PDA

View Full Version : Truck Signs - Yes or No?

MOW ED
08-23-2000, 07:51 PM
I know some states require lettering on contractors vehicles but how many of you advertise with signs or lettering on the side of your truck?

What do you use - magnetic or vinyl lettering or are they painted?

If you do is it effective for you?
Thanks

Twotoros
08-23-2000, 07:53 PM
Painted on my truck . It almost makes me feel like a real business.

Kent Lawns
08-23-2000, 07:54 PM
On all trucks we have vinyl multi-colored logo, name, phone number is on there but quite small.

excel25
08-23-2000, 08:00 PM
Have sides of 20 ft. enclosed trailer with logo, name, phone ,and services. Have magnetic for truck that I dont use except for helpers truck.

Ocutter
08-23-2000, 08:16 PM
Ed- Actually made mine out of 1x6 and stakes to go into the holes of my pickup bed. Doubles as removable stakes for brush and such. Co. name and # in 4" letters. Looking to go with paint with my next truck.

bob
08-23-2000, 09:15 PM
I don't have any business signs on my truck. Where I live your not suppose to bring home a "business truck". I'm so selective on the accounts that I accept, I'd be afraid of getting a lot of undisirable calls.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
08-23-2000, 09:25 PM
MowEd it's funny that your asking about truck signs I just lost one of my magnetic signs today. I used to have trck lettering the only thing bad about that is if your truck brakes your stuck riding around with a truck with no lettering. But I guess I shouldn't talk too much because one of my signs fell off so it's like the same thing.
Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance

jrblawncare
08-23-2000, 09:34 PM
I have vinyl name and number..had it done this spring for 80.00,,the guy did a nice job and it seems to be holding up well.I have had Magnetic in the past but in time it will start to form rust if you don't remove it often to clean,wash and wax which you should do anyway but you know how that is!!

tlcgrounds
08-24-2000, 12:39 AM
When I first started out I had signs hangging off the back of my trailer(where the lip is. Then I went to big crouded magnetics. They became creased and eventailly stolen. Then I went to vynl. i DROPPED TH EUNNESSECCARY STUF AND KEPT IT SIMPLE. Comp. name on the door, few word slogan and my # on the bed. Its simple, catching, and affordable. I would recommend having a sign studio create your logo. Lawns are our specialty let the artists do thiers and you will be very. I am the only contractor in town who uses nice logos on our trucks. We only have two but people are constantly saying we see you trucks all over town. You must have two crews huh, nope just me and my girlfriend!!!!!. It's good advice. Take pride in your company and make yourself look good!

1MajorTom
08-24-2000, 01:13 AM
we have vinyl lettering on the sides of our truck. Lettering is in green with a patch of grass below our name. Inside the grass our telephone number is cut out.
Looks pretty cool I think.

Don't know why but a lot of the people around here in the green industry, do not have any identification on their truck.

Personally I think it is a great way to get your name out there and recognized.

Jodi

[Edited by 1MajorTom on 08-24-2000 at 04:33 AM]

J MAN
08-24-2000, 01:28 AM
Hey Travis,

I know how you feel. I have had my magnetic signs blow off my truck twice, but both times, I went back looking for them and I found them.

I think I have only gained one customer from the advertising signs on my truck, but the signs do make me look more professional. I am about to put two huge 4' by 8' wooden signs on my trailer. The signs will only have my company name and number, but they will look professional, and they will be big enough for people to actually read them and write the number down.

J MAN

lawnMaster5000
08-24-2000, 03:20 AM
good call bob. there is no way that i would use such a non-selective advertisinig techinque. I have no problem getting all the work i need why should i make myself availabel to all the scrub yards out there.

Kent Lawns
08-24-2000, 04:04 AM
It's not a form of advertising as much as telling your cutomers/potential customers who you are and you're proud of what you do.

Esby
08-24-2000, 05:40 AM
I have two signs that are mounted to both sides of my trailer, they are pretty shard looking, thinking of have my extended cab windows signed with my business name and phone #, i dont want anything too big on my truck as its not only a work truck but my baby!

GrassMaster
08-24-2000, 10:48 AM
Hello Everybody:

We used magnetic signs as much as possible & loved them. If they were $500 a pair they are worth it?

They are the most cost effective advertising out there? Yes, some people will stop & ask you for business cards if you do not have magnetic signs or anything else on your truck? But when I bought my first signs & saw people pulling up to the truck getting the info off it, I knew I had a winner!

Yes, they will mess up your truck, but it's like anything else they require maintanance. All we did was just pull them off at least once a week & wiped off the sign & the truck. Never had a problem at all. If you do that & make sure they are on there good, you will not have to worry about them blowing off. Yes somebody might steal them, so just consider it a big compliment if they do?

Then if you need the truck for personal use, I would just remove them, because I always had nice truck for me & I wonder why?

OBRYANMAINT
08-24-2000, 11:20 AM
i use vinal signs also the sign company designed it from my ideas i also only have a few truck but people always say they see my trucks all over the place as if i had a fleet obviously an attention getter hold up real well

Bobby
08-24-2000, 04:36 PM
In south Fla, we are required by law to have signs. I was pulled over by the sheriff once and awarded a citation. He informed me that it was a (jailable offence)to have a commercial vehicle without lettering. And if that wasn't bad enough,I had to go to court.When I got there, they had me grouped with wife beaters,child abusers and real criminals instead of traffic court.
Any of you mowing cops know why that might be?

bucktail
08-24-2000, 05:48 PM
Just thought I would put in my 2 cents you can make money off of scrub lawns to, sometimes more!

SJR Lawncare
08-24-2000, 05:54 PM
I have 2 forms of advertising: #1 Customer referalls from my happy customers to their friends & family. #2 Magnetic signs on the doors of my truck, which generate many calls that I can deceide if I want to pursue their requests. I can pull off the magnets when I dont want them on. (like when I dump debris at the county landfill & not have to pay commercial fees) Overall, I think signs look more professional & generate more business.

SJR Lawncare

Toroguy
08-24-2000, 06:56 PM
I agree with both sides of the sign debate. As a solo operator near workload capacity, I dont need the advertisement. I do think it raises a company up a notch on Stones Lawn Care Food Chain. If I was a Larger operation I would say the signs are a must.

I must also say that you should not put a sloppy sign on a sloppy appearing vehicle. The prevailing wisdom would indicate a sloppy operator. In most cases.

yardsmith
08-25-2000, 01:27 AM
We use magnetic door signs on the truck; have stickers ready to go on the trailer too.
A big reason is the more you're seen & they know WHO or WHICH ONE you are among the many LMC's out there, you can stick out in their mind, cuz they have yer name & number.Also it tells them which co. you are after they see the quality of your work, esp. if they can't stop or run up & ask at that moment.
Nothing wrong with exposure; it just gives you more (& usually better) customers to pick & choose from!!! You can always turn down what you don't want :)

eslawns
08-25-2000, 02:10 AM
Had signs until there was a major flood of new business. Took them off to clean and they got damaged. Good advertising idea, but next time I'll get aluminum ones and put them on the trailer sides. Then, when I tow the boat, it's just my truck.

As a "mowing cop" I'd have to say that I'm unaware of any law here (VA) which reqires a bus. to display signs on vehicles. WHAT A STUPID LAW!!! Just because something is a good idea, (seat belts, licensing for "Roundup" spraying, helmets) does not mean it should be a law.

Eric ELM
08-25-2000, 09:07 AM
As you saw a couple weeks ago, none on mine.

eggy
08-25-2000, 02:57 PM
Yea we use spray paint///on the trucks looks good hahahahaha!!!!

thelawnguy
08-25-2000, 04:15 PM
No signs lets me be selective in what customers I take. Plus I dont have to worry about zoning officer.

kenneybros
08-25-2000, 09:58 PM
Signs help you pay for your equipment. If you have a 20 foot enclosed trailer, thats a lot of money that you have spent. With 200 or 300 dollars more you have a 20 foot long mobile billboard that is infront of those beautiful lawns you mow. You can easily make the money for the trailer. like several people have said you will have more work to choose from, and if you are busy and you keep getting calls about more jobs, then you are doing a good job, your billboard worked, and you can hire more people. What do you have to lose????? I know it wont be the 2 or 3 hundred the logo cost you!

Kent Lawns
08-26-2000, 07:43 PM
Oh, come on!

This selecting your customers is arrogant. Of course you weed out customers, but do you guys think you have all THE BEST customers?!

Wouldn't you want to be able to pick up more profitable ones and drop any lesser ones you have?

If you don't want a customer, tell them you're full or give them a high price.

Saying you don't have a sign on your rig because you don't want to attract new business is like saying you wear shabby clothes on the beach to you don't attract women.

If nothing else you could get a referral fee from a fellow lawn guy.

Evan528
08-26-2000, 08:08 PM
Kent lawns,lets face it, the best costomers are from referals... right? With a sign you get all types of costomers, many are probly price shoppers. Im not saying i agree im just trying to explain his logic.

Kent Lawns
08-26-2000, 08:19 PM
Signs attract customers. Agreed.

Signs attract customers where your truck is, working in neighborhoods.

If you're already working in a neighborhood, wouldn't you want to do every lawn in there for the right price?

lawrence stone
08-26-2000, 08:34 PM
The only indentification required by law in PA is the
6 digit pesticide license number which I have in the
min. height of 3" with on other identification.

My business is my business and I only am interested in
large industrial and athletic field work.

Since I just sell direct I have zero advertising costs.
And have all my jobs lined up b/4 the season starts so
I don't have to chase down new residental work in the
growing season.

thelawnguy
08-27-2000, 08:49 AM
"Oh, come on! This selecting your customers is arrogant. Of course you weed out customers, but do you guys think you have all THE BEST customers?! Wouldn't you want to be able to pick up more profitable ones and drop any lesser ones you
have?"

By not having a sign you eliminate all the bargain hunters, 10pm "mow my lawn while Im away" calls, and comparison shoppers. Your sole source of calls will be referrals, who are usually pre-sold. This way you have no less profitable or undesirable customers to weed out.

Like Lawrence said, you control your business this way, and dont end up as a puppet to the telephone.

I too have a full schedule before I cut the first blade in April. I usually only lose customers due to death or change of venue. Referrals fill any gaps.

Eager Beaver
08-27-2000, 09:46 AM
I have had magnetic signs on my truck for the last 5 years. You will be surprised how many people will be jotting your name and number down at stop signs. Have also stopped at gas stations and had people waiting outside next to the truck to ask for a business cards. For myself if you are protraying a professional image the signs are a must and a great "Moving Billboard"

Kent Lawns
08-27-2000, 11:19 AM
You need to raise your prices of you're full before the season starts.

My most $ customers are the ones who are too busy earning a living (salesmen, generally) and have me mow 2 weeks after the season starts.

I name my price on those jobs bigtime, often generating $60.00/hour or more.

It takes 30 seconds on the phone to tell a customer you're full and cannot do their lawn this year. -- That's a small price to pay for a potentially juicy account.

I guess all the sucessfull companies I know (In lawn care and other industries) advertise to pick-up new busniess.

If you're growing fast without adverising, you're not charging enough money.

jaclawn
08-28-2000, 07:31 AM
What if you need to steal something, or dump something illegally, would you want your name in giant letters on the side of your truck? Just kidding.

Truck lettering can be a way of getting new business. The signs will definalty pay for themselves with one job. THey do add to some nusinance calls though.

thelawnguy
08-28-2000, 07:49 AM
"You need to raise your prices of you're full before the season starts. "

I would prefer to charge a little less and have a full schedule of long term customers than spend my days sorting thru a customer base that is constantly turning over. You can always raise prices later if need be. It takes time (and cost money) to scope out and bid jobs, and with the higher priced accounts if you close 30 per cent then thats 70 per cent who you measure quote etc and recieve nothing in return.

Please dont say you get all the jobs you quote, then its YOU who isnt charging enough!

Each his own. For a growing business a sign is the best marketing tool you can have but for an established operation which has settled at a comfortable level for its operator (as my business has) a sign can be nothing but a needless nuisance.

yardsmith
08-29-2000, 01:21 AM
Some one FINALLY hit the nail on the head- congrats Bill.
It all depends on where you are in biz-looking for more or better, or you already have a full plate. I use them myself, because I still have room to grow.
Jaclawn, you must be reading my mind about doing naughty things with your truck-that's why I have mag. signs; I can take them off in a second! :)