PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wants to rid bermuda of weeds/grass

atlantamoi
02-19-2003, 12:39 PM
I'm a newbie... new home, new sod (well, sodded in late November). I've got bermuda grass here in Atlanta. It's dormant right now, but I've got a ton of green grass sprouts all over. I started pulling them out by hand, but half of them came back (didn't get to the root I guess).

I went to Home Depot to buy a grass killer that wouldn't destroy the bermuda, but the guy there was as clueless as I am. Previously, I tried a weed killer that did nothing (because it's grass growing, not weeds... duh.) I'm unsure what product I should use to spray. I'm unsure if I should even do this. I've had the lawn for 3 months and have not done a thing to it... I will in the spring of course, but for now.... nothing. Parts of the lawn still looked like sodded squares.

Should I just leave the unwanted grass there for now and deal with it next fall... after I've mowed and watered all summer? Or would it be okay to try and kill this stuff off now before the bermuda turns green again?

Thanks... I know this might be a super newbie question, but I've got a lot to learn!

Slant7
02-21-2003, 08:51 PM
atlantamoi

I bought this book a couple of weeks ago on Amazon. com and it has helped me tremendously in how to care for my lawn. Also many people here are extremely helpful. But what I have learned from this book is that the thicker you let the lawn get the less weeds will grow. There are several fertilizers out there such as weed and feed and Scotts has a program that helps you through out the year. Another thing I learned the hard way was that I was fertilizing to often. A couple of years ago I was told that the soil was not good here, Arizona, so I might have to fertilize more often. So I did, but all that does is let the leaf (Grass) grow but the roots stay shallow not allowing the grass to ward off weeds and diseases. Basically what I am saying is Scotts has a program that tells you what, when and how to fertilize and what, and when to use it. Its easy.

?"Scotts Lawns: Your Guide to a Beautiful Yard"
Nick Ph.D. Christians (Author), Ashton Ritchie (Author); Paperback; @ $9.99 each

Good Luck
Slant7

atlantamoi
02-22-2003, 10:17 AM
Thanks Slant7,

I bought that book you mentioned on Amazon for a great price (private seller). I need a book like that. I've heard people complain about the price of Scotts products before, but it's got to be a lot cheaper than paying someone else to do it. I'll try their program and see what happens.

Thanks again

greenman
02-22-2003, 10:52 AM
What does the grass look like? Does it have white seeds heads? Is it a clumping grass with narrow blades? Need more information to diagnose your problem.

SWD
02-22-2003, 11:35 AM
Diagnosis/identification of the unwanted growth will tell you how to proceed. Since you are unfamiliar with this, call your county Co-op extension agent and he should come out and tell you what the weeds are. Or, go by his office, pick up free copies of plant ID guides and do it yourself.

atlantamoi
02-23-2003, 10:15 AM
It's a clumping grass with narrow blades shooting straight up and then bending over. Imagine the top of a Cabbage Patch doll head! I've got thousands of Cabbage Patch dolls buried under my yard. The unwanted grass is green as can be... very strong and healthy looking.

I'll try that co-op ext. SWD. I've read about that, but wondered if I'd just be a pain in the butt to those people... as if a million homeowners show up there.

thanks

SWD
02-23-2003, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't worry one moment about being a pain. It is your tax dollars at work - use them.
The next best thing is to find a Lesco service center in your area.
If these guy's can not ID the plant, they probably know of someone who can.
Also, discuss your material needs with the Lesco people.

Clay
02-23-2003, 11:50 AM
Hey there atlantamoi...

Ok.... what you have here is really not much of a problem... All you have is some winter grass (probably rye) germinating in the seems of your newly planted bermuda sod...

If you want to eliminate the unwanted rye, you can easily due so while the bermuda is dormant by spraying the green rye with roundup... as long as the bermuda is not green and fully dormant, roundup will not harm your bermuda, but will fully kill that green rye :-)

Or... (if you are starting to see some green up in the bermuda) simply let the summer heat and the agressive nature of the bermuda take care of most of it this summer... The rye should only survive in the cooler or shady areas of the turf.... then you can use the roundup process next winter... Or you may even choose to overseed next fall to have a green lawn all winter with a very different look and feel than bermuda... (just be sure to use a quality perennial rye if you choose to overseed)

I spent 15 years working with bermuda in the Vegas heat... It can make a beautiful and very strong lawn and when it has a summer season to fill in all those seams you will not have near the problem with any weed seed germination you are experiencing now...

Feel free to email me if you have any quesions... clayvaughn@hotmail.com

Good Luck, Clay

KCLandscape
02-23-2003, 08:37 PM
Clay - Agree completely...Nice answer

atlantamoi
02-24-2003, 04:53 PM
Thanks Clay... that was a very good response. If my neighbors can live with looking at it, I think I might just leave it there and wait until next winter to try and kill it off if it comes back (when it comes back!). I'd rather be safe than sorry with fairly new sod, but it probably wouldn't hurt to spray it. Anyway, thanks a lot!

Holloway Lawns
03-04-2003, 10:48 AM
While the grass is dormant and on a warm sunny day say 65, 70 or above spray round up on all the green grass and or weeds in your lawn. This should take care of them. Also starta post and pre emergant program to keep weeds from even germinating. Hope this helps good luck.

turnipgreen
03-10-2003, 02:48 PM
I second the vote to find a local Lesco place. I'm lucky enough that our local Home Depot sells Lesco fertilizer/pre-emergent/weed&feed, but if I had a problem I would take it in to them. I've been using their stuff on my zoysia for a year or so, I think I had 1 onion all winter, no real weeks except on the borders with my neighbors. And if you look on the back of the lawn service trucks, that is what they are using.