PDA

View Full Version : What about Sterling Dump trucks?

Swampbeast
02-25-2003, 05:01 PM
I am looking at getting a medium duty Sterling Dump truck, one of hte L-line series. Brand new, the ten wheel version, with a think its a 15 or 17 foot dump bed.
How is Sterling quality? Reliability? Rugedness? (this is gonna be used off road quite a bit)

Thanks

:cool:

paponte
02-25-2003, 09:10 PM
Sterling's are a great truck. Rugged, sharp looking, they are great trucks. Have you priced them yet? They are a little hard on the wallet.

greenman
02-25-2003, 10:21 PM
Freightliner bought out the Ford division of heavy duty trucks a few years back. They changed the name to Sterling.

Gravel Rat
02-26-2003, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't expect much from a Sterling the company I used to work for has a couple tandem axle Sterling flatbeds the drivers are not too impressed with them. They were telling me the cabs are poorly designed they are typical Freightliner quality pretty tinny. I'am not surprised if I was going to buy a tandem it would be a T-800 Kenworth Cat power 18spd 20 front 46 rears spring suspension and double framed with a 16'6" Nahanni box with highlift gate.

We don't run lift axles on dump trucks here can pack 15 ton legally thats about all you want to pack and navigating the roads we also run 425 or 445/65R 22.5 supersingles on the front axle to keep the steer tires sinking out of sight in the mud plus it gives us the load carrying cap on the front axle of 18-20,000lbs.