PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Installation implements

idugaholez
03-03-2003, 04:57 PM
I currently do landscape installations as far as trees, shrubs, walls and patios. But I feel I am missing out on work, because I do not install lawns. I recently decided to start putting them in. I am going to be ordering a new kubota B8700hsd very soon. I cannot afford to buy a bunch of implements this year, and am wondering what i can get by with this year. So far, I was just planning on getting a box scraper. Any suggestions?

morturf
03-04-2003, 11:42 AM
If it were me, I would get a Scarifier before a box scraper. I think you can do a better job if it is the only thing you are getting. A box scraper would be the second thing I get. But given the cost of a scarifier you my just want the scraper.
Mike

greenngrow
03-04-2003, 07:39 PM
A Good Tractor one that is in the 33 to 45 HP range. Hydro is preferred.
A power seeder or something comparable. This why you can overseed as well as establish lawns.
A straw blower
Tiller and box blade. Now after you get a 100 or so yards under your belt then you need a Harley power rake.
Then you will leave the tiller and box blade at home.

Countryside
03-05-2003, 12:34 PM
All of these members are right on what you need. Lawn installations is what I do in the landscape company I work for. To apply the seed a drop type spreader or a brillion type (power) would be optimal. The harley power rake is an awsome thing, Although it is very expensive it does a very good job. A skid steer mount model is actually prefered because you can go both directions with rake. A box scraper is an ok device but it takes practice to get the disired results. We use a drag-mat to scarify the ground up. They work very good also for pre=finish raking. As for the tractor you can get away with a smaller one to begin with but you really should get a larger one 35-45 HP. We use a 17HP B1700, and a 46HP L4610. Both are 4wd and have loaders and york rakes. The 4610 has the york rake with both the scarafier and the grading blade. This actually works fairly well for lawn installations for rough grading. Hope this helps you a little.

Countryside Landscape Services
Landscape contractor
Williamstown, MA.
13years in business

W5512
03-16-2003, 12:42 PM
I have learned getting the right equipment the first time around is about the only way to go. Cash flow and budget are limits but I have tried the skimp to get started routine. With the right equipment you do it right on the first jobs, do it faster so you can get more work but most important establish your reputation in the business. The reputation leads to more work.

Lot of good financing deals out there. Low interest or no interest. Deere will allow adding scarfer and seeder to a tractor /loader finance contract. Maybe other finance companies will also. Get it right the first time if you can swing it.

lx665
03-16-2003, 12:56 PM
The Harley Rake is an excellent choice for doing prep work. I have one I use on a skid steer and I'm very happy with it. It will save you time and pay for it's self.

John

rkk95
03-16-2003, 10:12 PM
there is a piece of equipment made by AGI it is called a pre-seeder it makes the Harley power rake look like a childs toy, you'll need at least 40 hp.

Shack
03-16-2003, 10:45 PM
I like the TR3 it does eveything in one pass.

paul
03-17-2003, 12:19 AM
The TR3 can't windrow rocks or junk, nor can it pile all of it in one place. It's a good implement but it's not taking the world by storm. A power box rake now are being made by Landpride, Harley, and a couple of other manufactures.

SWR11
03-18-2003, 10:12 AM
Hey guys

From everyone I talk to the harley is the way to go. Gotta spend a little to make some:D

Do anyone know if you can change the drum on harley's old rake to the new carbon teeth drum.

Does the old harley work just as well?

Thanks again

Bill Renda
03-18-2003, 08:19 PM
I have a Landpride power rake with spiral bars around the drum instead of teeth like a harley. I like the clean job and nice finish it leaves. Me and another landscape Co. tried a harley for a day right next to my landpride and hands down the Landpride did a much cleaner job and left a hand raked finish. Not saying the harley doesnt have its place but for me installing a new lawn for a builder I'll stick with the Landpride. Something I forgot to note; The other landscaping Co. ran harleys bar roller drum instead of its toothed one and it did a job comparable to my Landpride.

DaddyRabbit
03-18-2003, 10:17 PM
What everyone in here has forgotten about is remote outlets for your tractor. If you're buying a 'Bota then get set for a shocking experience when it comes "Bill time". The one for my 'Bota L-4610 was $800 just for the parts. You'll need this to run your Harley Rake if you want the hydraulic pivioting action as opposed to manual, (which sucks). I think you'll find you'll get much better results w/your lawn if you use a cultivator before using the Harley. I find it leaves me w/a much better result as well as it's easier on the Harley. If you're going to be doing yards a must in my opinion is a 3 point quick connect, I.e, Jiffy Hitch. Before I got this I despised changing out muddy implements, (And yes, it's always in the mud it seems) and now it takes me under 30 seconds on most. Listen to what the guys said about the good financing rate plans being offered today. They are so low to nothing it's better to use their $ than your own.

paul
03-19-2003, 11:52 AM
Rock Hounds, Preperators, and Power box rakes all have their place. You have to look at what you need, and what you want to do.

idugaholez
03-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Thanks guys,

From what everybody is saying, and after talking with my tractor dealer today, it doesn't sound like any other option then a Harley Rake is worth it. My dealer did say they also have a different brand(they sell both), i forgot the name, that is the same thing, but a little less expensive. Looks like i'll be ordering one with my Kubota..

doug

DaddyRabbit
03-24-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by idugaholez
Thanks guys,

From what everybody is saying, and after talking with my tractor dealer today, it doesn't sound like any other option then a Harley Rake is worth it. My dealer did say they also have a different brand(they sell both), i forgot the name, that is the same thing, but a little less expensive. Looks like i'll be ordering one with my Kubota..

doug

Beware anything made by Pirannah or an older Landpride unit. If I were you I'd stick w/the Harley.

Mike Bradbury
03-25-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by morturf
If it were me, I would get a Scarifier before a box scraper. I think you can do a better job if it is the only thing you are getting. A box scraper would be the second thing I get. But given the cost of a scarifier you my just want the scraper.
Mike

My Woods box blade has removable scarifier teeth, don't they all?

Mike Bradbury
03-25-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by rkk95
there is a piece of equipment made by AGI it is called a pre-seeder it makes the Harley power rake look like a childs toy, you'll need at least 40 hp.

Got a link?

Mike Bradbury
03-25-2003, 01:34 AM
FWIW

dylan
06-01-2003, 08:06 PM
check out the lawn renovator in the link below

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=46686

dylan
06-01-2003, 08:11 PM
link to ati preseeder

http://www.abcgroff.com/ic/ati.htm

Mike Bradbury
07-07-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Shack
I like the TR3 it does eveything in one pass.

I got their video. Looks interesting but it doesn't look like you can hold/move very much dirt at a time with the scraper??? My Woods 72" box holds a huge amount more and is frequently full.
Don't you still need a box to start??

yacht
10-21-2003, 05:00 PM
You're original post said B8700HSD did you mean B7800HSD? If so which harley rake (or equivalent) is your dealer recommending you put on your B7800? My dealer said to becareful of the smaller compacts with a harley rake cuz they're hard on the PTO. Said they had a small compact with an internal PTO failure from a harley rake. Just curious what your dealer is recommending because I would like to get one...looking at landpride right now.

JTHutch
11-17-2003, 11:31 PM
I was wandering what is the smallest tractor you can use a harley or any of the products suggested her? I'm looking at getting a tractor at an auction but it's only 18hp is there a product that can be run with that small of a tractor?

Mike Bradbury
11-18-2003, 12:06 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JTHutch
I was wandering what is the smallest tractor you can use a harley or any of the products suggested her? I'm looking at getting a tractor at an auction but it's only 18hp is there a product that can be run with that small of a tractor? [/QUOTE

A pulverizer would be ok.

UNISCAPER
11-18-2003, 01:03 AM
The only two tractors I would consider would be a Ford 545D, or the New Holland equivelant, or a Fermec both 4x4. You can always throttle back a 75HP tractor, but when you need the power and it is not there, you are screwed. At this time, Caterpillar does not make a tractor with a rear PTO, or I would buy that.

If you are in the midwest, you can get by very well by using a leveling bar and a Super Gill to pulverize dirt. Both could be had for under $2,500.00. Box scrapers are good, just not exactly what works the best for lawns.

Burger
05-13-2004, 02:49 AM
Anyone played with the Gill Super Turf Renovator?