PDA

View Full Version : Mowing Restrictions

Sammy
08-25-2000, 09:53 AM
Anyone hear about the eight county area around Houston, Tx. will have no mowing from 6 am - 12 noon ? This would be only during Daylight Saveing Time perioed.

TURF Editor
08-25-2000, 12:40 PM
I have a packet of material on my desk on this, Here's the highlights:

The Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission (TNRCC) has proposed restrictions on the operating hours on all portable power equipment below 25 hp. It would prohibit the operation of these devices between the hours of 6am and 12 noon from April through October in certain counties in the Houston area.

The two really stupid parts of this ill-conceived restriction are:
1) the TNRCC's report (which goes on for 21 pages) specifically states the purpose of the proposed rule is an "air pollution control strategy" to delay the emissions of NOx (a greenhouse gas). As far as I have been able to find out, small, 2 cycle engines do not produce significant quantities of NOx
2) The TNRCC's report states that the purpose of the proposed regulation is to "Delay the emissions of NOx from these engines until later in the day, thus limiting ozone production." Ummm....has anyone from the TNRCC actually walked outside during a summer day in Houston? Ummm...what part of the day is the hottest? So, if the law goes into effect, at noon every day, at the height of summer, EVERY lawncare company in the Houston area will be turning on one or more small 2-cycle engines.

The report goes on to say that while there would be an economic impact to small businesses in the area, that impact cannot be measured. They suggest that lawncare companies could shift their work hours to later in the day.

So how do you guys in Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery and Waller counties feel about working until 9 or 10pm every night, doing your trimming by flashlight...probably having to backtrack to finish cut & trim jobs you started in the morning (cut in the morning with an over 25 hp mower, return to the same customer in the evening to trim with the handheld trimmer)?

Hearings on this proposal will likely be held in mid-September. The TNRCC has a web site:
http://www.tnrcc.state.tx.us

If anyone has any other questions, I'll try my best to anwer them.

David G. Cassidy
Editor
TURF Magazine

OBRYANMAINT
08-25-2000, 01:24 PM
sound like there may be some very powerfull trimmers on the market soon

Richard Martin
08-25-2000, 03:32 PM
Unbelievable! Are they proposing the same thing for much larger polluters such as power companies and automobiles? Probably not but they're going to get all 400 of those engines under 25 HP out of commission for the day. Anybody wanna buy an electric trimmer?

Sammy
08-25-2000, 04:16 PM
Here is some more....Vehicle Idling Restrictions: limit idling for all vehicles over 14,000 pounds [except wet cement trucks] to five consecutive minutes. Construction Equipment Operating Restriction: establish a restriction on the use of heavy duty diesel construction equipment from 6:00 a.m. - noon. Accelerated Purchase of Tier 2/Tier 3 Diesel Equipment:Requires the early retirement of older equipment and purchase of newer, cleaner, off-highway diesel equipment.

thelawnguy
08-25-2000, 04:24 PM
"Vehicle Idling Restrictions: limit idling for all vehicles over 14,000 pounds [except wet cement trucks] to five consecutive minutes. "

Already in effect in the Northeast. Hopped in a new 2000 Autocar last week to move it for its owner, engine automatically shuts down after 2 minutes unless you tap the throttle. Friend drives tankers, his 96 Freightliner shuts down after 10 min.

Charles
08-25-2000, 07:10 PM
Governments have a tendency to go after the little guys. The ones least likely to be able to organize protest or oganised political pull. People like us. George(gooberhead) bush let the big industries in texas write their own air polution rules. Its true, Its true. So instead of picking on the big companies they go after the small frys. Just to look like the are doing something. Looks like they may have more heat related illinesses with lawn care companies starting to work in the afternoon. I don't think any other type of companies in the U.S. have ever been told what time of day they can start work. This is such a moronic thing to do.
As for the trucking industry not being able to idle their truck. Alot of truckers are going to be frozen to death in truck stops and in rest areas. Damn idiots running our country.

bob
08-25-2000, 09:01 PM
They want us to go back to push reel mowers, hand clippers , and brooms.

diggerman
08-25-2000, 09:43 PM
Sounds like its time for a 30hp zero turn with a hydralic weed wacker attachment

geogunn
08-25-2000, 11:21 PM
now lets see...that was Houston, Kalifornia you were talking about weren't you!

hahaha...don't get mad.

we TENNESSEANS taught you TEXANS along time ago not to put up with BS! what went wrong?

REMEMBER THE ALAMO!!!

GEOGUNN

aka: the big GEEEE!!!! of TENNESSEE.

go VOLS!!!(repeat national champions at least once more in my lifetime! PLEEEZEEE!!!)

lawnMaster5000
08-26-2000, 04:03 PM
good luck carrying around that 25hp trimmer and blower all day.

Richard Martin
08-26-2000, 07:25 PM
Didn't someone post a link to a trimmer that attaches to the mower one time? Everybody laughed then but now it seems it may almost be practical.