PDA

View Full Version : extended hedge trimmers

lawndog
08-26-2000, 12:00 AM
I've just got a new account and its got these 10 ft hedges
on a steep bank.I need to get one of those hedge trimmers
that look like there mounted on to a weedeater.Does anyone
have one of these and how do you like it,pros and cons?
thanks from lawndog,mow on.

J MAN
08-26-2000, 12:13 AM
I just bought an attachment for my echo PAS (Pro Attachment Series)today, but I have not tried it out yet (I will tomorrow). It cost me about $190 with tax (the attachment only). I will let you know how it goes.

excel25
08-26-2000, 12:26 AM
Got the echo about 2 mths. ago. outher than the weight I love it.

WALKERMOW
08-26-2000, 12:37 AM
hey lawndog i have the stihl extended hedge trimmers and i think it will be the best tool in the shed!!
i have 2 other regular stihl hedge trimmers and i hardly use them any more because the long trimmers are actually easier to handle than the short ones..can go from short bushes to tall without missing a beat you'll love em save a ton of ladder work
hope this helps

BUSHMASTER
08-26-2000, 01:21 AM
Hi , i have owned my hl75 sthil for about 2 years fixed angle head model. i brought it just before they cam out the
adjustable head.....boy i wish i had waited....but the tool
whith the angle head works great ..howbout those lake edges
this tool is awsome....i even prune 3/4 inch tree limbes and some 1.5 limbs if you use it like a power knife. thick
under brush gets cut and u donot bend or get stuck by stickers cause you just slice it likebread very veritile tool everyone of us should have one but i would recemend the sthil model with the adjustable head.... A fellow competitor at the moment has yet to be able to afford one and i have made $300. this season alone subing for him just cause i can do those tall bushes qucker.....Enjoy

[Edited by BUSHMASTER on 08-26-2000 at 05:24 AM]

bob
08-26-2000, 09:42 AM
I've got a Stihl FS-85 trimmer. I have a power scythe head, trimmer head(never used), and I just got the hedge clipper head for it. I used the hedge clipper attachment yesterday for the first time. It cuts beautiful. The hedge was about 9' high and I didn't need a ladder. It does get heavy after a while. The head also is adjustable from 0 to 90 degrees. The power scythe head was $200 and the trimmer head was $151.

toddman35
08-26-2000, 09:50 AM
where did you get a fs 85 for that much! my dealer wants $300 for a new one!

bob
08-26-2000, 09:53 AM
The FS-85 was $285,+ $200 for power scythe,+ $151 for hedge trimmer.

toddman35
08-26-2000, 10:00 AM
sorry read it wrong

Runner
08-26-2000, 11:06 AM
You can't go wrong with the extended trimmer.Whether you go with a fixed head or adjustable, it's just unbeatable.Like Walker said,I too use this about 99% of the time.It's much better balanced an easier to use.(I have the Stihl w/fixedhead) Even for lower and smaller shrubs, it's ALOT less bendind down. It's nice to be back 3 or 4 feet or so, you have a better perspective and view on what you are doing. It takes a little getting used to,(touchy) but surely a labor saver.

Sammy
08-26-2000, 02:46 PM
Bob, Are you talking about the FS-85, FS-85R, or the FS-85RT ?

bob
08-26-2000, 03:53 PM
Sammy, Mine is a FS-85. There are 2 torx screws ot the end of the shaft that hold the attachments on.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
08-26-2000, 04:11 PM
I have the Echo Pro series hedge trimmers also
Its like a rider to a walkbehind!!! I get most of the shrubs trimmed from the ground. I don't need a ladder nearly as much as I did before. It ran me about $200. Its a little akward at first but once you get the hang of it every things ball game. I don't have to bend down as much also. I told the dealer we use I'm ready to do the commerical for them. Travis AG&G lawn Maintenance

Cutter1
08-26-2000, 04:57 PM
I bought the Shindaiwa extende hedge trimmers. Besides the weight and the price, I like them a lot. Easier on your back and less ladders. I used the stihl ones, the bottom of them are a lot heavier than the Shindaiwa, if it matters to anyone. I like the fact that you can change the angle on the end very easily on the shindaiwa's.

Getmow
08-26-2000, 05:20 PM
I have owned Echo HSC??2400 articulating hedge clippers for about 2 years. It is one of the best investments yoou can make.

Keith
08-26-2000, 06:58 PM
I have a a Maruyama HT 260D (part number has changed). It is a hybrid, it was one of the first out. It mixes the trimmer and hedge trimer. But, it's not as long as most and if that is what you need this is the wrong machine.

http://www.landscapers.com/shop/maruyhedged.jpg

gusbuster
08-26-2000, 10:04 PM
My Echo articulated hedge trimmer is one of the best equipment purchases I ever did. I'm a solo operator most of the time, so If I'm able to stay on the ground, so much safer, most importantly, so much faster. Even on smaller hedges, I use it because my helper is using my small Red Max. My equipment supplier sells these versions: Stihl, Shindaiwa, and Echo. He sells Echo the most, then Shindaiwa, then stihl. For us on the west coast, Echo and Shindaiwa’s are easier to get parts for.

If you are going to get one of the "Multi-use" machines, stay away from the split-shafts. What comes to my mind first to use as an example is the Ryobi machines.

As for hills and this machine, if you still have to use ladders, always work with a person holding the ladders. These machines are heavier, so if you use to leaning over, you are top heavy. At least if you do fall, the blades aren't so close to you.

John

J MAN
08-27-2000, 02:33 PM
My Echo Pro Attachment Series hedge trimmer works great, but I wish I had the articulating head feature. This trimmer alows me to cut those 1ft bushes to the 10 footers. It's an excelent investment.

Toddppm
08-27-2000, 05:49 PM
I got the 0-90 Hedge trimmers for my fs85 too, they are sweet. But when i go to take them off seems like the torx screws are almost welded on by the heat, broke about 3 wrenches trying to get them loose last time. Anyone else have this problem?