PDA

View Full Version : 39" or 48" walkbehind?

jeff in ohio
03-01-2003, 08:48 AM
I've decided to go with a hustler w.b. for home use. I would like opinions on the 39 vs. 48. Does the 39 have any trim overhang, if so how much? Is there a difference in cut quality? (this is my most important factor) I can't find any pics of the 39.
thanks , jeff in ohio

mowerconsultant
03-03-2003, 10:14 AM
There is no 39" walk behind.
It is a 37" unit.
There is very little to no trim on the left side of the deck.
The cut quality is about the same as the 54" unit, it has the same blades (2 instead of 3) and has the same blade tip speed (17200).
I will check and see if I can find a pic of a 37" unit here and post it later today.

Later
Pj

mowerconsultant
03-03-2003, 04:24 PM
The only picture that I have.............

Doc Pete
03-03-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by jeff in ohio
I've decided to go with a hustler w.b. for home use. I would like opinions on the 39 vs. 48. Does the 39 have any trim overhang, if so how much? Is there a difference in cut quality? (this is my most important factor) I can't find any pics of the 39.
thanks , jeff in ohio

FWIW, the 48 (actually 49), will give you a better cut than the 37. The reason for this is the 49 has a shorter distance between the drive and front caster wheels, which will result in less scalping. So, unless you have "severe" area problems that "consistently" will not allow the 49 to fit between, the H bar steering will allow you to put the 49 in any spot of your lawn you want with the precision of a brain surgeon. IOW, as the commercial owner of both the 49 and 54, I'd go for the bigger machine, since the Hustler will seem like a "Tonka toy", as soon as get used to the H bar.
Pete

jeff in ohio
03-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Pete,
Thanks for the info. As a homeower, will the 17/48 do everything I'll need or should I wait for the super? I like the extra power but don"t see any need(for me) for the bigger tires and air cleaner.
jeff in ohio

Doc Pete
03-04-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by jeff in ohio
Pete,
Thanks for the info. As a homeower, will the 17/48 do everything I'll need or should I wait for the super? I like the extra power but don"t see any need(for me) for the bigger tires and air cleaner.
jeff in ohio

The supers are just that. They are "special units" even for us commerical cutters. They are for those of us that are very demanding and need the best of the best. The standard 17/48 has more than enough power for anything you can throw at it. I'm sure you will very happy with the standard 48, so don't wait for the super, and save some money buying the standard. Right now, my 48 has "only" about 400 hours on it, and has needed nothing but oil changes and filter. FYI, 400 hours is like 200 cuts on a 2 hour lawn, which at 25 cuts per year is 8 years of mowing.
Pete