to 15 weeks.

richard2
08-24-2000, 01:49 PM
charles- i would have made the turn....got to have full coverage insurance so who cares if you have to get a new car!!!! gonna sell and get a real job.....manage crews...tired of working 60 hours a week.....feild,equipt,billing,cs,taxes.......need i go on? i need more time to myself and less stress.........

Charles
08-24-2000, 07:47 PM
They do have drug test on most normal jobs

BRL
08-25-2000, 12:27 AM
Good point Charles!;) Better keep the mowers maybe.