PDA

View Full Version : dump beds

grass1
02-17-2003, 05:20 PM
Im buying a 3500 dump truck and I am not sure what the difference between PTO Hoist or an electric hoist any help would would be great

lars
02-17-2003, 05:36 PM
A PTO punp is driven off a seporate external shaft off the transmission, just like a PTO on a tractor is a seporate shaft. The shaft will turn a pump to move fluid to lift the cylinder. To use it depress your clutch, engange the PTO, usually a lever on the floor, and engage the body whenever you like, moving or not. The PTO system will lift alot of weight and is prettly solid. However it is usually not available on all trasmission options, so you will have to check with the manufacturer.

The electric system uses an electric motor to move fluid and lift the cylinder. I don't think it is quite as rugged as a PTO system, but it is adequate in most situations.

DIGEM
02-17-2003, 08:42 PM
what year truck are you geting? ive got a 450 super duty im tinking about selling. 91 7.3 diesel.pto dump bed,air cruise control

Gravel Rat
02-18-2003, 12:48 AM
A PTO/Hydraulic set up is the way togo if you are hauling mulitple loads per day like one every hour or even one after the other like doing a short haul. The PTO set up is faster and does have more power but it does cost more to buy and have installed I'am in the process of deciding what I'am going todo with my truck. I would like to put a PTO set up on my F-Superduty but I will be looking atleast 1600 dollars for a Muncie PTO and a pump a 12v Hydraulic power pack is 800 dollars.

The power pack is slower but if you are only doing a couple loads a day its fine you don't need the speed and your batteries have time to recover from the draw the pump sucked out of them.

On my truck I'am going to a telescoping post hoist I don't feel the scissor hoists are powerfull enough plus they add alot of weight to the truck. The post hoist lifts from the front of the box alot more leverage I used to dump 9000lbs of gravel with my previous F-Superduty with no problems.

little green guy
02-23-2003, 04:48 PM
PTO is defintly the way to go, it's much faster than electric.