PDA

View Full Version : deposits

slowleak
02-27-2003, 05:47 PM
how much of a deposit on sevice is the norm? or do you just bill'm.or does it depend on the material used.?

paponte
02-27-2003, 07:27 PM
Service? What kind? As far as maintenance, all our customers get billed monthly. If it is design, installation, const. etc. we get at least 1/2 down.

Haley Lawn Care
02-27-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by paponte
Service? What kind? As far as maintenance, all our customers get billed monthly. If it is design, installation, const. etc. we get at least 1/2 down.

That is a very good way to do it. Any thing other than mowing you get half down before you even start the job. That way you have the customer commited and if they would want to back out hopefully you have not lost anything. On mowing I just bill once monthly if they are contract or every 2 times if they are not contract.

David

dougaustreim
02-27-2003, 07:42 PM
Anything over $500.00 is one third down, if the job is real heavy in special material, we go for half. You don't get a spot on the schedule until the deposit is made. The only deviation is of course some commerical subcontract work, where the terms are worked out with the general contractor. Those are usually bonded jobs, so your pretty much guaranteed. Also in the late fall, when we don't know how much season is left, we won't ask for a deposit for jobs that we're not sure we'll get done , unless we have to order special material.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

baddboygeorge
02-27-2003, 10:29 PM
maintance is billed at end of month an design an installation work is 50% down upon signing of contract ..

PAPS
02-27-2003, 11:39 PM
*Maintenance is billed once a month.
*Construction is a 50% deposit on any work over $1000.00.

bob
02-28-2003, 05:42 PM
I've never ask for any money up front. But I beleive the norm would be enough to cover the cost of the materials.

jlmac
03-03-2003, 08:31 AM
If you don't get a deposit to cover materials and at least some labor you are acting like a bank and financing a portion of the job for your customer. This costs you money. I won't do a job without at least a 50% deposit. Cash flow is the life blood of a small business.