PDA

View Full Version : super w.b.

jeff in ohio
02-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Will the new super wb have faster blade tip speed?
From all the threads I've read, the bigger motor, tires and faster bts on the 48" would make this the perfect walk behind.
thanks, jeff in ohio

Doc Pete
02-12-2003, 11:11 PM
Jeff,
I can't speak for Hustler about these new machines, however, their 54" is similar to what I already have. The 54" with the higher power will turn double "high lifts" at basically "governor" speed without slowing at all. With the governor set at the upper end of it's "accepted" limit, the doubles are humming near the OSHA limit of about 19,000 FPM.
I think many guy's keep looking for a fast tip speed beause most mowers don't have the power to keep the rpm "up there", epecially with doubles and pulling a velky. The 54" with 25 HP will not disappoint you........
Pete

jeff in ohio
02-13-2003, 08:15 AM
pete,
thanks for the input, I'm going to buy a 48" and the bts is alot slower than the 54"( on the current walk behind) and from what i'm reading, there is a difference in cut Quality. If the new super 48
doesn 't have a faster bts do you know of a SAFE way to increase it?
thanks, jeff in ohio

Doc Pete
02-13-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by jeff in ohio
pete,
thanks for the input, I'm going to buy a 48" and the bts is alot slower than the 54"( on the current walk behind) and from what i'm reading, there is a difference in cut Quality. If the new super 48
doesn 't have a faster bts do you know of a SAFE way to increase it?
thanks, jeff in ohio

Jeff,
I'm running my 48 (hustler) at 3,800 rpm with doubles. The 17 kaw pulls the doubles fine. Anyway, with doubles, the cut seems fine. The only difference between the 48 and 54 seems to be the distance the machine throws the grass from the chute. Hustler's high lift blades have a 42 degree sail, which really "stands up" the grass for a good cut.......
Pete

jeff in ohio
02-13-2003, 09:00 PM
Pete,
Sorry ,I don't want you to think that I believe increasing the gov.
is not safe. I just want to know if I can get the blade speed out of a 48" safely. I certantly don't have your level of smarts when it comes to mowers.
thanks, jeff

mowerconsultant
02-14-2003, 06:56 AM
Will the new super wb have faster blade tip speed?
I do not have the Super WB specs yet, there coming soon.
As soon as I get them I will post them.

Later
Pj

Doc Pete
02-14-2003, 11:42 AM
Pete,
Sorry ,I don't want you to think that I believe increasing the gov.
is not safe. I just want to know if I can get the blade speed out of a 48" safely. I certantly don't have your level of smarts when it comes to mowers.
thanks, jeff
And I never thought you did;) I was only mentioning that because every mower I've ever bought came through will a speed of under 3,600 rpm. So, IOW, if the mower comes with a speed of 3,500 and change it to 3,800, that's almost 10%, which is a fair amount..........
Pete