PDA

View Full Version : While you are here.

jaclawn
08-27-2000, 09:45 PM
In reading a post eairler about cutting down a small tree, it was said that the tree would take 20 minutes to cut down. Another reply said that 20 minutes would not be enough time to drive, setup, and make that first cut. This got me to thinking.

We all have a certian amount of "overhead" built into our price for each job. I mean, for each job, it takes time to travel, unload, bill, chat with customer... For each job you do, this is built into your price.

Getting to my question, do you guys discount this overhead charge for jobs when you are already onsite to mow or do other maintenance tasks? In the case of the tree, it will be more efficent to do the job when you are onsite to mow, taking less total time than if it were to be done on a seperate trip. Do you guys give a lower price if you can do the job that way?

One think that has me thinking is when I go to the dentist. If I am getting one filling, it is about $75. If I get three fillings in the same visit, it is $75 x 3. Now, isn't half the time involved getting me in the chair, getting me numbed up, getting his tools in order, cleaning up, billing...

If I were to get the three fillings in three seperate trips, the cost to me would be the same, but the time the dentist spends working on me would be higher. It takes say 30 minutes to do one filling, and maybe 50 minutes to do all three. If I went in three seperate trips, it could take 90 minutes of the dentists time.

So, my question, do you guys discount for mutiple services done in one trip?

Esby
08-27-2000, 10:03 PM
Well, thats a great question. Based on my passed experiences with these sitsuations, I would have to say that I do cut them a little break, but you still need to make your money on the job. This is what I base the bid on, what is involved, if its cutting down a tree, then you put into it: the saws, gas and oil, and of course time, if I am already on site and am not making a seperate trip then they dont get charged twice for transportation. Personaly I like to keep my business strickly to lawn care(mowing and trimming and everything else that goes with that), but sometimes I do other jobs if I have a break in my schedule.

Runner
08-27-2000, 11:42 PM
Look at it this way; You're saving themthe time and the hassle of looking for someone else to do it. If someone else came out, THEY would charge full price. Just because you are already there, that's because you are performing another service that costs you to get there anyway. If youtake your car or truck in to have a tune up, and you have a brake job done too, you can BET you're paying full price for both.

Lanelle
08-28-2000, 01:54 AM
Seems like stopping the mowing to cut down a tree would wreak havoc with the day's mowing schedule. Also, are you going to haul around the debris for the rest of the day? Save that job for a day that is too wet to mow. Also, you said that it is a small tree. I hope that it is. You should be very clear about what your business insurance will cover and what it won't.
Discount?? This is not retail. Just treat your customer right. Get a fair price for the work done and do a good job.

jaclawn
08-28-2000, 06:12 AM
Lanelle- I did not say that it was me that was going to do the tree work. I was refering to a thread by mykee on 08/27/2000 at 1:07 P.M. EST. See post http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=4099

That post was what brought the question to my mind.

What if the job is a very small one, say 15 minutes. If one were doing it for a one time customer, or requiring a seperate trip, you would need to get at least enough $$$ to cover say 45 minutes, to cover drive time, unload time, greeting customer, billing. Correct? Lets make numbers easy, your hourly rate is $60. You could charge $45 for the job, requiring a seperate trip.

Now, lets say that you do the exact same job for a regular maintenance customer. You do it on a day when you are there to perform regularly scheduled maintenance tasks. (Your insurance will cover you performing the task, it will not wreak havoc with your schedule, and the debris removal is not a problem -Lannelle) The job takes 15 minutes, what do you charge? Remember, it takes only the actual time to complete the task, no extra drive time, no extra unloading time...

thelawnguy
08-28-2000, 06:27 AM
You should find another dentist. My doc charges on a sliding scale-as you say, youre already in the chair.

I will charge a customer less total, if I have multiple jobs at the same time, than if I had to do each job on a separate visit. Only makes sense.

MOW ED
08-28-2000, 07:23 AM
If the customer wants the job done and its a little outside the scope of lawncare I am the one who decides if
1. I can do the job.
2. I want to do the job.

If I want to do it then I might tell the customer that they are getting a price break for me being on the property
(they may in fact be saving 5 bucks).

But I do not NEED to do any work so when I do its for the same price as the tree trimmer would get. I look at it this way - I would be upset if the tree guy brought his lawn mower and charged the lady 15 bucks to do her 45 dollar lawn while he was there removing her 16 foot birch for 200.

EarthWorks
08-28-2000, 10:46 PM
Generally if I can schedule a job in that works out better for me then that is to MY advantage and not the customer's.

cos
08-28-2000, 10:59 PM
Lets look at it from both stand points.

The Customer "how much to cut that dang tree down" I dont think that joe smith wants to hear that well "cause I have to make a special trip it will have to be ex amount of dollars" Joe smith wants to hear " it will cost you (say) $200" Customer says "ok" Then its on you to make it to your advantage to cut that dang tree down for the said price, whether say during an off day or if its better to do it while you have the man power there. Clean up is usually better with the lawn mowers and a basket. I think you can argue this either way and I dont think there is right or wrong here. When i went to penn state for estimating and bidding this subject came up and the class was split.

Best Wishes.

EarthWorks
08-28-2000, 11:08 PM
If you have high mobilization costs (moving equipment) then I can see cutting some slack if equipment is already there. But this job will not require and special moving of equip.

mykee
08-28-2000, 11:18 PM
Dear jaclawn et all
I seem to be getting double milage on my post about the tree
Let me tell you a bit more and what I have decided to do
This is a regular customer and I will do the tree the same day as her lawn service. I will do the tree first so the debris will not screw up a fresh mow job. So there is no extra drive time and I feel the tree can be cut down and loaded on the trailer in 4/5 foot pieces and yes they will be there for the remainder of the day. I have no drive time to get the wood off as I,m taking it home and when I get to it I will add it to my fireplace pile. I have no problem taking branches and regular yard waste off site as once I am home I simply pitch fork off into the burn pile. I live in the country on 10 acres and can burn anytime I usually light up this brush while already outside for a firepit fire in the evenings. So I believe I can charge around $125.
for the job and we will both be happy. As far as screwing up the rest of the days mow schedule I am new and my busy days are still only about a 5 hour maximum so I can easily fit the job in the schedule for the day. I hope this will help explain things furthur. NOW if someone out there thinks the 125 is too cheap write and tell me I.m not stuck on that figure yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cos
08-28-2000, 11:38 PM
Is the price of $125 comfortable with you. That is the question you have to ask yourself. You have one up on me. I have to go to a dump and pay extra costs to remove brush. Just keep in mind that you have to drag all the brush off the trailler and thats of course extra work. And another question for you is, will all that brush interfer with the rest of your mowings (will it slow you down). Its kinda hard to answer your question when i didnt really see the (dang) tree and dont know to much of your situation. Hope you make good on this tree, let us know how you make out.

Best wishes

diggerman
08-28-2000, 11:56 PM
I guess if you feel that $125 will not put you out of business and is fair to the customer and you personally will do the work, this is the kind of thing that will get you more work from her and others she knows. She also will more than likely be a good customer for a while.

BUSHMASTER
08-29-2000, 02:51 AM
I don,t know about yall but on days i do service i.e. cut,trim egde mow and go. thats all i do for speed. then on days that i don,t cut which is about 2 out of six i do landscape and clean ups and trees etc. this keeps me on shedule especilly if thers rain that week.So as far as the money someone has to drive there so charge enough to make money and feel good about it.