PDA

View Full Version : Pricing metal edging

LAWNPROzII
02-14-2003, 10:56 AM
Been getting a few calls about metal edging installs. I usually charge $35 per man and try to gestimate how long it's suppose to take us. I was just wondering if you any of you guy's charge by the foot. If so, how much? I think this would be better way of giving bids than trying to gestimate. Thanks for any help.

imalandscper
02-14-2003, 05:25 PM
I do not know what you guys think about that metal edging but i would never put it in and have never seen an install that looks good 2 seasons later. What about everyone else?

blafleur
02-15-2003, 07:04 AM
It may have area preferences, but I use it here in north Texas with decent results. It will look good for 7-8 years, so not perfect, but because of bermuda grass, we cant do a no edging bed. I always try to talk the customer into something more permanent, but about half of them go with it to save up front money.

I double what I pay for the edging for installation of the eging,extra for special prep or tear out.

brentsawyer
02-15-2003, 07:31 AM
If they want it, I'll give it to them. Last year I charged $3.50'. Wholesale it was a about $1.50, I think. Honestly, it is a real pain and I should probably charge more but it is usually put inconjuction with something else that makes up for it.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
02-15-2003, 09:21 AM
I call that 7 11 edging. I never cared for the plastic or the metal too much.

LAWNPROzII
02-15-2003, 11:29 AM
imalandscaper, in your area there may not be great demand for edging but in mine all the new up to $300,000-$500,000+ houses
are installing beds with metal edging. Maybe the edging you've seen hasn't been installed correctly or something. Thanks for everyones replies.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
02-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Not really. Most guys install it pretty good. I just think that it doesn't look natural to me. Most guys I know go with a nice deep spade edge. I didn't mean to knock you. Hey if it works for your area thats great. Its all about supply and demand right. Travis

brentsawyer
02-15-2003, 01:01 PM
Alot does depend on the installer. All it takes is one bad installer to kill several possible leads. However, done right, it can sell itself well IMO. Thinking about using it on my house, good reason is that I want a little of everything to show people what can be done and the edging can go for an entirely different look as compared to curbing.

David Gretzmier
02-18-2003, 01:29 PM
I would at least triple your cost on installed metal edging. around here it costs less than a dollar a foot to buy 1/8 thick 4" metal

Daveg

imalandscper
02-18-2003, 03:34 PM
I agree with the installer view and that is why i stake the $hit out of my edging. 12" spike every 2 feet and About 1 foot on curves. That and the way i make my joints is something that i do not see often enough. Mine as less likely to seperate than a person who just buts them and spikes them. All the metal edging i have seen has heaved