PDA

View Full Version : retaining walls

grassyfras
02-24-2003, 01:08 AM
Im thinking about installing small retaining walls this summer. I was wondering if any of you guys with experice doing walls think its something anyone can get into or do you need some sort of experience? Im talking about small retaining walls like 3 or 4 bricks high and maybe 16 feet long. Nothing fancy either. Also how is the return on these walls?

AGLA
02-24-2003, 06:40 AM
I think that you have the right approach by starting small and simple. I would still say that you need to have at least a one day seminar on it to understand where the pit falls are. Most manufacturers put on these seminars at building supply stores or garden centers all over. I would contact your local supplyer to find out. If they don't have a seminar at there place, find out which products they sell and ask the manufacturer where they are having any or try to get the supplyer to arrange for it.

You don't want to build twelve of these and find that they are moving around after a few months.

dougaustreim
02-24-2003, 09:37 AM
The best advice you can get for retaining wall work, is create a good base with compaction compaction compaction

Doug

Austreim Landscaping

Lombardi
02-24-2003, 10:23 PM
The advice about attending a seminar and good compaction is very good. First, learn the basics in the seminar. Then experiment with the compaction on the job site of a small wall. Keep in mind that there is a big difference between building Pavestone walls and natural rock walls. With Pavestone walls each brick has to be exactly level. Natural rock walls, on the other hand, do not require each stone to be perfectly level. This is what gives it a more natural look. The return on walls has been very good for me. They are very labor intensive and you should charge for it.