PDA

View Full Version : How do I find who owns a web site address

Casey
02-22-2003, 07:57 PM
I am in the process of setting up a LLC and would like to set up a web site with the same name. I checked on the internet and the address is already in use, however all that is there is a single page with three different examples of a logo. If they are not going to use the address I would sure like to get ahold of it for my business. Any idea how to go about finding out who registered the web site.

plsoucy
02-22-2003, 09:14 PM
Hi,

You will need to look at the WHOIS output for the domain.

You can get that using programs that are designed for that purpose (like the 'whois' executable on linux) or by consulting it from some domain registrar websites.

As example, you can get the WHOIS output for a domain at http://registrar.thinkhost.com/whois.php by clicking on the "view whois information" link after checking for the availability of a domain.

Regards,

Pierre-Luc

progreen
02-22-2003, 10:32 PM
If you really want the name, you can incorporate the business name and legally ask for the domain. I've seen people get names this way... might be more work than your willing to go through.

After you get the whois info, you can email or even call the owner and offer a price.

Good luck!

BP - progreen

plsoucy
02-22-2003, 10:49 PM
Incorporating a business might not be the best way to get the name - you can always get .net, .biz or .info, as example, if the .com domain is not available.

Even if you incorporate a business, it will not necessarily help, as the other person may also have a business incorporated with her name in her state/country. That is not to mention that lawsuits may end up costing you a lot of money, so unless you're a very big corp who cares *very much* about its domain, I do not think that this is worthwhile.

Pierre-Luc

progreen
02-22-2003, 10:59 PM
plsoucy, i agree with ya .

incorporating the business just to get the name would be a major headache.. however, it is a solution.. assuming the current owner of the name is not inc'd. reason i said it is some people are willing to jump through the hoops just for a name.

if the name really matters, i would offer a $100 to the current owner. you'd be surprised !

another option is to see when the domain expires and use a domain registrar that will put you in line to purchase the domain the day it expires. a lot of times, people will not renew a domain that they never used.

BP - progreen

Casey
02-24-2003, 09:18 PM
thanks for all the info....it appears that we can get the name with the .biz and I don't have a problem with that