PDA

View Full Version : Buying from the grower

turfman59
02-18-2003, 11:39 PM
I am wondering if anyone has had any luck buying from a grower rather than a wholesaler. Does anyone know if I can fill the following order in Michigan from a grower?

Acerubrum 4"
Ginko Biloba 4"
Aristocrat Pear 4"

My wholesaler has always come through for me but has been stumbling on the Ginko's and Pears

Total of 19 trees and I will pick up

Or do these trees typically have to come from Washington State.

paul
02-19-2003, 12:04 AM
I don't know all about your area but we have no problem buying trees from Growers, in fact I rather buy from a local grower that some one that imports them from out of state. For most of our work we have to give the growers location. Most LA's here want the plants grown locally.

baddboygeorge
02-19-2003, 11:26 PM
be advised bigger growers have season minimums an if ya dont meet there minimum you cant even get your feet in the door . smaller growers usually dont have that minimum so that would be your best chose. i have used a grower from the time he was starting out like 12 years ago an now he is very big grower an i can buy 0ne tree at a time if i want . once ya get your feet in the door your good .let me know if ya need prices on trees ok

Stonehenge
02-20-2003, 02:11 AM
Turfman, I used to be in the Detroit are of MI, and got a lot of plant material from Weigand's, though they may 'farm out' the larger trees.

There's a nursery near me, called Mid Park Nurseries, in Fond Du Lac, WI, that trucks them everywhere - they may be able to lump your order with another in MI to get it there.

If you want their #, let me know.