PDA

View Full Version : More Truck questions

sbecker
02-11-2003, 11:50 PM
What is everbodys opinion of cab over design vs conventional cab design. I have never driven a cab over design. Just how much better visibility do you get in one. Any other advantages/disadvantages? Thanks

paponte
02-12-2003, 12:05 AM
I just picked up a UD 1800 cab over. One of the BEST investments I have ever made.Visibility and turning radius are phenomenal. Also I have air over hydraulic brakes. Takes some getting used to, but you will love it when you have a full load in! The 18,000 GVW has a 6 cylinder turbo diesel, putting out around 225 horse. I would highly recommend test driving one, to ANYONE in the market. As far as bad things, Hmmm.. just takes a little getting used to getting in and out of. Since you sit above the wheels, you have to get in over a hump. Driver has to get in using his left leg, and passenger using his right leg. Sounds confusing, but you will see what I am talking about. On a scale of 1-10, it definitely gets my 10 hands down.

ladibugg
02-12-2003, 11:41 AM
Back in the late 50's and early 60's Dodge made a pickup that looked like a van with a bed. They called it the A100. Anyway, it was a cab-over pickup, kind of. You actually sat slightly in front of and along beside the motor. I always thought that would be a great plow truck. You would be able to see the whole plow while you were driving, and because the wheels are partly behind you with such a short wheel base, you could be in and out of a yard in no time. It would be just the same as driving a cargo van that had an open bed. Someday...

morturf
02-12-2003, 12:40 PM
I have a Chevy w-4 which is the same as the Isuzu. I love the Truck. Had it for 5 years now and wonder how I got along without it. It turns on a dime, hauls everything I throw at it and is really easy to drive. My wife likes to drive it!! For plowing, look at the Mitsubishi, they have a 4wd model. If you get this type of truck, you can't go wrong and they cost as much as a 1/2 ton pickup.

Mike

Henry
02-13-2003, 10:01 AM
I'm on my 2nd cabover and like Paponte said, once you get used to getting in and out you'll love it. Mine has a 10' bed, an I-pack box behind the cab and can still turn around in a cul-de-sac with a 16' trailer.