PDA

View Full Version : Putting Down Sod Help

Strawbridge Lawn
02-26-2003, 05:13 PM
HAve a job to put down 2,350 Sqr Ft of sod. What prep work or other materials should use during the process.
site is essentially flat.

Thank You in advance

ipm
02-26-2003, 06:11 PM
4 1/2 pallets roughly. Skid steer, rake. or 2 guys and hand rakes.

devildog
02-26-2003, 06:17 PM
...........and; starter fert, bush axe for triming and roller. with regards... devildog

DaddyRabbit
02-26-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by devildog
...........and; starter fert, bush axe for triming and roller. with regards... devildog

We use gas edgers for our trimming and it comes out very nice. If it's flat then rolls of sod make life soo much easier. I have an attachment on my tractor and it rolls off too easy and looks better. Just a thought.

J&R
02-26-2003, 10:47 PM
sod stakes to keep sod flat and helps keep the sod from rolling up on the ends.

Strawbridge Lawn
02-26-2003, 10:53 PM
I have a Dingo priced in for transporting the sod from the front to the back so that part is set. Since sod is established is starter fert the way to go? I was kind of thinking of a 14-14-14.

I have noticed that some sod has netting beneath it. I figure this is essential where erosion is a concern due to sloping terrain, but my gut says this is not necessary.. Please verify..

What would you charge for labor for a 2,350 sqr ft job?

r
Gary

wojo23323
02-26-2003, 11:28 PM
I have only done a few sod jobs. It all depends on how much your sod costs and if they can put the pallets where you need them.

Lanelle
02-27-2003, 12:06 AM
The netting is there for the benefit of the grower. Allows earlier harvest of turf that has roots that are not so strongly knit together. This is especially the case for the tall Fescues. Without the netting the sod would fall into little clumps. I don't like it but sometimes it is the only type available.

Strawbridge Lawn
02-27-2003, 08:24 AM
Thank you.. Did not know that about the netting.. sod cost
is about %600.00 delivered. Have dingo for on-site transfer.

KerryB
02-27-2003, 10:05 AM
With all this good advise I cant think of anything to add except, remember green side up. lol

sbecker25
02-27-2003, 12:52 PM
I don't know what a pallet of sod weight in your part of the country but I would check before I would rent a dingo or you'll be wheelbarrowing half the sod to make the pallets light enough for the dingo to lift.

Strawbridge Lawn
02-27-2003, 04:52 PM
Was going to take the sod off the pallet and fill the dingo bucket.
drive dingo to site and put it down. Handling it more than i would like but should not be an issue

wojo23323
02-27-2003, 06:43 PM
When I did my sod jobs, the delivery driver placed the pallets in the backyard for me so I did not need a wheelbarrow or dingo. If you have good access the driver should do the same for you.

kris
02-27-2003, 07:19 PM
You do not need sod stakes unless it is on a steep hill.

Once we think the site is prepped we roll the soil ... this will show you if you have any imperfections ... fert and lay ...cut in... Light watering then roll ...water heavily.

Lanelle is correct about the netting...we have a supplier here that uses it and we find it is an inferior product compared to our regular supplier who does not use the netting.

GroundKprs
02-27-2003, 07:33 PM
If you are going to fertilize the sod to help rooting, use a starter fertilizer, usually a 1-2-1 ratio.

You apply the fertilizer to the loosened soil before laying the sod. This causes the roots to grow down into the nutrient, and your turf establishes better. I will actually till in fert to a depth of about 3", then level and add a very light app of fert again before laying sod.

SWD
03-03-2003, 08:53 AM
I have used sod that has netting and sod without - I haven't had preferences either way.
As far as what equipment you need, add a machete to that list for tie in and fitting work.
You also need about 1 cubic yard of loose topsoil to topdress the seams. This will really help the sod to grow together faster.
I never rolled the soil before or after sod installation, I do not want any question of compaction. I have found (after laying over at least 25 acres) that good site preparation and a good fitting with the top dressing, rolling isn't necessary.
I like a harley power box rake for this kind of work.
See if anyone in the area you operate has one for rent.

Strawbridge Lawn
03-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Sod will be on pallets so I don't expect rolls. Also there is limited access to back yard so wit ha Dingo prices into the job it will be no big thingas far as moving it.

I will be filling in an old sandbox with some fill dirt and tip soil so
I will ensure I get extra to fit in the seams

Thank you
GB
Strawbridge Lawn

Lanelle
03-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Usually the sod I buy is delivered on pallets but it is rolled and stacked on the pallet. Each roll is 1 sq. yard, cut about 16" wide. The number of rolls depends on how wet and heavy the rolls are. The farms that cut the flat pieces usually make the pieces rather small, thus increasing the labor time needed to handle and install.