PDA

View Full Version : When do you normally over-seed ???

greenngrow
03-03-2003, 10:10 AM
I have a couple of accounts that want me to over-seed this spring.

I prefer to over-seed in the fall. But they insist that I do it this spring. Here in KY the desired time to over-seed in the spring is Mid-Feb to Mid-March. The weather has not cooperated in this time span. I am looking at one job that is about 3 acres.

Like I said they insist that I do it ASAP. It doesn't look like it is going to be this week the ground is still to soft and wet....

Anyone out there in my area had success in Spring over-seedings????

paponte
03-03-2003, 10:41 AM
I am in a different neck of the woods. But I do alot of seeding in the spring. No one wants to wait a whole season to have a green lawn. Trick that I have figured out, is that I include a fall reseed in my proposal. Everyone knows most of the time you will have spots that don't take. For the customer it seems like an insurance policy, they are guaranteed the seed will take. If not we will be back to reseed. Plus they feel that they are getting something for nothing, even though it's already in the price. :cool:

greenngrow
03-03-2003, 09:29 PM
Really need some advice on this guys.......

cklands
03-05-2003, 03:19 PM
I try to push the off until the fall. With the watering bands around here it is tough to get grass to grow. Plus I tell them that even if they do let you water for the spring, come late July and August the roots most likely won't be developed deep enough to make it through the drout and then we will have to seed all over again. I make sure that if they want us to seed in the spring that I will NOT guarantee the results.

J&R
03-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Here in Georgia the 2 times to resead is Fall&Fall

Lawn Tek
03-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Greengrow , I get the same question , were not that far away from each other . Spring comes and with all the T V commericals , get the consumer eager to plant everthing . What were doing this year is . yes we will seed it , but under stand that we'll get much better results if we do it in the fall .

johnhenry
03-05-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by paponte
I am in a different neck of the woods. But I do alot of seeding in the spring. No one wants to wait a whole season to have a green lawn. Trick that I have figured out, is that I include a fall reseed in my proposal. Everyone knows most of the time you will have spots that don't take. For the customer it seems like an insurance policy, they are guaranteed the seed will take. If not we will be back to reseed. Plus they feel that they are getting something for nothing, even though it's already in the price. :cool:

Pretty good advice.I overseed every spring.Core aerate then slit seed it in.equal seed to starter fertilzer.Sooner the better

65hoss
03-06-2003, 10:34 AM
I do a good bit of spring seeding. I always tell people that seeding in the spring means I will more than likely need to come back in the fall. They will lose some to the summer heat regardless. But they will get some establishment and they will not have a huge bare spot all year. They do like the fact your honest with them.

cglservice
03-08-2003, 09:10 PM
I have really good luck seeding in spring, prefer to do it in the spring, nowing that there will be rain, the fall is more unpredictible
for rain, tough thing about the spring for me is when a good day happens you have to go full out to get as much done as possible.

TaussigLawnCare
03-11-2003, 02:22 AM
I do spring seeding begining of march to mid april usually cause no one wants those bare spots all year but I tell them there is no garrentee for the spring seeding cause it is to risky but I garentee my fall seeding if they water it enough.

timturf
03-18-2003, 04:35 PM
Fall much better than spring!! If done in spring, start as so as possible, let client know it will need extra care thru summer, and he will still loose some of new seedlings. Tell client you will proably need to reseed in fall.
His choice, spring, fall, or both!