PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the Toro ZTR mowers?

AGG Lawn Maintenance
08-23-2000, 09:07 PM
I just tested Toro ZTR today with a 22 hp kaw,62" deck and liquid cooled. It goes about 9.5 mph. I have rode the Bobcat,Exmark,and Scag ZTR's. We have 6 Bobcat dealers in my area. I have only one Toro dealer within my cutting route and 5 within about a 15 mile radius. The one Toro guy I deal with is a landscaper and feels my pain when things brake and jumps right on it. I just need to know the pros and cons before buying it. I know Eric is a Chopper man but we don't have a chopper deal that close to us. The cash price is about $7,600 with tax. If I go with the payment plan with $2,000 down payments would be about $198 a month for 36 months at 6.9% Not a bad rate huh?
Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance

Evan528
08-23-2000, 09:21 PM
how did you like its performance? I have a 62inch z master with a 25hp kohlor. I have nothing but praise for it. Curs awsome in all conditions and has an exellent ride.... not to mention that it is built exellent. This mower holds hills very good and workes great even on small lawns with alot of obstacles. I say Go for it!

DanG
08-23-2000, 11:53 PM
I think they cut great in all conditions,and they hold hills really well.
I've used scag's turf tiger and Toro's Z-masters at the same time and the toro beats them hands down.
It throws clippings better and just seems to be a better made machine.
I think the price is a little high though $7800 for that machine? I bought my Z-master 255 /25hp kolher with a 72" deck for $8200.00 out the door

chrisbolte
08-24-2000, 12:09 AM
Do you by chance have any Gravely dealers in your area? I use a Gravely zero turn and I love it. The have 50 and 60 inch decks. They are very close to maintence free. Check out their website. Email me with questions. ChrisBolte@aol.com

Kent Lawns
08-24-2000, 03:21 AM
That's a good price. The liquid cooled used to be a $800 option over the air-cooled.

Next year the LC Kaw will have 27hp.

[Edited by Kent Lawns on 08-24-2000 at 07:24 AM]

Stinger
08-24-2000, 09:16 AM
Travis: Check out alamia.com they have a Z Master 62" with a 25 Kohler for $7,395 (shipping included). Also a friend of mine got a 60" Z track for $160 a month, financed through
John Deere. P.S. Dealer cost on the 62/25 unit is $6,400 my landlord is a Toro dealer.

[Edited by Stinger on 08-24-2000 at 01:25 PM]

AGG Lawn Maintenance
08-24-2000, 02:35 PM
I Loved the performence!!! I'm thinking about trading my girl friend in for the mower. (LoL's) The liquid cooled mowers are so quiet. I can creep up on peoples lawns. Chris we used to have a gravely dealer in my area, as a matter of fact I had two Gravely Pro 50 mowers back in the day.
Travis AG&G lawn Maintenance

thelawnguy
08-24-2000, 02:48 PM
What are the pros and cons between the 100 200 and 300 series toros? Also between the midmount and front mount mowers? Do the decks flip up on all the z toros? I need to save my knees, and the TT is getting on in years and hours. Starting to think about a rider. But Im a little behind the times with all the different variations in what, from the outside, seem the same machine.

TrimPro
08-24-2000, 04:55 PM
Either something's wrong with the math or someone's giving you a story. With the numbers you're listing the interest comes out to 16.4%.

cutntrim
08-24-2000, 09:41 PM
Travis,

We bought a demo Z-Master 20hp/52" w/40hrs on it this spring. We tried Exmark, Walker, and Ransomes as well as the Toro. My personal favorite was the Exmark but the Z-Master was a very close second. The Walker is really a different breed of cat and the Ransomes dealer said no sale w/o buying the $800 ROPS so we said screw that.

We've put about 200hrs on the Zee so far. What we like: It's fast, very fast. Cuts clean even at near-top speed. Can get into more areas with it than you'd think. What we don't like: Scalp rollers are very easy to whack and bend out of alignment - then they become scalp makers. Deck seems less rugged than competitor's. Pain in the ass to scrape it. Compared to our WB's it sucks on inclines.

For tight residential lawns I'd recommend either a Walker or a hydro WB. For wide open spaces the Z-Master is great, and that's really why we bought it. The reason we went with it over Exmark is we save a couple grand with it being a demo, and we financed it for 24mo @ 0% interest with taxes up front. Too good of a deal to pass up.

Dave

DanG
08-25-2000, 12:12 AM
I have to agree with cutntrim,
The anti-scalp wheels aren't the best.On the 52" deck they tend to stick out and get banged up all the time (mostly the right front one) and i've had to weld in supports in the middle of the deck to keep it from flexing down (it kept leaving twin scrape marks )hitting head stones tends to beat them up quickly
So they never point straight ahead for long.
All in all it a good machine and compared to the old hustlers I was using it's like riding on a cloud : )

southside
08-25-2000, 08:57 AM
I demoed a Z-Master the other day + diesel pro-line and
the steering did not impress me at all.Too sloppy and
unresponsive.Much prefer my Walker.

Karl

cutntrim
08-25-2000, 08:02 PM
As Karl says, the Walker is certainly the more nimble and manueverable of the pair. However, it depends what type properties you intend to use the machine on. While the Walker's responsive steering may be more advantageous on tight residential lawns, the Z-Master is much faster on wide open commercial sites.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
08-25-2000, 08:27 PM
Trimpro, I might have messed up on the total. He gave me a couple of different prices on different mowers. The 6.9% is a special in order to push out mowers for by the fall. Cutntrim, The areas we will be cutting are mostly wide open some 2 + acres. I agree Exmark is at the top of the line. I used a 60" and 72" Exmark before the 72" mower really cooks.
I don't really like the deal in my area. The Toro dealer in my area is right on top of things. He owns a landscaping business too. He has a crew that works for him while he runs the Toro Dealership. He knows what its like to be without a mower. Besides Toro has a very good warranty. When I buy a mower I like to know I'm going to get good and fast service. After all my wallet depends on it.
Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance

Grasscape Inc
08-26-2000, 08:08 AM
If your only going to have one hydro rider, buy from dealer, not manufacturer. If it breaks very few dealers have zero down time. The one that does, buy a model they sell. To heavily rely on one mower is dangerous. Used to be there quite a while back. The Toro's are nice machines.
WE have tor ZTRS, walkbehinds, scag walkbehinds, and JD Ztracks out-front. I wouldn't recommend buying online for your first moer, you'll need the dealer support. For additional models, it may be the way to go.

toddman35
08-26-2000, 09:48 AM
we have a toro 153 w/ a 23hp kohler. I love it, it cut my mowing time in half compared to my john deere f525 with a 48" deck. The cut is awesome even at 9.5 mph. If you do get a compact get a 23hp kawasaki or kohler, it is a lot!! better to have the extra speed. Hope this helps

Dave
08-26-2000, 01:11 PM
I would go with the dealer that will give you a machine ,if you had a major failure,esp. if the machine was goin to tied up for a week or so,down time is money lost,andposs lawns lost.and get one with the kawasaki instead of the kohler,seems kohler has a lot more failures

southside
08-27-2000, 02:57 AM
If you are looking at mowing large open areas,then maybe you
should look at the Groundsmaster series with 72" deck or a
similar JD or Kubota machine. We use our Walker on large
commercial jobs as they still have a lot of tight areas to
negotiate,and most jobs here are bagged year round.

Karl

Kent Lawns
08-27-2000, 09:46 AM
They make 3 different models of Toro 72" GroundsMaster.

Compared to their 72" ZTR, all the Groundsmasters are way more expensive, less maneuverable and require more meintenance.

GroundMasters are more versitile, though, accepting a wide range of attachments and the life span on a GroundsMaster may be longer - especially the liquid-cooled ones.