PDA

View Full Version : MI, IN, OH: ready for EAB?

GroundKprs
02-20-2003, 11:37 PM
Emerald ash borer, an Asian import, was just identified in Detroit area last summer. Estimates of damage runs to 2 mil dead trees, and another 2 mil infected, many of them beyond saving. All working in lower MI, northern IN and northern OH should learn this pest and report to your state entomology dept immediately if EAB is suspected. This is a much more critical problem in our area than even Gypsy moth.

Investigations going on thru the winter seem to indicate that heavy infestations exist 50-60 miles outside the quarantine zone. Much more work will be done this summer to determine boundaries of invasion. We have been advised here, 200 miles away, to consider preventative treatment of all ashes under our care.

Learn about it at <a href="http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/eab/">Emerald Ash Borer Home Page</a>.

Stonehenge
02-21-2003, 01:12 AM
I heard about it late spring last year (actually the cold spring is part of why the prob went undiagnosed for awhile), told all the nursery folk I know about it.

Those darn Russians! j/k

GroundKprs
02-21-2003, 10:12 AM
We were also notified last year. The problem is now that they have investigated so far out from the supposed concentration and still found heavy populations. Rate of advance is unknown, because flight distance has not been tracked yet, even in China. USDA and state entomologists need many more eyes out in the field. Like our eyes.

Good news from seminar yesterday: the Asian long-horned beetle is being controlled well in the Chicago area. From over 900 infected trees found in 1999, only 4 were found last year. In NY, control strategies were implemented a year later, so populations there are still midway in the downward spiral, but are being dramatically reduced.

Stonehenge
02-21-2003, 10:38 AM
I didn't see where the resource mentioned the 'Russian Connection', so I'll explain.

Detroit auto makers received shipments of steel, raw materials, from Russian ships. The materials were packed in large amounts of wood chips.

Wood chips from Ash, Ash had Borers in them, yadda yadda.