PDA

View Full Version : Changing pull start to electric

chariot
02-23-2003, 02:04 PM
I recently purchased one of your 54" walkbehinds with 17HP pull start, I got the pull start because of a good deal on it from being a demo. If I load this mower on my trailer in the same location as my previous walkbehind I will have minimal access to the sides. I was wondering what approximate cost I would be looking at to change this mower over to electric start. Would I be so lucky that they have a kit to do just this? I know this may be extreme but I want to consider all my options. Thanks

J&R
02-23-2003, 05:43 PM
You will need Flywheel. starter, charging system, wire hareness, switchs, and a few more miss parts, cost new from .400.00 to 800.00 Best way to go. Find complete blowen engine. take off used parts. You can check dealers in you area for old engines.

Doc Pete
02-24-2003, 06:25 AM
The Kaw on that Hustler starts so easy, I'd give a try pulling it a few times. You might find you don't need the electric start. As long as you use full choke that motor almost starts itself;)
Pete

chariot
02-24-2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys. I have not actually tried it with the trailer loaded yet but I can tell it will be close. I may just have to load it on different than before.
Speaking of having the choke on all the way, is there any way to put a seperate choke cable on this mower? I have never liked mowers that have the throttle and choke as one, I don't feel it is good to run a cold engine at such high rpm's. When I have started mine playing with it here at the house it smokes upon cold start up with the choke on, I am hoping it is just new (6 hours) and the rings have not seated in yet. Thanks

jman00
03-24-2003, 11:03 AM
if it is like a mower i use to have which had a kawi which was very easy to start. Take off the cap or whatever it is called and rotate it to whatever position works for you. mine had 4 bolts holding it down so it had 4 different directions it could face. maybe this will work for you.