PDA

View Full Version : Double Blade Setups?

Esby
08-27-2000, 02:46 PM
In these forums I've heard a lot about double blade setups. I'm very interested to here more about this. I've talked to several other companies in my area and to my dealer and none of them have heard of this. Maybe its just not used in this area, but I am willing to give it a try! What kind of blades do I use? Do I need to do anything special to the spindles of my Exmark? Will it work my Kaw. engine harder, more or less do any damage? Does it cut better? How do you position them underneith the deck? What else is there to know? Try to let me know anything and everything about double blade set-ups!!

Evan528
08-27-2000, 03:04 PM
do a search! theres probly hundreads of threads involving double blades!

John DiMartino
08-27-2000, 03:45 PM
I run doubles on my DC,they do work it harder,especially if you run a hi-lift in there.It burns a bit more fuel and loads the motor a bit more.I have 25hp,and its not to much of a load for my 60" cut.I would not wnat to try these if i had only 20hp or less,I doubt it would even hit governed RPM's with that kinda load.You didnt say how big a deck or how much HP you have,but Kawi's have more torque than Kohlers per HP so your probably OK.I is very noisey with 2 blades,but mine discharges between 15-20ft with them.I use regualar blades just like Eric does.Go to his site,he has a page on about them.Mine cuts finer with them,clippings are smaller and spread better,I dont notice much else.

Eric ELM
08-27-2000, 04:01 PM
As John and Evan have said, there are lots of posts on this subject. Go to the bottom or top of this page to SEARCH and put in Double and you will find lots of info. I have run doubles on 2 - 60" Choppers with only a 20 HP Magnum engine and the 20 HP handled it, but I wouldn't try it with less on a 60" or it will be pulling very hard. Where I noticed a big difference that John didn't mention is when I used to mow a field every 2 or 3 weeks, it would cut all the tall weeds down that used to take a second time of mowing to get them cut. This double blade usage, I started using about 12 years ago when we got rain everyday for 2 weeks. I gave it a try and have used them since. I originally called this my rain blade system. :)

From what I've read, guys using Exmarks able to use them on the W/B and riders. Most guys like them. To see what John mentioned about them on my site, click on my name below. If you have any more questions after reading all the posts on the search option, we can answer them.

Esby
08-27-2000, 06:34 PM
The machine that I want to put the double blades on is a 48" Exmark W/B with a 15hp Kaw. Will double blades on that be too much for it? As far as blades, I checked out Eric ELM's site and am still curious as to what type of blades to put on? Just two of my regular blades on each spindle, can i put Gators on it too, or would that not benifit? I know to run them in a cross(+). I thank you all so much for all your help, you are great!

excel25
08-27-2000, 09:38 PM
ESBY I have a Kees 48" 14hp. I've got Gator and reg.cut works great. Hige lift pulled a lot of power. Try it,and you wont be sorry.

Eric ELM
08-27-2000, 11:14 PM
Esby, try using a Gator and a regular lift. It won't pull down your engine much with that combo. Try what you have and see what works best for you. I use a high lift and a gator on my 26 HP diesel.

Esby
08-28-2000, 01:36 AM
Thank you all for your help, I put on the double blades, I put the regular one on the bottom and the gator on top. It cut very well and left even nicer stripes than it did before I thought. Thanks again, if there is anything else that I need to know, I appreciate it!