PDA

View Full Version : Was I impressed

Scag48
08-24-2000, 04:35 PM
I got my Stihl BR320 today. That thing has got some power! I was peelin' weeds overgrowing asphalt back! When I got it there was gas in it and just to make sure I called the dealer and asked if it was premix cuz' of course I didn't mix it and he said yes. I've got a Homelite trimmer and when oil and gas is mixed it is red. The Stihl is more of a yellow. Is this normal? If not that dealer is going to get a peice of my mind. I guess this is normal too but I thought I'd ask. When I shut it off and set it down, there was like an odd, hot smell. I guess that's normal becuase of the heat of engine. But that got me thinkin', what if the dealer was wrong and it was straight gas and it was overheating?! I just worry too much! My dad was here when I was in' on it and for some reason after he left, it started. He said "If the damn thing doesn't start after 30 mins., call those guys and get them to start it." I think I might have flooded it. Choking without pulling hard enough will do it. So, I just unchoked it and pulled a few times and cleared he carberator and it took off! Yes, I am "Ready For A Stihl"!

BUSHMASTER
08-24-2000, 04:50 PM
Hey they are great blowers , but i would rather spend the $20 or $30 more and get the br400 you won't regret it.

Scag48
08-24-2000, 05:35 PM
Bushmaster-I got the 320 on sale for $330. They 400 was out of reach. It was tough enough to get the 320.

bucktail
08-24-2000, 06:04 PM
Scag my premix is chartruese if yours is not I would not run that crazy machine!

Bobby
08-24-2000, 06:24 PM
Scag48
Just about all new machines will have a funky smell for a couple of hours.The burning smell goes away quick enough.
But your right to check your fuel-oil mix.

Kevin
08-24-2000, 07:30 PM
chartreuse=yellow green

bob
08-24-2000, 07:54 PM
Now that you have one, you'll wish you'd had bought a backpack blower a long time ago.

mattingly
08-24-2000, 08:56 PM
i purchased a used br400 for 175. it runs like a champ. awesome power.

cos
08-24-2000, 10:04 PM
Way to go scag..... I remember my first back pack. I was blown away too.(lol) Now, will that baby fit in the back of mom's station wagon?

LiVe2
08-24-2000, 10:39 PM
Hey scag wait till you try a little wonder parking lot blower. You should have that smell it means its breaking in. as far as the gas an oil mix color mine is dark green allmost. hope it works ok for you

LiVe

WALKERMOW
08-24-2000, 11:20 PM
hey scag different two cycle oil will be different colors
stihl 2 cycle is mixed greenish and husqvarna oil is mixed redish
hope this eases your mind ..good luck with your blower

here is a few tips for cranking a stihl back pack...
1 never touch the throttle
2 when cold.. choke it
3 pull it till it fires ..(3or 4 pulls maybe more)
4 unchoke it and pull till it runs ( usually 1 pull)

if it has been run never choke it ,it will flood..if it floods rotate cruise control lever to the full throttle position and pull till it cranks( it could take up to 10 pulls to clear the carb.
hope this helps

Runner
08-25-2000, 12:25 AM
Great advice Russel! Isn't amazing how many people (not just new people) don't understand 2 strokers? Skag,just a bit of operating advice: Keep the stuff your blowing out in front of you a ways, working it side to side. You have to "shake" the stuff(not literally)- work the blower, don't expect the blower to do the work For you.