PDA

View Full Version : Mowing in the rain

BruinLawn
05-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Do you guys mow in the rain? I don't have a problem with it. It just leaves clumps of grass in areas and blowing off the pavement is a pain in the butt.
Posted via Mobile Device

RSK Property Maintenance
05-09-2013, 07:54 PM
yea if its not a heavy rain. I use a scag cheetah with 34hp motor, i was cutting all day, and cutting a lot off grass, motor didn't even bog, it did clump some, but if i go over it again its pretty good, unless that knocks some clumps that are stuck under the deck then that discharges, but then i just blow the few clumps out with the br600 and the lawn looks mint. i cut a lawn today where i took almost 6-7 inches and it came out great....even in the rain. the scag velocity deck makes a difference. i tested an exmark, not a bad cut quality, better stripe, but not the same cut, especially if there is moisture present.

Joey waid
05-09-2013, 07:57 PM
I try not to do it unless I get caught in it. To many ruts and to many complaints if I do.

RSK Property Maintenance
05-09-2013, 08:08 PM
I try not to do it unless I get caught in it. To many ruts and to many complaints if I do.

ya all my lawns drain well, and generally don't have soft spots, one of them will get soft i'll make ruts if it rains a lot like in the spring, but that guy doesn't complain about it, it will stay wet days after the rain.

OakNut
05-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Client: "Oh, I didn't think you would come today since they are calling for rain."

(looks up at cloudy, yet rain-free sky)

WTF is wrong with people?

weeze
05-09-2013, 10:19 PM
i mowed a lake earlier this week. everything went pretty smooth.

i have a yard that stays wet all spring no matter what. i just have to do the best i can until the summer heat dries it out enough to mow it properly.

i swear sometimes when people are making the lot of a house they put little thought into thinking the yard will have to be mowed. :laugh:

orangemower
05-09-2013, 11:28 PM
i mowed a lake earlier this week. everything went pretty smooth.

i have a yard that stays wet all spring no matter what. i just have to do the best i can until the summer heat dries it out enough to mow it properly.

i swear sometimes when people are making the lot of a house they put little thought into thinking the yard will have to be mowed. :laugh:

Lucky it wasn't windy or it would have been choppy and you would have scalped all the wakes. :laugh:

herler
05-09-2013, 11:41 PM
I use the new Never-clump lawn mowers.

weeze
05-10-2013, 12:46 AM
Lucky it wasn't windy or it would have been choppy and you would have scalped all the wakes. :laugh:

there were a few times i felt like i was hydroplaning across the water.:dizzy:

BruinLawn
05-10-2013, 12:49 AM
Yeah I don't mind mowing in the rain its just for some reason clients like to flip out about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-10-2013, 01:13 AM
Yeah I don't mind mowing in the rain its just for some reason clients like to flip out about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

You have to judge each customer on this. Don't tick off your better paying customers cause 'dammit I am going to mow this in the pouring rain or else'.
Cleaning off sidewalks after shooting goo all over them is enough for me to avoid mowing in anything past a very light drizzle.

Commercial are another thing, go blow chunks:)

ReddensLawnCare
05-10-2013, 07:11 AM
I use the new Never-clump lawn mowers.

Oh boy. I want one!
Posted via Mobile Device

Tunica
05-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Oh boy. I want one!
Posted via Mobile Device

I had a couple of them really good no clumps few stringers here and there the only problem it took a long time to cut anything. I lost both of them to a BBQ goat does taste good if ya kill them before there a year old.

fatz
05-10-2013, 01:45 PM
If it's a light rain and no lightening I'll mow, but if it's lightening out or pouring cats and dogs, I bump the properties up a day or two.

Greg78
05-10-2013, 02:07 PM
I don't mess with lightning. Seems a couple guys are killed down here every year from mowing in thunderstorms. I'll just copy and paste my reply from the mowing in the rain thread from last week:

Part of the beast sometimes. Down here especially. I work in the rain and mow wet lawns all the time. I won't mow if it's too soft and I stay out of the ditches with the zero turn to avoid leaving mud tracks and getting stuck. For the most part all our properties drain pretty fast. I've never had to push off a lawn more than a couple of days.

We will work Saturdays to get caught up if need be. I always keep an eye on the extended forecast and will make necessary changes. This week I seen we had more than normal rain coming so we doubled up Monday and Tuesday which only left a couple to get done yesterday so we are done for the week and not behind right now.

weeze
05-10-2013, 04:32 PM
i don't mow in the rain unless it's just sprinkling a bit. if it rains hard i wait until the next day to mow and if it rains for 2 days i wait about a day and a half before i go mow to let things dry up for the most part.

this week it poured sunday and monday all day and night but i mowed tuesday anyways. it was probably the wettest conditions i've ever mowed in but it was necessary because the yards are still wet today 4 days later. what are you gonna do? you can't wait 2 weeks to mow it again on bi weekly cuts because the grass will be 2ft tall. :laugh:

i can't mow them next week because i have other yards to mow next week.

i got stuck 2 times in ditches but i was able to get out ok. this situation is out of the ordinary but that's life. you just deal with it and move on.

Greg78
05-10-2013, 04:36 PM
i don't mow in the rain unless it's just sprinkling a bit. if it rains hard i wait until the next day to mow and if it rains for 2 days i wait about a day and a half before i go mow to let things dry up for the most part.

this week it poured sunday and monday all day and night but i mowed tuesday anyways. it was probably the wettest conditions i've ever mowed in but it was necessary because the yards are still wet today 4 days later. what are you gonna do? you can't wait 2 weeks to mow it again on bi weekly cuts because the grass will be 2ft tall. :laugh:

i can't mow them next week because i have other yards to mow next week.

i got stuck 2 times in ditches but i was able to get out ok. this situation is out of the ordinary but that's life. you just deal with it and move on.

Down here the Bahia will get 2' tall in just 2 weeks in the summer!!!

weeze
05-10-2013, 04:49 PM
this goes back to people think their yard is the only yard you mow. they just don't get it. they expect you to make a living mowing 1 yard every 2 weeks? :laugh:

TailboardJoes
05-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Light sprinkle only for me.

Had a pretty heavy rain yesterday. Most of our yards have good drainage, but it seems that a lot of sprinklers still ran last night. Yard 6 of 20 this morning the tops were still really wet...had wet socks and shoes all day. Thought I was going to get jungle rot.

ashgrove landscaping
05-11-2013, 10:10 AM
All the time. If they don't get cut they grow grow grow way too high and you don't make money by not cutting them. As for you, tailboard, do t you know that common attire for mowing grass is water proof footwear.
Posted via Mobile Device

JB1
05-11-2013, 10:13 AM
i aint mowing in no rain periold, unless i'm bushogging and i'm in the cab.

K & K Mowing
05-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Nothing past a light sprinkle for me unless I'm down to just the trimmer for the day then I let it fly with that (no clumps). I feel it's not worth the extra safety risk on the mowers with rain soaked grass. My lots all have some slope to them, some severe.

Regards, Kevin:usflag::drinkup:

orangemower
05-12-2013, 09:22 AM
I was cutting water yesterday. It started raining light. Then it opened up so I flew to the truck and waited 30 minutes until it passed. There was a river running through the lawn. Oh well. It had to get cut. Left mud tracks everywhere and had grass all over the road. I got a call a few hrs later with a thank you for waiting out the rain to finish. LOL I thought he was going to light me up for the mess.

DoubleClutch
05-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Last Friday I was 1/2 finished mowing and the sky opened up with buckets of water. I put the mower on the trailer and waited it out. Talked with the home owner and told them I will be back Monday to finish it. I wont leave mud tracks cause I want to do the best job possible and make there lawn look perfect! I will eat the extra fuel and travel time to come back to keep my rep and quality work with my customers. Also nabors see mud and grass clumps all over they wont think twice in Not call me.

lawnprosteveo
05-13-2013, 07:12 PM
It depends on the yard. If I can mow it without rutting it or mud tracks, then Ill mow. Otherwise, I wont

zackvbra
05-14-2013, 01:20 PM
my mower clogs up too bad on grass thats past just damp from the morning dew. if it rains, forget about it, I dont want to have to spend an hour scraping anyway.

weeze
05-14-2013, 11:54 PM
everytime you run over a puddle it washes the deck out on a yard where it's rained alot.

STIHL GUY
05-15-2013, 01:37 PM
As long as its not pouring I will mow
Posted via Mobile Device

Cedar Lawn Care
10-24-2013, 08:26 PM
I often decide to suck it up and mow in the rain. Without fail the rain stops and the sun comes out within minutes of me finishing and getting home.

TuffTurfLawnCare
10-25-2013, 07:11 AM
I was mowing with snow flakes pelting me in the face yesterday. Does that count?

ultracut guy
10-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Do you guys mow in the rain? I don't have a problem with it. It just leaves clumps of grass in areas and blowing off the pavement is a pain in the butt.
Posted via Mobile Device

u mowin la rain?:nono wow,i usualy try 2 avoid it if at all possoble!! first.it looks unprofessional an my customrs wuld complain!!!!

ultracut guy
10-25-2013, 01:47 PM
yea if its not a heavy rain. I use a scag cheetah with 34hp motor, i was cutting all day, and cutting a lot off grass, motor didn't even bog, it did clump some, but if i go over it again its pretty good, unless that knocks some clumps that are stuck under the deck then that discharges, but then i just blow the few clumps out with the br600 and the lawn looks mint. i cut a lawn today where i took almost 6-7 inches and it came out great....even in the rain. the scag velocity deck makes a difference. i tested an exmark, not a bad cut quality, better stripe, but not the same cut, especially if there is moisture present.

my exmark will clump in rain,but il take any day in dry conditions because of its supreme quality of cut an stripe!!!!!!:)

TPendagast
10-26-2013, 04:18 AM
little known fact, when the lawn mower was first invented, it was preferred to cut the grass when it was wet (usually from earl morning dew), similar to how hair stylists get your hair wet with a spray bottle and then cut it... as it cuts cleaner and straighter... but that was before rotary mowers.... those were old style reel mowers, most of which had 2 to 4 hp and lath style blades.

GMLC
10-26-2013, 08:26 AM
Mowing in the rain is a necessary evil when you have a full schedule. In the north east morning dew doesn't burn off until 11am or so. The key is to have a mower with a deck that cuts well in wet conditions, learning a modified 3 point turn to avoid turf damage and most importantly knowing when the ground gets to soft and calling it quits.
Posted via Mobile Device

PenningsLandscaping
10-26-2013, 10:16 AM
I hate mowing in the rain. If it's raining I'll find something else to do, customers just get pissed.

clydebusa
10-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Only when I have to and mostly my own lawn! HA:cry:

greendoctor
10-26-2013, 04:47 PM
little known fact, when the lawn mower was first invented, it was preferred to cut the grass when it was wet (usually from earl morning dew), similar to how hair stylists get your hair wet with a spray bottle and then cut it... as it cuts cleaner and straighter... but that was before rotary mowers.... those were old style reel mowers, most of which had 2 to 4 hp and lath style blades.

True. Reel mowers do not do well being run in 100 degree heat on dried out grass. The cut is much better on green grass with a little moisture on them. If the blades are set correctly, they will also seize if run on dry grass in high heat conditions.