PDA

View Full Version : Contractor's license Help?

Farbio
02-17-2003, 01:20 PM
I believe in Washinton State it is much easier to obtain a contractor's license than most other states. I have heard that all you need to do is prove you have been in the business x Number of years and show you are licensed-insured-bonded.

I would like to know who to contact about getting a contractor's license. I have looked in the phone book for a number to call and found nothing.
Could use a little help.

Mykster
02-17-2003, 03:18 PM
How long you've been business doesn't matter. Just as long as you show proof of being Bonded, and Ins'd they will have your Lic. in a few minutes. The cost is $100 for your Lic.

To obtain your Lic. you need to go to your local Dept. Labor & Indutries. Here's the numbers for the Everett office.

Customer Service (425)290-1300

Contractors Regristration (425)290-1400

Just Turned Pro
02-17-2003, 05:38 PM
But then don’t forget …
To mow or service and collect sales tax you need a UBI # and a registered trade name…
To sell plant matter you need a nursery license…
To install the plant matter or move dirt you need a contractor license…
To get a contractor license you need a bond and insurance…
To apply any pesticide or herbicide you need a pesticide license…
Then if you have employees… Industrial insurance, unemployment insurance…

I’m probably leaving something out. Ahhh yes, you gotta love Washington

The easiest way to sort it all out is to go here https://wws2.wa.gov/dol/mls/wali/ . Just follow the screens and input the information for what you intend to do and where and it will print out a list of licenses you need and agencies to contact. They used to have an offline version you could download but I don't see it anymore.

Farbio
02-18-2003, 04:38 AM
Thank You Mykster and Just Turned Pro! Your information was just what I needed. I have been doing lawn maintenance for 5 years with license & insurance of course. I'm trying to move more into the landscaping end of the business. I'm going to my agent to get bonded tomorrow. It sounds like I just need to call labor and Industries and I'm set. Your right Just Turned Pro, you gotta love Washington.

Mykster
02-18-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Farbio
I have been doing lawn maintenance for 5 years with license & insurance of course.

What kind of license are you talking about here?

Farbio
02-19-2003, 04:45 AM
"What kind of license are you talking about here?"

I currently have a business license and liability insurance and am looking to get a contractors license. I just got bonded today and will call about the contractors license tommarrow.