PDA

View Full Version : Low lying land help

slater
02-16-2003, 09:28 AM
Low lying land help
I have approx 4 acres of low lying land near a creek bed and need some ideas on how to landscape this........ it has mostly small trees and the larger trees have mostly rotten roots due to wet ground. You can walk through this area...........it does not really flood. I just worry about snakes during the summer and would like to clear the trees and do something with it. The soil is mostly brown clay - expansive type - high minerals. Any ideas??

fblandscape
02-16-2003, 11:01 AM
You are most likely dealing with wetlands. If you change wetlands in ANY way you are talking about BIG fines for both you AND the contractor doing the work. See if you can get wetlands permits first. Think about doing the rest of it later.

slater
02-16-2003, 01:31 PM
This is private property.........not a designated sanctuary. Any more ideas.

One Degree
02-16-2003, 05:55 PM
I would try landscaping with plants that adapt to wet soils. Some that I can think of are Bald Cypress, Japanese Sedge Grass, Reed Grasses, Carrex sp. grasses. The Bald Cypress will grow in water or in dry areas. I have seen in a lot in zone 7 growing in lakes and ponds. It is a decidious tree that can reach up to 60feet +. The Sedge, Reed, and Carrex I mentioned are all ornamental type grasses that will grow in wet conditions. By using a combination of these plants you can create a natural looking enviornment. I would also consider adding in native rocks and boulders to the area along with the plants.