PDA

View Full Version : Cost of rocks by ton

sgallaher
02-15-2003, 04:59 PM
I am planning on adding ponds to my services this year and was just wondering the cost of rock per ton?
1/4" - 3" gravel rock
6" - 12" granite cobble stone
18 - 24' granite boulder

Any help would be great, just trying to figure out prices
Thanks!

Skippy
02-15-2003, 06:32 PM
Rock is usually sold by the yard. It depends on what you want size and type also washed and unwashed is another thing. Prices change whereever you are and who you go to to get it most places have price lists and will be happy to fax them or send snail mail, you could also stop by any quarry or pit ar construction office and get a list. Just my .02$:cool:

KCLandscape
02-15-2003, 08:46 PM
www.houseofrocks.com (http://)
I get it by the ton, wholesale
This is the kind of place you need to find
Let your fingers...

pjslawncare/landscap
02-15-2003, 08:58 PM
I get my rock by the ton also. I get river bedding rock (1" to 2.5") for $8.50 per ton. I also got some flag stone last summer for $85.00 per ton. Im sure this varies from location to location though

sgallaher
02-15-2003, 09:30 PM
Thanks for your replys, it helps!

Steve

hosejockey2002
02-16-2003, 12:13 PM
The cost of rock will vary tremendously by region, depending on wages in the area, how close you are to the pit, etc. Around here it's sold by the ton. When I'm looking, I usually just call around to get the best price for a particular location.

Randy Scott
02-16-2003, 12:38 PM
I never could figure out why people ask the cost of a product on a board that covers the world. Call YOUR local yards. Getting prices for material from someone in a different state is a good way to run your business into the ground. Check with your local sources and check with more than one, they will vary also.

GarPA
02-16-2003, 01:09 PM
red gravel...3/4"...$28 ton

Stonehenge
02-16-2003, 01:46 PM
You really need to do some investigating among your local suppliers - you will likely find a wide variation even there. The prices I get here reflect the availability of that kind of stone here, the discounts I get for the volume of business I do, and the profit margin of the supplier. Each one of those things can drive the price up or down a great deal.

Call a few of your local stone yards and see what they quote you. I'm sure they'll be happy to send you a price list.

Good luck,

Jeff

dougaustreim
02-16-2003, 01:54 PM
Having bought a lot of rock over the last 30 years of various kinds for many different jobs in many locations, I can say that except for some really unusual stuff, almost all rock is the same price at the pit or quarry. 95% of the variation in rock costs relates to transportation issues. We're luck in a way that one of the best washed plants for river rock etc in the whole midwest is right here in town. We haul ourselves direct from the pit so cost is very reasonable. When we travel out of the area to work, we sometimes get an eyeopener when we start adding 100 or 200 miles in transportation.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

bobbygedd
02-17-2003, 04:32 PM
our standard price list: 3/8-3/4 " red, deleware, sunset stone=$130 per ton. 1 1/2 " red, del, sunset=$150 per ton. 3/4" marble, pink, white, blue= $155 per ton. price includes material, delivery, instalation(in most cases) basically, we charge $102 over the price of the stone. hope this helps

JTHutch
02-17-2003, 11:44 PM
Just what ever you do and however much it costs you make sure you charge enought to cover your cost and the labor. Make a profit, that's the bottom line.