PDA

View Full Version : Toro Dingos

cp
02-12-2003, 03:47 PM
Is there a machine that can compete with the Toro Dingo?

Look at one this week and am very impressed. I like the single power unit with multiple attachments.

let me know if anybody has got one or has used one and how you like it.

thanks Chris..

devildog
02-12-2003, 03:55 PM
The powerhouse http://www.powerhouseequipment.com/ unit is very impressive for the price. Have used one in demo on job site. Would buy this one (have used others on demo) if we were not so dependant on skid steer. With Regards... devildog

hnter
02-12-2003, 05:46 PM
i have a dingo 322 with the standard bucket, tiller, augers, trencher and tree fork...i use it mainly as a post hole digger, for trenching in irrigation and electrical runs, and for loading wheelbarrows (it's too slow to use to move bulk materials)...the tiller works really well, and i've used the hydraulic breaker attachement for taking out steps and walkways...heard one time that there was a stump grinder on the way, but haven't seen one...hear too that the ramrod attachements will fit the dingo,, but haven't tried any...it definitely has its place...has some drawbacks...very hot to use in the summer, as you stand right up against the motor...it can't lift a lot, and it's very unstable on hills (probably feels a little less stable than it is)...driving it on or off a trailer is pretty unnerving until you get used to it...check into the gehl, kanga, ramrod and powertrac as well...i used the powertrac 24-something one time and liked it...

Mark B
02-12-2003, 09:20 PM
I just bought a 425 dingo. I kinda like the walk behind. It is a powerful machine to be as small as it is. Also the controls on the 425 are great. You can drive the machine with 1 hand and do all the turning and still operate the bucket at the same time. It is hard to do with the prowler or the smaller dingos.

ipm
02-12-2003, 09:56 PM
There are several different types now. Kanga has one and even Bobcat has one now. I have only used the Dingo( I cannot remember the model#, but it is the one with tracks) and they do work well. Keep the bucket low:D , I tipped one once and the only thing I could get it back up with was chains and tie downs. Yeah, it took about 3 hours:cry:

PAPS
02-12-2003, 11:08 PM
I could never justify the hefty price tag for these type of machines. They are small, underpowered, and are limited in the type of work you can do in my opinion. However, we do more larger construction projects so for me it would not make sense., but for a small scale jobs, I guess they work great.

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
02-12-2003, 11:46 PM
The dingo is a great machine but as stated the price is way to high.I would buy a nice used skid ster for the prce of a dingo.j.m.o

Scag48
02-13-2003, 01:24 AM
Buy a used or new Bobcat 553. Bigger, you can ride, and you have a little more control over what kind of jobs you can take on with it. Good luck!

David Gretzmier
02-13-2003, 08:43 PM
we have the 222 and lots of attatchments. we use it every day, and love it. at 560 hours it keeps on ticking. our next machine will be the powertrac 1430, which is priced similar but lifts 2x ( 1200 rated, 2400lbs tip)as much. No skid steer fo us now because it tears up everything and then you have to fix the lawn. the dingo and powertrac can be used everyday and almost everywhere. the dingo is an excellent first machine, and the powertrac is a logical 2nd to augment the dingo' s shortcomings. our third purchase will be a used large skid steer for the really big jobs and fast loading.

The new ramrod or the boxer lift alittle more than the dingo ( aprox. 600-800lbs), a little higher, and are definetly worth a test drive, as an alternative to the dingo. The diesel dingo is the smallest one I would consider in the dingo line. the tx425 can't be ridden without modifications, it is a walkbehind only. you will get tired. Daveg

Mark B
02-15-2003, 12:16 AM
I just created a new cover up attachment for my 425 and I backfill a trench with 8 heads per zone spaced 30' in about 20 minutes. It works great for what I do.

gogetter
02-15-2003, 12:28 AM
This doesn't answer your question, but as a funny side note:
Last year at the Louisville Expo, Kanga and Toro Dingo were set up near each other outside and the Kanga got stuck when someone was demoing it in the mud pit. Guess who pulled them out? LOL!

kris
02-15-2003, 04:30 AM
Iíve tried a ramrod but we went with the MT-50 Bobcat.... New this winter.

I can relate to what your saying Paps ...we also do mainly large construction but we were running across a few poor access or smaller jobs and felt we could put this machine to use. Went with the Bobcat mainly because of power, dealer support and brand loyalty. We currently work an 863, 853, 843 and have a real old 743 that is kept around the yard.

PR0 TURF
02-17-2003, 02:38 PM
We were fairly interested in the Dingo when we heard about the vibratory plow for pulling pipe, but the one big disadvantage that we didn't like was that the plow had to stay in a fixed position and could not swivel side to side. That was reason enough for us to not buy it. Bobcat's was very nice also...but didn't like the fact it only came in tracks.
:blob4:

WatervlietAaron
02-19-2003, 04:59 PM
I looked at these type of machines for a year and finally went with a FINN. A little reseach on the internet and I found that the original machine came from Aulstralia. It is my observation that Toro bought the name of this machine and kept the same design.

The Finn is better then all of these machines for these reasons.

Speed It only has one and for that reason I can pretty much run this machine with one hand. There is no reason to have high and low speeds on these types of machines. If you need to go that far that fast your are not using the machine in the right area.

I found myself the most comfortable on the FINN. With a gas tank on each side of you never feel like you are going to fall off.

The FINN has the highest gpm of any machines.

Two hydraulic hookups. One for low flow and one for high flow.

The final point I would like to say is anyone who says these type of machines do not fit into their operation I am laughing. I would love to stop one morning to see four or six of your guys standing around either waiting for someone who is late or wasting time talking about last night episode of Law & Order. This machine replaces two of those people.

As far as attachments I have made a conversion plate so I am compatible with all Bobcat 463 attachments.

http://www.finncorp.com/skidsteer.htm (http://)

PRapoza451
02-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Hi All,
We've had the Dingo 222 for four years now. It increases productivity incredibly. We also have a CAT 246 skid steer and one machine has no comparison to the other. People who say it can't replace a skid steer are right but it's not supposed too. Comparing a full size skid steer to a mini is like comparing a shovel to a backhoe. Most companies can use both right? It does replace two to three laborers. We mulch with it, auger holes for plants, grade out loam for lawns after spreading with the CAT, transplant shrubs, auger holes for drywells, trench for downspouts, rototill planting beds, move small boulders, get into tight spots the CAT can't, etc.... Like any machine you have to learn what it's good for and what it isn't. Having said all that when I replace it I will take a serious look at the ASV RC-30 instead.

Art Stubbs handy 58
02-26-2003, 10:26 PM
Several good macheins have been mentioned... I perfer the RamRod. for one, good medium price for what you get.
second Service(Field Work) easy to work on in the feild.. And you can stand on it....... with the Finn, very, very nice machine. but Pricy.... and the new Bobcat. looks like it is a very nice machine... stopped to see one the other day but it was still being assembled...

The Ramrod offers a lot of nice attachments for the money...
I use mine nearly year around... very little breakdowns for me.

As far as the Dingo gos, i felt like i needed two more hands to operate this machince, did not feel very comfortable at the end of the day and i had to walk behind it, seemed like i struggled with it all day.. just my .02 worth about the dingo and it was a little Pricy for the basic machine w/out the attachments.

wojo23323
03-03-2003, 10:24 PM
I have never used one, but I am going to rent one in the next few weeks. I have a job to spread 18 yds of topsoil in a backyard. How long should it take to move 18 yds of topsoil from the front driveway of a house to the backyard; approx 75 ft.? Thanks.

hnter
03-04-2003, 01:59 PM
it's been my experience that moving that much material would be better accomplished with a bobcat-type loader with a larger bucket capacity...unless you have access issues you might want to go that route...if you can't, and have enough people onsite consider using the dingo to load wheelbarrows and move the soil by hand...you can probably hustle a wheelbarrow much quicker than you can move a dingo--they are slooow...as far as your initial question, i don't know how long it would take to move it solely with the dingo, but they don't hold much and they are slow...if you think of it post back and let me know how you made out...

Lanelle
03-04-2003, 02:22 PM
I agree that the ground speed of the Dingo will frustrate you if you are going more than a few feet.

Turfdude
03-04-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by wojo23323
I have never used one, but I am going to rent one in the next few weeks. I have a job to spread 18 yds of topsoil in a backyard. How long should it take to move 18 yds of topsoil from the front driveway of a house to the backyard; approx 75 ft.? Thanks.

Mike,

You may be better off renting a skid steer to load the soil & dump into 2 10 cu ft wheelbarrows side X side. Just don't overload the barrows. THe dingo bucket is small and the machine is kinda small. It does have good power for its size, but I think you'd be better w/ 2 laborers + yourself on the machine for this job.

Bob

hardscaper
03-05-2003, 05:40 PM
Have a look at the tracked transporters. We have two, they hold about 12.5 cu/ft. per load and will fit through a standard doorway. They have been indispensible on jobs such as yours.http://www.easternfarmmachinery.com/scripts/catalog.pl?F=D&K=VC265800&V=Brief&R=H%2FCatalog%3AIndustrial%3AMini%20transporters&ID=0515132414647131182

David Gretzmier
03-05-2003, 07:51 PM
for 18 yards of soil it will take 100 trips or more from the pile to the back using the dingo. since we have a 222, I can tell you this will take a minimum of 3 minutes per trip, unless you dump the soil right at the back gate. The further away you are, the more time. that puts you about 5-6 hours straight and then you gotta spread. that'll take about half that time, along with some hand raking on the sides. It could be done in a day, but a long 10 hour one . your feet will hurt. I'd estimate the same job w/ 3 wheelbarrows, 3 guys, 3 rakes, 1 8 hour day. a skid could do it in a half day, but you will tear up the yard to and from the pile. add a half day for fixing front, along with any seeding or sod work, and of course, hand raking near obstacles.

this is why we are looking at the power trac. it holds more ( 18 cu. ft ) gets through a 5' gate, and articulates so no tear up. wide tires help disperse weight so less, or no, rutting. still have to hand rake, but the with the dingo eliminates most of that, and one guy with both machines could literally finish this job in 5 hours or less.

with the dingo 222 at 13 grand for a bucket and leveler ( less if you can find one used), and the powertrac at 14 grand with 18cu. ft bucket, you are looking at the price of a new big skid steer at 27 grand. for me, it is a no brainer. With the power trac, you can have your cake and eat it too. the fact we can adapt the power-trac to our dingo implements is icing on the cake. The only use for a skid steer for us is carrying pallets of sod or stone. guess what, most folks you buy that stuff from will deliver it, and place it where ever you want it in the yard.

Dave g

Mark B
03-05-2003, 09:28 PM
what is the power trac? I'm not that familliar with that. I just bought a dingo 425 it works well for me right now. I just had an attachment made so I can backfill the irrigation trenches in about 25 minutes. I have backfilled 300' of trench in 10 minutes.

menchhofer
03-05-2003, 10:15 PM
www.power-trac.com

Just purchased 1430 model. It is a cross between a mini and a standard skidsteer but has articulated steering. Best buy for the money. very useful...many attachments available.

Made by a manufacturer of coal mining equipment in Virginia.

Love it

hardscaper
03-06-2003, 10:22 AM
I guess we are partial to tracked machines with the jobs we work on, they are better suited. If you have the access (ie no gates, doorways) I would look at something like a TCH15MTP, it is tracked self loading (carries 21 cu/ft) and only 43" wide. They are pricey though, I was quoted $21150.00 for one.
http://www.easternfarmmachinery.com/scripts/catalog.pl?F=D&K=VC265TCH15MTP&V=Brief&R=H%2FCatalog%3AIndustrial%3AMini%20transporters&ID=0515132414647131182

MD Land Management
03-06-2003, 12:55 PM
I agree with Byrant from paps Landscape these machines are all to small and underpowered, and way overpriced. You can Buy a kubota B series for what the power house and toro units go for, and if any of you every used a kubota i think you would agree thats the way to go. I wouldn't pay more than 5k for a toro dingo, used it once and never again, Way to underpowered. there are alot of used new holland or bobcats out there for around 12k that are in good working condition that would be a better deal. Theres also another company Ramrod also junk, these machines are only good for moving trees around and small ammounts of mulch, and personally i could move that same ammount of material in less time it would take to load the thing of the trailer, and i didnt pay 16k for the thing either. Good luck guys

Mark
MD Landscape Management
Cherry Hill, NJ 08003

David Gretzmier
03-06-2003, 01:44 PM
MD- I hear your anger and frustration. bear in mind people look at your number of posts and judge your opinion accordingly. try not to call stuff junk if you have not owned it or used it more than a day.

Most people that have the small machine use them everyday for small to midsized jobs. a hustler super z probably feels like a toy to a farmer who mows 100 acres of hay in a day with a TRACTOR. small utility stand on skidsteers have thier use in tight places, little ground damage, and lifting and placing loads in the 300-800lbs range. a kubota tractor is nice, but in tight sides of houses with 8-10 feet from the house to the fence, it won't till in compost, auger the holes for b and b trees and shrubs, and bring the mulch right to the bed. tractors, skids work great on big jobs and have thier place.

bottom line, all the big landscapers around here have tractors and skids. they just sit around waiting for the next big job they can take them on. we use ours every day on every job. if all you do are big open jobs, you don't need one.

Dave g

WatervlietAaron
03-06-2003, 03:26 PM
You just have summed up this whole conversation.

Understand the market you deal with and fit the equipment with the size of the job.

MD Land Management
03-07-2003, 12:07 AM
I understand your point Dave, But can still not get over the prices of these machines. Why is a 13 HP Ramrod, 13k? and thats it not attachments, trailers, nothing just the machine and a bucket i think fo rthat price. Keep in mind the under 400lb lifting cap. Couple more shovel fulls into the wheel barrow and your off, and don't have holes in your pockets either. Believe me If these machines were as much as say a Toro Proline Hydro Walk Behind I would have had one years ago. But their about 3 times that ammount, and you don't get much for what you pay for. Thats my big concern price and Lifting Cap. I Agree these machines are good were you can't get a bobcat or Kubota, but this can't be the onbly piece of Equip on the job, your prolably going to need a bobcat as well as a ramrod, simply because, you can't move as much material as fast with a smaller machine. Just somethings to think about Thanks for your ideas as well.

mark
MD Landscape Management
Cherry Hill, NJ

Mark B
03-07-2003, 12:16 AM
This is my 2 cents. I have had my dingo fer 3 weeks now and it work very well for what I do. I got mine a good price I think it was a demo. The truth I will have something the stand on soon the walking in the mud gets old real fast. I have demoed a 4in bucket I was impressed at what it can pick up. The bucket is OUTRAGOUS they wanted $2,500.00 fer it I told the salesman your crazy!:alien:

PRapoza451
03-07-2003, 10:47 PM
We have had a Dingo 222 for four or five years now and it certainly is worth it for us. What sold me was I had a job planting 150- 2gl. Leyland cypress in a row for a privacy hedge and eight 7-8' cedars B&B. The ground was natural lawn and pretty compacted. I figured about a day and a half with two guys. Well I had a friend that had a Dingo he came over and for $55/hr. he augured all the holes in about 45 minutes. We followed behind him and had the leylands in and backfilled in a couple of hours. The Cedars were done by lunch time. We saved a day of hard digging, hand labor. Paid $100, Dingo contractors minimum. I made an extra $600.00 that day and was able to move on to another job sooner. You don't have to do to many of those jobs per month to see why the Dingo is well worth the investment.