PDA

View Full Version : Kubota mower won't start when cold

123hotdog
03-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Battery is over 12

Battery is over 10 under load

Removed glow plugs, hooked them back to the harness and grounded them to the battery. They came on. Bright orange.

Mower won't start using a portable jump start.

It only does this the first thing in the mornin. If I heat the garage up to 60 degrees for a few hours. It doesn't do it.

After it starts the first time of the day, its fine all day long.

Fresh fuel and two new fuel filters. I'm stumped. Help?:cry::cry:

ricky86
03-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Move to Mexico. Does it smoke when first starting it? Sure the glow plug circuit is working?
Lower the viscosity of oil or just get a block heater till things warm. They have a nice one that goes
into coolant. Will heat it hot to the touch in 45min. Goes in place of a freeze plug

dstifel
03-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Don't have the ability to turn key backwards to warm glow plug?

kawakx125
03-21-2013, 05:40 PM
diesels are pretty cold blooded, your fuel isnt gelling up is it?

123hotdog
03-21-2013, 05:59 PM
diesels are pretty cold blooded, your fuel isnt gelling up is it?

I wouldn't think so cause it happens when the outside temp is 40 degrees.

dstifel
03-21-2013, 06:36 PM
40 degrees the coldest it gets or just the tempatures when you try to start it?
Posted via Mobile Device

123hotdog
03-21-2013, 06:39 PM
40 degrees the coldest it gets or just the tempatures when you try to start it?
Posted via Mobile Device

It has trouble starting around 40 and anything below that.

dstifel
03-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Yes i guess maybe I missed it but is it sitting in the garage with tempatures in the twenties all night and then by the time you try to start it it's 40. If so I would say that is normal. Option to plug it in?
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
03-21-2013, 07:01 PM
You need some fuel additive

Dually00-00
03-21-2013, 08:33 PM
Is the engine cranking and smoking out the exhaust while your trying to start it ? You should be able to start it at 40 degrees even with out good glow plugs, just may take a few more cranks.

all ferris
03-21-2013, 09:08 PM
I would say that the engine is not turning over fast enough in the cold weather. Have you tried hooking up jumper cables to it? Have you had the battery load tested?

I had a bobcat that would have trouble starting in cold weather and I put a new battery in it but that didn't solve the problem. It turned out to be the starter. It was weak and it couldn't spin the motor fast enough when it was cold even with a new battery. I put a new starter in and the problem was gone.

123hotdog
03-22-2013, 01:02 AM
I would say that the engine is not turning over fast enough in the cold weather. Have you tried hooking up jumper cables to it? Have you had the battery load tested?

I had a bobcat that would have trouble starting in cold weather and I put a new battery in it but that didn't solve the problem. It turned out to be the starter. It was weak and it couldn't spin the motor fast enough when it was cold even with a new battery. I put a new starter in and the problem was gone.

The battery tested at 10.5 with a load. I have tried boosting it off as well as a portable jump start. The starter makes good sense. I am going to the dealer in the mornin. I put the mower on the truck already. They have agreed to check it tomorrow while on the truck. :clapping:

all ferris
03-22-2013, 09:02 AM
I don't think it is volts you are after when load testing a battery. I thought amps were what you want. Another thing you may check is battery cables and their connections. I have seen bad battery cables cause a no start issue before as well as bad battery cable conections.

123hotdog
03-22-2013, 04:21 PM

You were spot on. I took it to the dealer. They said it was the starter or the battery. Advance Auto tested both and said it was the starter. Kubota dealer wanted over $500 for a starter. Pat's Small Engines wanted $109. Russo power equipment wanted $94. I went to my local starter rebuild shop. They did it for $59 while I waited. Put it on and it fired right up. Problem solved. Thanks to everyone for all your responses.

all ferris
03-23-2013, 08:51 PM
You were spot on. I took it to the dealer. They said it was the starter or the battery. Advance Auto tested both and said it was the starter. Kubota dealer wanted over $500 for a starter. Pat's Small Engines wanted $109. Russo power equipment wanted $94. I went to my local starter rebuild shop. They did it for $59 while I waited. Put it on and it fired right up. Problem solved. Thanks to everyone for all your responses.

Glad you got it figured out