PDA

View Full Version : bed shaper or bed edger?

turfsolutions
02-10-2003, 07:16 PM
I was looking to purchase an edging machine for this coming season. I have looked at but not demo'd the bed edger and bed shaper. Anyone with experience with either of these machines, or any of the like, let me know what your opinions of them are. Keep in mind that the majority of the edging work I need done is redefining of beds prior to mulching. I am more interested in how they perform for this type of work as opposed to creating new beds. Although I wouldn't mind hearing how they perform when creating new beds.

Thanks for any imput.

fastlane
02-10-2003, 07:52 PM
I like grinding type edger for making new beds. Bed shaper for redefining bed.( you must pick up the slice but no dirt on flowers or beds etc.)

mdb landscaping
02-10-2003, 08:01 PM
ive used the qwik trench machine. it worked awesome. it chews up most of the grass, but you will have to pick through and get a few clumps out. it does a good job of making a nice deep edge, and pushing the dirt up to the side.

Randy Scott
02-10-2003, 08:32 PM
We have a Brown bed edger. It makes a lot of dirt when cutting edges. Even just cleaning them up it creates a fair amount of topsoil. I have not used the bed shaper, but it "appears" that it should make less debris piles. To me, it looks like it may be a little more difficult to keep good straight lines going the way it works, I may be wrong though. I think the debate would be that although the Brown does turn up a lot of soil, you need to get deep enough to make a good "check mark" type cut so you can taper the mulch down below the turf level. It would be nice to run them side by side. The thing I don't like about the bed shaper is it's about $1300 or $1400 more than the Brown bed edger. That's a lot of dough!

bob
02-10-2003, 08:37 PM
I've got a Brown Bed Edger. I paid around $2200. Here's their site, http://www.brownmfgcorp.com/bededger/index.html

paponte
02-10-2003, 09:47 PM
bob, is it really worth the $2200.? Not being sarcastic or anything. I have just never used one in my years. Also, how often do you use it? Thanks.

PaulJ
02-10-2003, 11:53 PM
http://www.turfco.com/turfcodirect/html/edge_r_riteii.html

Check out the Turfco Edge-r-rite It can cut a nice v edge and can cut other shapes as well. But you still have a strip of sod to remove.

Randy Scott
02-11-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by paponte
bob, is it really worth the $2200.? Not being sarcastic or anything. I have just never used one in my years. Also, how often do you use it? Thanks.

I'm not bob, but it definately is worth the money. You can pound out edging like there's no tomorrow with the edger. A little fine tuning with a shovel on the tighter curves and that's it. There's no, and I mean NO comparison between hand and machine. Aside from doing an hours worth of hand labor in 5 minutes, you won't be beat to death after doing it either. If you want to do bed mulching and sell the bed edging also, or create beds, buy one. I would suggest renting one and then you'll be hooked.

paponte
02-11-2003, 12:41 AM
I will have to check one out. Usually when ever I have to mulch beds we just shape them by hand. I have alot of laborers. maybe I can cut back on some costs though. Thanks for the info Randy Scott.

turfsolutions
02-11-2003, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the input so far, still looking for more. I definately agree that the investment is well worth it. Not only do you save many manhours in labor, I know my employees will welcome the machine. Who really enjoys cutting edges by hand, especially in our rocky, root filled, clay soil. I still haven't heard from too many people who have used the bed shaper. Last year it was priced at around $4000.00. This year it is priced at $2900.00. It is a solid looking piece of equipment. The self propelled feature looks real nice. I am only concerned about the cut though. If you have one, let me hear about it. Thanks.

PaulJ
02-11-2003, 01:41 PM
The turfco is self propeled also. Maybe a bit slower.

It has several differnt shapes of cutter blades to use.

A V with one veritcal side , a narrow U , a wide U, a L for skimming sod, and a disc for edging walks

JTHutch
02-11-2003, 06:35 PM
I've used the bed edger by Brown and I love it. Makes putting poly-edging and metal eadging in easy too. I would use it when ever digging edging and it takes care of roots nicely also if they happen to be in the way.

GarPA
02-13-2003, 09:18 AM
I rent the Brown Bed edger all the time....and love it!!! i just brush the soil back into the bed and then mulch. For straight lines I measure, use a string/chalk line/ spray some marking paint and then follow after it....my edges are are perfectly straight...just have to take your time...I have a ? on different pricing methods that I was going to ask here but that might take the thread too far off the original thread...so I'll start another thread

bushwoods1
02-13-2003, 03:32 PM
I rent the brown machine as well, and love it. I"ll never do it by hand again. What a labor saver.

I have found however to really finish the job nicley, take a line trimmer and go along the edge to cut any wild pieces of grass. This really makes the edge look sharp. :D

GarPA
02-13-2003, 04:49 PM
very good tip....I do that as well...makes a big difference

turfsolutions
02-14-2003, 01:10 PM
I was just at a trade show that had the EZ trench machine, they called it the bedscaper. Now we have the Bed shaper that not too many of you recommended, we have the bed edger by Brown Co. that many of you seemed to love. What about the EZ trench machine compared to the bed edger by brown. Any comparions opinions out there? Thanks again for the imput.