PDA

View Full Version : bid help

LocalTouch
02-20-2003, 09:15 PM
A customer has landscape beds around 2 sides of the residence. Total combined sizes are about 4 ft wide by 70 ft long. He wants the beds lowered approx 4 inches, with all of the current plants re-installed. Plants consist of small bushes (less than 3 ft tall), and misc foliage. Total number of plants/bushes...22. The dirt removed to lower the beds can be wheeled to the rear of property (not far). What kind of pricing could you come up with? Any input would be great!

Tom Musselman
02-20-2003, 10:49 PM
Lowered? Are you sure he didn't mean raised 4"?

What is the point of lowering a bed. Water will collect and plants, most anyway, will suffer. Also, putting same plants back? Really don't get it?

I would really reconsider working for this guy unless there is more to this job than stated.

Can you explain a little more.

LocalTouch
02-20-2003, 11:17 PM
the beds are about 6 or 7 inches higher than current level of the base of the beds. they do look a little higher than most. If I was this guy, I wouldnt see spending money to lower them, but he is a paying customer and this is what he wants.

Mike Bradbury
02-20-2003, 11:57 PM
Be a beach by hand but doable. I'd use a tractor with front end loader (or bobcat) to scrape the 4" off quickly and to haul the excess away. Still a lot of hand work digging and replanting. Full day plus the mech time. I'd say $400.

SCL
02-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Let me get this straight You're going to remove 22 plants, remove 3.5 yds of topsoil, and replant? If this is right then $400 is way to little. 8 hours at $50/PER?
Sounds like about half of what it should be. To me, 2 guys, 8 hours, skid steer 2 hours, miscellaneous fert and materials. Approx $750. Good Luck

Mike Bradbury
02-21-2003, 10:57 AM
I gotta move to where some of you guys really get those kinds of prices!

Tom Musselman
02-21-2003, 11:28 AM
For small projects (less than a day) like this we only work on time and material basis. We will discuss the job and give them a price based on how long we anticipate it to take. We are clear that it may be more (can determine a price cap at this time) or less depending on....

Most of our (it sounds like he is a regular customer) jobs like this are for regular landscape mgmt. customers. Only a few have a problem with this approach. If they want a firm price, then add at least 10% to the total to cover contingencies.

I agree that 2 men one day will get the job done with a skid or loader. Without seeing the job I agree at least $800.

little green guy
02-22-2003, 08:23 PM
your probly gonna have to remulch it to won't you? don't forget to add that in. I'd figure about 800-900 bucks

ipm
02-23-2003, 09:44 AM
A word of advise. You will spend more time repairing if you use a skid steer. Unless you are really, really good;) How long have the plants been in the ground?? 280 sq ft can be done by hand. If my calculations are correct that is 1 plant for every 12". They cannot possibly be very large plants? Are there any large trees in or around this bed???? If so you are asking for a headache. At 4" of soil removal that is 3.4 yards of material. price range 4-500's + material cost (mulch)

gogetter
02-24-2003, 04:28 AM
I wouldn't want to dig that by hand. And since I've never used a full size skid steer, I'd be reluctant to do so, purely based on what others have said about turf damage.

But what about renting a smaller/lighter mini skid with tracks?