PDA

View Full Version : Re: What should I do?

Runner
08-27-2000, 12:56 AM
O.k., now what happened to our consideration for other people on this site. I think it was already communicated once that there are women, children, including mine, and users who don't care to read someones filth they print just out of their lack of ability to control themselves, not to mention the lack of professionalism. If you want to start making personal attacks and acting like that I would suggest taking it somewhere else before members like myself, my family, other members and SPONSORS take it somewhere else. Thank you for your consideration in the future. We are adults, and most of us are professionals - let's act like it.

Davis TLC
08-27-2000, 01:10 AM
I fully agree with you on this Runner.

Eric ELM
08-27-2000, 01:13 AM
Everyone should post as if they were talking to their parents or a customer. How long would you last on most jobs talking to a customer like that. Thanks for the post Runner.

KirbysLawn
08-27-2000, 01:14 AM
Well said Runner. I do not agree with everyone, nor do I expect everyone to agree with me. Just because we don't agree is no reason for us to call each other names and use profanity, or even worse! I think when we "argue" often we get good information because people open up a little more. Unfortunately, some people take it a little more personal. Last week someone in PA signed on under a new screen name and made very rude and perverted remarks about me personally, I really don't care but to have my child read it, that's another story.

Administrator
08-27-2000, 01:15 AM
I couldn't have said it better.

I spend hours upon hours trying to make lawnsite.com a better community for you guys. Please take into consideration the rest of the community when you post.

I will not tolerate the language and attacks. I don't have enough time to babysit and edit your discussions so I will just start deleting your memberships.

excel25
08-27-2000, 07:09 AM
Thats what keeps me away from a lot of the outher forums, they spend all the time argueing and loose site of the purpose.

MOW ED
08-27-2000, 09:45 AM
I think this is a First Class Site and Chuck and Eric both work very hard at keeping it this way.
There are the times when someone gets on and causes trouble but I have noticed that this doesn't last long.

There is a very small percentage of objectional language out of thousands of posts which is a credit to those who run this forum. I as well as 99.9% of you want to keep this a forum of discussion not a forum of fighting.

Charles
08-27-2000, 10:05 AM
I think its just that is a frustrating type of business. So we have to be a little more understanding when tempers flare. We take alot of crap from the some of public most every day. And you just have to hold in all that resentment towards them. Where do you release this tension? Toward you family? No way should you do this. In this forum with your peers? Well up to a point with the rule and good taste of the forum. I don't think Eric or the administrator should panic and start banning when things get a little out of control. Everyone on here has bad days and good days. Most wish the next day they didn't say certain things after they had a good nite rest. Lets face it though heated discussions are interesting. And alot of times during the heat of battle you don't have time to think extensivly in getting your point accross. And sometimes you get very pissed off. Its just going to happen in a large forum like this. Just delete what extremely crosses the line and lets move on. But please grown men shouldnt cry but its a free country and cry if u must. One decision should be made though. Is this an adult forum? Or a kiddie forum where YOU let you kids read this material and therefore you are responsible. I have no idea why your kids would be reading a lawn service forum. If I was a kid I would be bored stiff with this stuff. It seems to me the world is being sanitised for the kids and theres no room for us adults. I am just referring to lite profanity and maybe off color jokes etc

Eric ELM
08-27-2000, 10:30 AM
A person can argue without using bad language. You say you wouldn't take it out on your family, I agree that's not good. I consider a lot of the guys and gals on here sort of like family. I have been part of this forum for over a year now and have become good friends with some. Chuck and I both have lawn businesses and we have bad days too. I feel there is nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone, but why does some feel they need to swear. I've heard them all and used them all, but not here. Everytime someone feels like swearing on here, just go click on one of Chucks sponsors and see what they have to offer. :)

dhicks
08-27-2000, 10:33 AM
I agree with Runner.

However, where else can we go after a terrible day, e.g. equipment failures and a nasty customer thrown in for good measure to commiserate with? I doubt that I would talk with my competitor: this is the only place to vent and talk with those that share own common concerns and source of revenue.

While profanity is never necessary in good English sometimes is just feels good to say it the way you mean it.

Charles
08-27-2000, 10:40 AM
I guess the same reason the most popular comedians swear. More colorful I guess. Seems to work for them. One of the most notable exceptions is Jerry seinfeld. Alot of women swear more than men these days. Seems that people without realizing they are doing it also. But see one of my last sentences I said "lite swearing" with the rules of good taste. I didnt mean the fu word or the sh word. If you are a fast typer like I said you may not even relise you typed it in lol. But most people on here are good about hiding a cuss word. Like s**t.. But some get carried away and should be banned if they prove they cant control themselve on a regular basis. But I am a christian and still would no way want this to become a religious or a bible meeting forum.

gusbuster
08-27-2000, 10:45 AM
Charles,
As to kids reading this forum, There are people on this forum that are members, under the age of eighteen. In this country, that makes them kids.

Eric,
I do agree with you on the issue of bad langauge, but let's face reality. Do you ever hear the language that kids use now adays??? If I talked like that to any of my elders 25 years ago, let's put this way, I got to look at the walls in my room for many hours.

To all: it's one thing to disagree with another person, it's wrong to verbaly attack an idividual. Treat people the way you wish to be treated. Let's keep the distriptive language to a minnium.
On that same note, I apoligize for using any offensive language in my previouse 100 something post.

John

Charles
08-27-2000, 11:06 AM
No kidding gus. Well duh. Their are also alot of adults here. Thats why most of us compromise in what we say and how we say it up to a point. We are just discussing what that point is. I dont feel responsible for any kid who logs onto the internet. Their are plenty of programs out their for parents to control what their children see on the internet. But I am not advocating extreme profanity. Haven't I made myself clear on that??? Person attack are wrong too. "LIke all of you suck" lol or "you are a ***" But critism is one thing everyone on this forum should be able to except. Because in life and this business you better learn how to except it and deal with it and learn from it

Charles
08-27-2000, 11:34 AM
Ya know Eric, when you welcomed new member in your last post. Aolt of women these days would be offended and find it sexist. When you included them in with the children like they were dainty or something. See no matter what you say these days someone out there will probably be offended

bucktail
08-27-2000, 11:44 AM
Considering this thread is presumably related to the thread of the same name in which i wrongly went overboard and began to feel as though i was being personally attacked and had to defend myself I wish to sincerely apologize to all members and guests who had to see me sink to that level. In addition i would like to apologize to keith whom i think felt like he was being personally attacked and had to defend himself. It was uncalled for and as was recently posted most unprofessional! The topic was one that stirred me up in the worst way and was something i felt strongly about this i know does not justify my lack of restraint.This forum is a good one and i feel bad for being responsible for not maintaining obvious consideration for others.Again please accept my apologies!

GrassMaster
08-27-2000, 01:51 PM
Hello Everybody:

Keep the forum # 1 & keep out the #2?

Maybe we need a special XXX rated forum with a pass word. Then all the people that want to spew filth from their mouths can just go there.

Yes people have their wives & children read this forum. It helps their family understand their job a little better.

Yes there are younger people out there reading this forum trying to improve them selves. If they want filth they can go to almost any chat room & get it. A great source for filth is at school or riding the school bus.

Why would anyone with sound mind & body want to promote crap. It sure doesn't make you look good. Save that soap opera sissey stuff for somewhere else & somebody that is interested in it. Why take advantage of this Great forum & try to drag it down.

If it's eating you alive that bad to show your vast knowledge of 4 lettered filth do it the right way & E-mail them. BTW & FYI a real person would do it in person. Talk is cheap in print & it's always a one way conversation. That's why we should be so careful as to what we post?

Knowledge is power, this forum is suppose to be about free knowledge that will give you power.

Kent Lawns
08-27-2000, 04:15 PM
If everybody agreed, you wouldn't learn anything.

I agree, no foul language, but MOST of the registered users are PROFESSIONAL???????

No WAY!

I doubt if even half are licensed and keep books/pay all taxes.
From the responses to the pesticide questions, MOST are either unknowledgeable or unwilling to share.

In any case, sadly, most guys on this forum and lawn guys in the real world are a far cry from "professional".

richard2
08-27-2000, 06:58 PM
charles- people with a sense of humor will be rewarded in the afterlife....imagine if someone tripped runner after his post on this subject?

<b> I have a great sense of humor but your smart replies are getting old. Don't try and work your way around bad words by adding a sh in place of the f.

I realize we are mostly adults here but if you can't communicate without adding bad words maybe you should have been a plumber. :) see.. I do have a sense of humor.

cos
08-27-2000, 07:36 PM
I have to respond to this and i really dont want to but............

Richardb when have you ever said anything intelligent. Charles is right, we can all chat here in a dignified manner without eric having sensor us. If you want to here negativity in the worst sense, go to another forum (and i'm not gonna give them the benefit of the dought). I think eric does a great job, and yes this is probably the best site there is on the web. Let's keep it that way.

bob
08-27-2000, 08:08 PM
Remember the personal attacks that caused Stone to leave? No one should be put in this position again. We're all here to help each other!! :)

Runner
08-28-2000, 12:07 AM
Thanks Richard!!! Thanks to you, I now have a skinned elbow!

richard2
08-28-2000, 12:13 AM
didn't mean for you to skin an elbow nor cause any trouble...just the indy filmmaker in me...doin' some urban decay as well as suburban farming! lol

southside
08-28-2000, 09:16 AM
Bucktail, That was great! Good to see someone with the
moral fibre to stand up and accept responsiblity for his
actions. Now maybe if we could pass that on to todays kids.
And yes I do swear a lot,as do most people here.I am in the
fortunate position to have minimum customer contact,as I
mainly do large commercial contracts.So I can be myself,
most of the time. After leaving the army I had to clean up
my act a lot though. :)

Karl

legend
08-29-2000, 01:15 AM
Bucktail I wish I was man enough to apologize more often. That was a noble gesture. I read a saying today " I treat you like a gentleman, not because you are, but because I am. " Made me think.

bucktail
08-29-2000, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the kind words fellows makes me feel a little better after acting like a child!