PDA

View Full Version : Permission to post pics of Customers property?

PR0 TURF
02-25-2003, 06:13 PM
When you are adding pictures to your website's picture gallery do you need to get permission of the property owner before you post a picture of there yard?

:confused:

progreen
02-25-2003, 11:33 PM
Im not sure what the legal answer is to this question.. I'll try and find out though. I think it would be polite to ask the owner for permission to post a pic of their house/property. I don't see any reason why someone would object.

BP - Progreen

John Gamba
02-26-2003, 06:31 AM
Its Allways Better To Get The Permition First. Just Mail Them Or Go Over To Them With a Framed Picture Of The Property and In The Middle Of the Ohhhss And Ahhhss Ask Them Permition For What You Need It for.
Good luck John.

Powerstride
02-28-2003, 02:15 PM
Again, it is a good customer relation's idea to ask first, but as a part-time property assessor/appraiser I am required to photgraph properties all the time. It is unoquivically perfectly legal to photgraph a home from the street, as long as the subject is just the home. ( no tele-photo zooming on the hottie in the window :D) It is your legal right to photgragh anything in the open, as long as you are not tresspassing, and as long as your not invading one's privacy. I've ran the gambit on this matter with some looney homeowners a time or two, and the cops always support this position.

Now posting that picture on the website is a different matter, but I would assume if the photo was taken legally, it's okay to post it?:confused:

Lawn-Scapes
03-01-2003, 03:37 PM
However.. I didn't. I thought about asking and my wife said I should. I didn't think it was a big deal and figured they would be flattered rather than upset. I posted the pictures w/o asking and noone has called to complain.

BTW.. I don't think there are any legal issues as to whether you can or can't. Especially if the pictures are taken off the property.. may be a different story if you're on the property.

Also.. I like your Logo Pro-Turf. What did you choose for your domain name?

adrianvbarrera
03-29-2003, 03:39 PM
One of my serious hobbies is Photography.

If you are using the picture for your own purpose like showing a slide show to family members you do not need a release.

But if you are posting them on the net and they serve to increase your business then you do need a release.

It is called a Property release. Most of the time the people will be flattered that you are going to put their house on the net but then again there are folks that will practically kick you out of their house for asking.

Legally you need a Property Release to post on the net.

Adrian

NNJLandman
03-29-2003, 07:48 PM
Yes I really suggest that you ask the property owner for permission for you want to try to be poliet this way you won't lose business. Just try not to include anything in the picture that would give away an address. This way even though i don't know people that would do this but have people driving to the location to look at the job; walking on the property, this might cause a problem so I suggest that you do recieve permission which I always do when building web sites. Good Luck :)

Groundcover Solutions
04-03-2003, 12:52 PM
I am a part time graphic designer and in all of our adds that we use a picture of something that we do not own we are required to get a relase form the owner to use the picture for advertising perposes.