PDA

View Full Version : What kind of CUSTOMER BASE do you have?

J MAN
08-24-2000, 01:10 AM
What size customer base do you have? Like 20 or 100. Are they mostly residential or commercial? And do you work part time or full time -that definitely affects your customer base. About how often do you get new customers? Like every day or once a week or once a month? AND FINALLY are you satisfied with the size of your customer base? or are you always looking for new customers and ways to expand?

J MAN

MOW ED
08-24-2000, 07:57 AM
Part time.
24 lawns of various size done over a 14 hour period per week (2 days with maintenance)
I do much better at the beginning and end of season with extras over a large customer base (thatching, spring/fall cleans, edging)

I'm looking to expand the applications end next year.

Yes I could use a few more but not many.

jeffyr
08-24-2000, 08:29 AM
Ditto for me (I mean same as mow ed).
But I need to slow down...gonna burn out if I take on any more work and still work another job. just gotta get another couple of customers so I can cut a couple loose (next season) that I don't like. This will also condense the route to a smaller area to give me more cuts in less time.

jeffyr

kcameron
08-24-2000, 09:12 AM
Part time. My customer base has steadied off for now, but always on the lookout for more. Just finishing my first season. Like it so far, enough to look into investing money (equipment I have is small, but paid for). Just trying to get my name out there.

WALKERMOW
08-24-2000, 11:18 AM
jman- fulltime here with 83 accounts in my 6th year and wish i would have started 15 years ago instead of spending the worst 10 years in a foundry...i have 26 commercial accounts the rest residential, it is not a wealthy life by far but a good honest living that keeps me from being a couch potato... currently i have 3 emp that do a great job for me, there are several days that i run 2 trucks and the other day they take care of the schedule while i run errands and bid jobs and go fishing (NOT) i wish ...not advertising for any new jobs but word of mouth keeps em coming and when i find a better customer i cull a bad one..culled 12 at the beginnig of the season to make room for some more commercial accounts..if i can help just email me good luck with your business

Acute Cut
08-24-2000, 11:29 AM
I have just over 90 accounts now and still lookin to grow. I only have 3 commercial sites, but wish i had 90. There is an over abundance of lawn scrubs in my area. I would say that there are probably 30-40 lawn companies here. Our population is only at about 60,000. I have been talking to some other friendly companies here and they like the idea of the business license check as posted earlier on another thread.

I have a ton of residentials. But they go pretty fast. I use an Exmark 52" on almost all of them. I have a 36" WB belt drive that i can use on back yards if needed, but it is slower than my new Ariens gear drive 21".

More accounts is always nice, but this year i am really pushing for the "full service" for the lawns. SO many of my customers just want it cut and dont care about crab grass, or dandelions and so forth. They just want it cut down to the dirt so it looks like thier neighbors golf course green turf. I actually did this for a customer MUCH to my DISAPPROVAL. I pleaded with her not to make me do it. I do it though. Level one on the Exmark with Double blades. Her lawn hasnt grown an inch in over a month. It has also taken on this wonderful puke yellow color. She wont water and doesnt want me to do anything more to the lawn. I cant even fert.

We usually get about 3-4 residentials done per hour. I have 18 today, and figure ill be done by 1 or 130. (start at 8)

Dam i love my job!

Acute Cut

AGG Lawn Maintenance
08-24-2000, 04:17 PM
We cut 100 lawns in five a five day week. we have one small apartment complex, one resturant and the rest are residentials. I use two 48" Bobcat mowers.Two guys cut and one guy weed wacks. I plan to get a 62" Toro to make our days shorter. Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance

RYAN
08-24-2000, 04:21 PM
I have around Seventy Five lawns now. I have added five in the last week but that is unusual for this time of year. Looking to expand into commercial lawns and hire some Employees and Buy a new mower to keep up. I also plan to raise the prices on a lot of my jobs.

GrassRoots Lawn Care
08-24-2000, 05:50 PM
46 accounts, 45% commercial. Always looking for more, especially going into the Fall/Winter.

sunrise
08-24-2000, 07:39 PM
full time 2 1/2 crew doing 150 res. mows and 78 commercal mows. plus fert 1/2 of all mows.
But will only keep 3/4 of commercial mows til nxt year. sell the off
2nd year on my own no partner or boss

little green guy
08-24-2000, 08:33 PM
Full time/ part time. I am still in high school so i have to cut down during the school year. What i do is during school I only do mowing and cleanups and stuff. We spread the lawns out all week. But during the summer I work full time, mon- fri, we do all the lawns in like a 1 1/2 days and the other 3 1/2 days we do landscape installs. Two of my friends work for me. We cut with a 52" scag hydro, 48" bobcat and 36" exmark

25 accounts, 1 commercail
I would like to grow my lawns up tp about 50 next year.

Parrot
08-24-2000, 08:56 PM
full time. about 40 yards, 3 comm the rest residential. all by my lonesome.
enough's enough.

J MAN
08-24-2000, 09:09 PM
Well, I guess I should say what I have. I am only part time because I am a sophmore in college and this is my second year in the business. This year I really turned cutting grass into a business for me. At the end of last year's season, I got a 48" Exmark Lazer Zhp, and this year I went from about 7 lawns to 25. Only about 3 of those lawns are commercial lawns. I am begging to wonder what number of lawns is my limit. I usually work by myself, but occasionaly I work one of my friends, and that's when I found out how hard it is to find good and dependable help.

Esby
08-24-2000, 10:22 PM
I am working part time right now because it is rather dry, but otherwise it is a full time job. Currently i have 33 accounts for mowing and am working to get a few more as next year roles around. I have been in the business for 4 years and I plan on doing this for about 4 more until i graduate from college, then it may be time to move onto something else. I generally work by myself, although it is starting to get more difficult to stay solo. Most all of my accounts are residential, but that is fine because about half of them are very large, taking around 3 man hours each. For mowers i have a Exmark Metro HP 48" and a 21" ariens self-propell. Looking to buy a Lazer Z with a 60" deck next year so i can continue to expand.

J MAN
08-24-2000, 10:49 PM
Yeah Esby,

You should definitely get a 60" Lazer Z. It will really cut your mowing time down; I used a liquid cooled for a few days and it hauled ass, but I would not get a liquid cooled. It is just something else to go wrong, but I am sure you have your own opinion on that.

eslawns
08-25-2000, 01:56 AM
30 Res. & 3 Comm. including a city contract that sends me as many as 50 yards in a month (just to cut one time.) No install or irrigation work. Work alone mostly. Help has been unreliable. I'd be able to double over the next 2 years with a good helper. I just put an ad in the yellow pages (not just name/#) and the phone has not stopped ringing. I pay the help $9/hr but there are easier jobs for more $$. Too bad, because I'd pay $15/hr for a good helper.

J MAN
08-25-2000, 03:38 PM
Yeah eslawns, a good helper seems to be the hardest thing in the world to find.

KirbysLawn
08-25-2000, 11:23 PM
Stone, you've posted twice and still have not responded to the question at hand.

As for me, 29 res mowing accounts and 5 fertilizing accounts part time.

raymow
08-25-2000, 11:30 PM
I MOW OVER 70+ PROPERTIES EVERY WEEK,
I HAVE 1 HELPER WHO WORKS AVG.42HRS.M-F THAT LEAVES
MY SON AND I TO DO THE REST.
THIS IS MY FIRST FULLYEAR ALTHOUGH I HAVE BEEN AT
IT SINCE 93' PAART-TIME TO FULL TIME SEEMS TOBE
HOW WE ALL GET STARTED.

IRISH
08-25-2000, 11:37 PM
Fulltime/All the time
60 lawns 4 cemeteries (2 hugeones)Diggin graves too.
3 Guys nothing but Toro Walkbehinds,and Sthil hand equipment.
Always lookin for more

Grasscape Inc
08-26-2000, 09:19 AM
40% commercial
40% high-end residential
20% midclass residential

Davis TLC
08-26-2000, 10:42 AM
Part time with 14 accounts. 2 commercial accounts, 12 residential. Bidding on a big commercial account now for next year. I work solo most of the time, my wife helps when her work schedule allows. Always looking for more lawns to do.

Jay Beckman
09-05-2000, 02:56 AM
I only have 12 accounts but they are all commercial. Prices range from $500 a month to $3500 a month.Apartments mostly but a few car lots and retirement community.All are year round contracts so I make most of my profit in the winter.
I will no longer submit bids for residential.We advertise as strictly commercial/industrial maitenance.

landscaper3
09-05-2000, 03:35 PM
We service year round residential and commercial mowing and plowing services, Two large schools with athletic fields, 5 large commercial acounts,2 condos and 15 to 20 residential. Walker mowers and an old Toro pro-line 52" w/behind that wont die. Looking too double in size now bidding on some larger condos and commercial buildings threw 6 real estate companys.

Ideal Landscaping
Here in sunny but getting colder Maine (oh no fall clean-up is almost here)

Getmow
09-05-2000, 04:38 PM
Full time / part time. 115 regular maint. accounts. These are about 60 %res and 40% comm. and include a couple of cemeteries (the largest is 9 acres). I have 3 part timers now. During the summer it was 2 full and one part time. I will probably down size if I can make it through the rest of this year. So the only new accounts I take on now are VERY profitable.

Getmow
09-05-2000, 05:47 PM
Stone,
The work is hard but there are never any complaints (from the residents). Actually with my fire house job I need flexability with scheduling. With the right chemicals the cemeteries can be very managable.
i will keep the high money : man hour jobs , work about the same but pay fewer employess.

Getmow
09-05-2000, 06:07 PM
A round up / surflan combo worked pretty good. I got 2 months out of it. Next year i will try a growth inhibitor all the turf.

bob
09-05-2000, 06:14 PM
I put in 35 - 50 hours a week. I have %76 commercial and %24 residential. I wish I had started getting commercial lawns a long time ago. No grips from any of the customers, ever!

rosco2350
09-05-2000, 09:47 PM
I have 15 residential lawns and plan on expanding after I graduate from High School. Mowing for part time pays for my car insurance and repairs. Also for more repairs on my lawn mowers. My customers think I do a great job and they always hope I come back to mow their yard next year. That is why I plan on mowing next year because I like mowing grass and making people happy.

little green guy
09-05-2000, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the offer but i'm pretty set on mowers for now. I want to buy a rider in the spring but I got 4 walkbehinds.

I know you realy want to sell that thing. If I here of anybody that wants it though I'll let you know.

I'm a Junior now, still got some time to serve. I get out early though cause of work study program.