PDA

View Full Version : another quick mulch question

Qualey
02-27-2003, 07:02 PM
I noticed many of you price your mulch as a per yard installed and delivered rate. My question is does this include the installation of any fabric, and more importantly, any edging/removal of excess sod. We do several large facilities (hospitals, complexes) and every year do an edge retrim. I always bid the jobs based on labor for all phases of the work plus the bulk cost of the mulch. Your way sounds easier, just curious as to what exactly it consists of.

Finally, I've been looking for info on the Edgemaster/Bedmaster tool. Do any of you use this? It pivots in the middle and cuts the new edge with an oscillating blade and lays the cut sod out for easy pickup. Any feedback? They aren't cheap, but hopefully very efficient.

Matt

Lombardi
02-27-2003, 11:14 PM
In my area mulch is priced by the yard, delivered and spread off the trailer. If I have to wheelbarrow it in I will charge more. There is nothing else included in that price.

paponte
02-28-2003, 07:18 AM
I charge per yard for the actual product, and by the hour to install. This includes all bed prep. We get $100.hr with an hour minimum.

Cutmore
02-28-2003, 12:13 PM
As it was explained to me 1 time.Ya don't need landscape fabric under wood mulch. Wood is an organic product and will @ sometime need to be "turned" and new mulch applied for fresh color. Only time ya need fabric is when your putting down stone so that soil and stone do not mix.

bob
02-28-2003, 04:41 PM
Matt, I don't have an EdgeMaster, but I have a Brown Bed Edger. after I re-do a bed edge, I go along with a rake and flatten the pile of fresh dirt. On larger beds, I'll just run my Gator along the fresh pile and the three tires will squish it down.
As for using fabric with mulch, I don't use it. I'd rather use a pre-emergent like Snap Shot to keep the weeds from comming up.

David Gretzmier
03-06-2003, 12:53 PM
I am anti fabric as well. we need about $90 per yard installed to make money on everything included. we use herbicides to kill weeds and more to keep them out.

Daveg

mowngrow
03-10-2003, 12:18 AM
our price is just for the mulch and install-thats it. anything is gonna cost more. as far as fabric is concerned, you dont need it with mulch.