PDA

View Full Version : Florida PALM question??

paponte
03-01-2003, 04:20 PM
Hey, I thought I would be able to come down to Florida and enjoy myself on vacation a little. Instead I did an install for my in laws. In the process, 3 of the neighbors want their houses done now. Thats no problem, just had a question about Palm trees.

They have existing palms, but going up the trunks are what appear to be all dead branches that "hug" the tree all the way up to the new growth. Excuse my ignorance, I am from up north and have no knowledge about palms. Is it OK to "peel" or remove these dead branches from the trunk? It forms almost a bark for the tree, but I think it looks alot better with it off. Just wanted to make sure it was healthy for the trees. Thanks in advance for the advise. :cool:

Ric
03-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Please excuse this rebel for laughing. I am sure I would have the type of question in the Big Apple. If I am reading you right then those palm trees need booted. Yes They will look a lot better with out the boots. With out knowing what variety they are I can not tell you how to deboot those trees. Heck even if I knew the variety it would be hard to write you how to do it. Drive around town and see if you can watch someone doing it. It is simple enough. However a lot of guys do it wrong. If you try it just be careful for there are many creatures that live in the boots. Namely Snakes Rats and Ants. Good Luck:D

paponte
03-01-2003, 07:39 PM
You could laugh, I would probably laugh if you asked a question about up here. I figured it was fine, so I went ahead and just did it. They were all dead, and came off pretty easy. I just left the ones under the new growth, being that they were still hanging on. It seemed right to do, but no one else has done it around here. I thought it just made the tree look "shaggy". Thanks Ric. :cool: