PDA

View Full Version : bed/tree edging???

bad_chad48
02-19-2003, 10:00 PM
O.K. I have done the search and have been reading for almost an hour but I can't find the info. that I am looking for. I feel stupid for asking this but I am going to anyways... How do you edge around something? I have tried to learn this on my own but I have not a clue how to do it. I don't want to ask my competition how they get that nice clean, and crisp edges around their trees and flowerbeds. I do not have an edger and do not have access to one. If you could or would, please give me the type of shovel to use and step by step procedures on how to do this.
thanks
Chad

baddboygeorge
02-19-2003, 10:10 PM
well ya want to know how to get that bed edged without a machine very simple . get a flat spade shovel preferably a short handle spade .put the spade in the ground at about a 45 degree angle about 3-4 inches in . once in the ground push down on the handle an the dirt will pop up .clean the edge out an on an on till ya have it all done .its pretty simple , a little tricky at first but once ya do it for a while its a breeze . by the way i always cut the design an sod out really quick with a pick first . then go back an follow the picked line , works well for me .the more ya do it the fancier ya get an you will learn how to clean the edge an smooth the edge out where it looks awesome.good luck an get busy !!

Lombardi
02-20-2003, 12:08 PM
I would invest in a good edger. It saves a lot of time and energy. Sears has them for about $250.00. It will pay for itself in only a few jobs.

baddboygeorge
02-20-2003, 04:49 PM
he aint talking about edging sidewalks an driveways he is talking about a edge around beds. that edger from sears wont even think about doing bed edging .an edger to edge beds is gonna run around the 2 grand mark an up . if your just starting out GET A SPADE !!

bad_chad48
02-21-2003, 12:04 PM
B.B.G.
thanks for the info... but what do you do with the dirt that you push up with the spade? I mean if you are getting ready to put mulch around a tree for the first time? Is this the process that you do (1) REMOVE THE SOD AROUND TREE AND AREA. (2) TAKE LANDSCAPE AXE AND CUT A CIRCLE AROUND TREE. (3) USING SPADE DO WHAT YOU SAID IN YOUR FIRST POST. (4) PUT DOWN LANDSCAPE FABRIC THEN MULCH. Is this what you do?

Lombardi
02-21-2003, 05:08 PM
Chad,
I should probably explain in more detail about the edger. George is correct about the edger being used for edging sidewalks and driveways. But, you can also have an edger do what you are asking about by first running the edger blade straight up/down following the path of where the edging will go. After that you rotate the blade to the 45 degree angle and follow the same path. The edger cuts a V shaped piece of sod out. You then go through with a spade and pop out the sod. This is very simple and quick to do. If you can't afford an edger now, I would rent one if you had a big job to do.

baddboygeorge
02-21-2003, 11:41 PM
hey buddy dont buy any edger except a bed edger about 2000 an up for now use the shovel an get busy once ya pop that dirt out , bust the clods up by hand real quick an get the grass out.once that is done smooth the edge an lay the weed matt . remember keep the weed matt loose around the trunk of the tree.once ya edge awhile you will get the hang of it some little jobs it quicker by hand than with a machine .also the turning radius of the machine has its disadvantages an sometimes ya cant cut your really tight bends you want ,thats when a good shovel works great!!have fun an if i can help let me know

fblandscape
02-22-2003, 04:53 PM
1) mark your bed lines with spray paint or hose
2. (optional) spray area to be removed with round-up to kill off any weeds.
3) take pointed shovel and insert into the ground about 4 inches at a 90* angle.
4) pull back on shovel handle and loosen sod / soil.
5) throw soil / sod into the garden
6) shake soil out of sod
7) remove sod from garden
8) with pointed shovel at 180* to ground, round off inside part of garden
9) clean up edge with pointed shovel
10) take weed whip and clean up edge
11) rake garden clean.

bob
02-23-2003, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bad_chad48
[B]O.K. I have I do not have an edger and do not have access to one. [B][QUOTE]

Did you call any rental stores? Or sub it out to a landscaper that has the right machine.