PDA

View Full Version : What kind of walk behind?

promower2002
02-27-2003, 06:07 PM
I have a little troybilt 21 inch cut, but due to getting some larger accounts that require us to bag the grass, what would you recommend in a self propelled, say 24-48 inch walk behind that does a nice job striping a lawn, as well as a good bagging system.Thanks for your advice.:cool:

paponte
02-27-2003, 06:08 PM
Scag. Tough and reliable.

promower2002
02-27-2003, 06:20 PM
I have had a scag salesman after me to change over from my line of grasshoppers to his brand. maybe this would help me see if I like their customer support, etc, before i buy some bigger stuff. Thanks for the reply

G. Moose
02-27-2003, 07:02 PM
I'll cast my vote for Scag. They are the toughest machines in the industry and will stripe well also. However, if quality of cut is REALLY important, I hear exmark does a little better job. Be prepared to spend a little more money on Scag but they are worth it. If you can afford it, go with a hydro unit. Much easier to drive and won't have problems with belts slipping. But they are very pricy. Get 36" or 48" depending on the size of your properties. The 36 will not scalp as bad as a 48, but if you get a floating deck, neither will scalp. I am a stickler for getting the biggest engine available unless you never encounter heavy cutting conditions. My 48" has a 17hp Kawasaki and it has no power problems whatsoever. ;)

brucec32
02-27-2003, 07:56 PM
For what I assume is your limited budget if you're mowing with 21" units, I'd recommend Toro T bar belt drive mowers. Easier on your hands. Their fixed decks are actually Exmark (welded, not stamped) decks, so you'd be getting the best cut too. I just ordered a 32" Toro fixed deck 13hp Kawasaki for gated areas....$2500 delivered. I have used their floating decks for years...cut varies amongst models and depends on what you're cutting. Floaters are easier to change cut height on.

I think maximum durability matters less than ease of use if you're the owner/operator.

jamesday
02-27-2003, 08:00 PM
What about John Deere? Anybody have an opinion? I have a SCAG 48" Belt WB that's a few years old...bought it used. I love it...and it runs like a champ.

grassdaddy
02-27-2003, 08:24 PM
Got a 2002 17/48 scag belt drive,I have since demo'd wright,exmark,lesco and hustler.In my opinion hustler is the best.The new super with all the pups will be in a league all its own.Hustler also has best warranty in bus.Turf tracer with ECS and 23hp would be my second choice.--Too much hp is almost enough.;)

lawncare3
02-27-2003, 08:44 PM
I have had good luck with Snapper

BB36
02-27-2003, 08:57 PM
I'm with bruce32 on this one.I also use Toros and what he said about them is right on the money.

Flex-Deck
02-27-2003, 08:58 PM
John Deere makes darn good stuff - Here is a 36 - belt drive - the guy loves ithttp://JD -

J&R
02-27-2003, 09:05 PM
JD has the cheapist deck out there. As always more belts more pulleys a lot more problems

Flex-Deck
02-27-2003, 09:35 PM
OK - Then how about eXmark? Hydro Viking:http://36X

Doc Pete
02-27-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by grassdaddy
Got a 2002 17/48 scag belt drive,I have since demo'd wright,exmark,lesco and hustler.In my opinion hustler is the best.The new super with all the pups will be in a league all its own.Hustler also has best warranty in bus.)

Yup, demo'd the scag, bobcat, Exmark and bought the Hustler years ago. It's the only one for me. Buy whatever you like, but at least find out for "yourself" and don't let the rest of us decide for you;)

Awilkinson
02-27-2003, 11:24 PM
I reallylike my toro 44 wb hydro with t bar.

jamesday
02-28-2003, 08:57 PM
I freak'n love my JD 757 ZTR...Quiet, Fast and Sweeeet!!

I would take nothing over JD.

Flex-Deck
02-28-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by jamesday
I freak'n love my JD 757 ZTR...Quiet, Fast and Sweeeet!!

I would take nothing over JD.

I am with you jamesday - I run 455's and 332 and they have been going for 1000's of hrs

Thanks, Brad

DLCS
02-28-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by J&R
JD has the cheapist deck out there. As always more belts more pulleys a lot more problems

Please explain. I've only run John Deere equipment. I have not had any problems with decks and the pulleys. What problems? What model John Deere have you own(ed)?

Husker1982
02-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Alrighty fella's tack another tally for deere.
What the **** are you talking about. Deere makes IMHO the best cutting deck and by far the most durable deck. I run all deere equipment and would never change to anything. I have 2 757's, 1 737, 1 727, 1 HD45, and soon a 797. I will tell you this J&R John Deere is above quality and sets the standards for dependability. And like I always say ....

Flex-Deck
02-28-2003, 11:32 PM
Deere has the greatest service in the mowing industry around here, and the neatest thing about it, is my fleet of 3 455"s and 1 332 never get to get fixed, because they don't break.

Doc Pete
02-28-2003, 11:54 PM
I freak'n love my JD 757 ZTR...Quiet, Fast and Sweeeet!!I would take nothing over JD.

OK, So just what type of "Walkbehind" is it???? And, the price.........

Scag48
03-01-2003, 03:34 AM
Honestly, I don't think I could get over the fact of running a stamped deck. I would much rather have Exmark's deep, welded deck. Besides, JD is expensive. You're paying for that green and yellow paint, but they do make a good product. If they had Exmark decks, and I don't doubt that within about 10 years they will because they're buying everyone out, they'd be a great machine that would give Exmark a run for their money. My .02.

Doc Pete
03-01-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Scag48
Honestly, I don't think I could get over the fact of running a stamped deck. I would much rather have Exmark's deep, welded deck. Besides, JD is expensive. You're paying for that green and yellow paint, but they do make a good product. If they had Exmark decks, and I don't doubt that within about 10 years they will because they're buying everyone out, they'd be a great machine that would give Exmark a run for their money. My .02.

After just rechecking with my local dealer, he sells the Hustler 17kaw with 48" floating deck hydro for $4,300. And, unless I'm missing something, this is good price compared to anyone. Am I wrong???
Pete

rodfather
03-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Ferris makes a 36" and 48" deck, both in belt and hydro type. Yoiu might want to checxk them out:)

brucec32
03-01-2003, 05:35 PM
Sounds like a great price for the features, Switchless. Big engine, good sized floating deck, H bar steering, high ground speed, what's not to like at that price? Was quoted $4199 for a 44" Toro Hydro w/ 15hp kohler.

GLS
03-01-2003, 08:52 PM
Hey Flex-Deck:

How do you like that JD 36" walk-behind? I think I am going to purchase one for this year. I am looking at the GS30 with a 36" deck and 13 HP Kohler (hope that's big enough). I mostly have my eye on this one because the dealer is good and the price is about right ($2400).

Just wondered if you had any problems with it.

Thanks,
Ryan

Likestomow
03-01-2003, 10:07 PM
Over the winter I bought three walk-behindís for the upcoming season:
2002 Exmark Turf Tracer hp 48Ē
1996 Toro 52Ē hydro
1999 Great Dane 52Ē Scamper

The Toro is a brute with that 20hp Kohler motorcycle engine and it is requiring modifications on the T-bar, but I like it. I plan to copy Exmarks deck adjustment rods and fab them on this machine.

The TT-hp is like brand new, but I like the least. For me it is hard to drive because I have to think backwards to operate the spring-loaded handles. The thing is a tiger, but letting go to go forward and pulling back to steer just isnít very intuitive to me. I plan to sell it very soon. Donít get me wrong, itís a really nice machine for someone who likes them because it has less than 100 hours.

The Great Dane I bought out-of-town and only saw pictures of it. This machine is so different because it has a very wide stance and individual mini control levers just like a ZTR. The deck is fixed, so it wonít be as easy to adjust as the Exmark but I think I can live with that. This machine is now making me consider a Super Surfer for my next purchase.

DLS1
03-01-2003, 11:03 PM
I demoed end of last year a Hustler 37" walk-behind and it was great with those motorcycle type grips versus pistol grips. Less fatigue on the hands and hopefully less chance of carpel tunnel problems.

I got three words for you. Demo,demo,demo.

Doc Pete
03-01-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by LSDLS
I demoed end of last year a Hustler 37" walk-behind and it was great with those motorcycle type grips versus pistol grips. Less fatigue on the hands and hopefully less chance of carpel tunnel problems. I got three words for you. Demo,demo,demo.

Yup, sooner or later the "other" guy's will finally come around...... Actually, I think I liked it better when nobody even looked at Hustler. It let me make more money, cut better and was less tired than the competition..........It's a tough life, but somebody's gotta make all the money :dizzy:

IBGreen
03-01-2003, 11:24 PM
I have tried to look at a Deere ztr and wb but the dealers around here look at me like I'm an idiot when I ask them if they can GET commercial mowing equipment.

DLS1
03-01-2003, 11:33 PM
Hey Switchless, twist your hands forward or backwards or left and right using those motorcycle grips and the machines moves quick, but you already know that.

It was real fun to demo the Hustler with those grips. I am hoping to be one of the people Hustler selects to beta test the Gatemaster starting March or April or ?. So I am holding off buying a Hustler until I demo the Gatemaster.

jamesday
03-02-2003, 12:13 AM
Hey OryanO:

I just purchased a GS30 36" 13hp...It should arrive in about a week...you want me to let you know what I think?

If I like it as much as my 757 ZTR then I'll be one happy sob.

bobbygedd
03-02-2003, 01:24 AM
bobcat, i have two, love em, the cut is sweeeeet

Doc Pete
03-02-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by LSDLS
Hey Switchless, twist your hands forward or backwards or left and right using those motorcycle grips and the machines moves quick, but you already know that.

It was real fun to demo the Hustler with those grips. I am hoping to be one of the people Hustler selects to beta test the Gatemaster starting March or April or ?. So I am holding off buying a Hustler until I demo the Gatemaster.

Hey, I'm not picky, I'll take any of the Hustler WB's.........:p Actually, I'm finding out from my dealer that part of why you don't see too many Hustlers is the local dealers want to make a killing of the mower. As I mentioned $4,300 for the "full blown" 48" is a great price. I think a new 54" is under $4,600.
Pete

johnhenry
03-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
After just rechecking with my local dealer, he sells the Hustler 17kaw with 48" floating deck hydro for $4,300. And, unless I'm missing something, this is good price compared to anyone. Am I wrong???
Pete

Pete you are right there.$4,300 is a great price for the hustler. One dealer in my area is asking 4,668 for the same mower.One in arkansas wanted $5,499.

I feel and its just my thoughts you have to look at hustler,exmark,ferris,great dane & scag and then go from there.Then take into account price,controls, and dealer who you have to work with

GLS
03-02-2003, 12:25 PM
you want me to let you know what I think?

That would be great. Thanks a lot.

Ryan

Mow4u
03-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Honestly I would get out there and test out different mowers soem people just test one out and think its the best cause they dont get out of there own little dang box and look and test out things for me i like hustler and exmarck exmark slightly cheaper and a easier to get servise for and all that but go for what you like the best well atleast here in North Carolina its hard to get hustler service local dealers are in fayetville na wilmington and concord i believe hell i dunno just check out other mowers ha ha.

jamesday
03-03-2003, 10:26 AM
I agree Mow4u...I also think every mower feels different for everybody. I have a SCAG WB and I'm of course fixing to get my JD...I love the way they both feel and operate...but that's just me.

The GS30 I demo'd was sweeet.

Flex-Deck
03-04-2003, 07:12 PM
Oryno - Jamesday - The JD WB you saw in my pics is a neighbor of mines. -- He loves it and he loves the flex-deck, but I did let him run my 36 hydro eXmark viking, and I think he may be thinking very strongly about going from belt drive to hydro JD.

Thanks Brad