PDA

View Full Version : Pruning and shearing

turfman59
02-15-2003, 08:15 PM
What times of the year are best for pruning and shearing deciduous and evergreens? I have several clients that will require maintenance

AGLA
02-15-2003, 10:40 PM
If it flowers, the best time to prune it is just after it is done blooming. This is because it has not yet set flower buds for next year and you are removing areas of seed growth saving some of the plants energy that can be put into bud production instead of seed production.

If it is evergreen (non flowering), it is best to shear just after the new years growth has slowed down and begun to harden off. Usually around July. This way you can easily see that you are not removing all of this years growth to make sure that it will produce good vegetative buds for next season. It will also insure that it will not thin out when it drops older needles in the fall or spring. Another obvious benefit is that the plant has its desired shape from July until the quick growth between May and the end of June each year. If you trim before it has hardened off you may get browning on the edge of the cuts.

Others will tell you different. I explained my case based on my experience, the plants needs and clients best interest. Many maintenance people will tell you that the best time to trim evergreens is between late fall and late winter when you have nothing else to do. It will be very difficult to tell the difference between the last two years of growth and the plant will be shaggy from June 'till the time you prune it.

turfman59
02-16-2003, 06:09 PM
Thanks ! How about Barberry and Burning bush, privets and currants

turfman59
02-16-2003, 06:25 PM
Thanks

lawnstudent
02-16-2003, 11:43 PM
The dormant season is the best time to prune because leaves are gone and do not obstruct the view of the pruner. Also, disease pathogens are not present (in the nothern regions) and the plant's heal the fastest in spring.

Trees such as elms, birches, American Yellow-wood and maples will ooze sap if pruned before they leaf out. Let the sap rise in these trees before pruning.

Pruning immediately after flowering is the best way to maximize flowering the following year for spring flowering deciduous shrubs. Spring flowering shrubs should be pruned no later than June 15th. because that is when they will start to harden-off. Pruning after this date is bad because pruning stimulates new growth and you do not want new growth that has not had sufficient time to harden-off. Summer flowering shrubs should be pruned during the dormant season. Spring flowering shrubs also can be pruned in the dormant season. They all will heel faster if pruned in the dormant season, but this will affect their flowering.

Needled evergreens should be pruned in late spring after the flush of new growth. Broad-leafed evergreens should be pruned prior to their spring flush of growth if increased canopy density is your goal.

Japanese Barberry? Prune when dormant. Remove dead or damaged wood when you see it.

Burning bush - prune when dormant. Remove dead or damaged wood when you see it.

Privets - spring, prior to flush of spring growth. Remove dead or damaged wood when you see it.

Currants - renovate while dormant, prune after flowering in mid- to late spring if not renovating. Remove dead or damaged wood when you see it.

jim

Kirk
02-17-2003, 06:24 PM
Best time for pruning is actually in the summer time, because the wounds heal faster..... more logical is sring and fall, because you see the places better,where you need to prun. No matter what you prun. We don't care about the new flower buds, they come back the following year anyways.

Sabine

EcoSystems
02-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Your state agricultural extension office should provide very good material on every type of plant. We prune 4 times a year, but different plants each time depending on the needs of the plant. e.g. spring of fall bloomer is done after it blooms. This program takes a little time to set up, but once it is done your customers will be pleased with the results.

turfman59
02-17-2003, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys very good info and I'll be printing this off for my files

Bruce!