PDA

View Full Version : Florida Lawn care solo pro's please?

molivares
03-04-2003, 06:59 PM
I'd like to know from the florida solo pro's what there customer base is like and an estimate of what they earn per year ?.

I'm doing some research and could use the info thank you.

Turf Technologies
03-04-2003, 07:34 PM
Old Cheap asses!

molivares
03-04-2003, 07:44 PM
I'm just starting out in the business and researching for my business plan. I don't need an exact number just something to work with. It seems a lot of people are doing this part time and I canít get the yearly income figures right for my BP. Any help would be appreciated.

cajuncutter
03-04-2003, 07:47 PM
You didn't really think those old farts retired down there with their nest eggs to just give it away now did ya:D

Firefighter Dave
03-04-2003, 08:31 PM
My parents retired to a very nice modular home park. They pay 20 bucks a month for lawn care... <grin> they are also on an honor system, they drop an envelope in the LCO's truck window. I thaught you might get a kick out of that.

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

LANDGUARD
03-04-2003, 09:41 PM
molivares

Unless you are in some richy rich neighborhoods, you can expect small residential yards 25 feet from the road, same for the backyards, with 6 feet on each side of the house. There are about seven LCO's that you will pass on the way between accounts. This makes the lawns prices cheap with all the competition (60-100 monthly). The average single operator doing residentials will do about 45 accounts a week. Lots of growth so come on down.

P.S. The retired folks are not too bad as long as they are not one of those retirement communities.

molivares
03-04-2003, 09:50 PM
LANDGUARD:

Thank you very much. What would be concidered a rich area. I'm looking into the Disney Area. I checked the Yellow pages and there where over 100 lawn care business in the county. So I'm trying to get an Idea and profit margins and your info is very helpful please keep it coming Thank you. Any info would help me greatly.

molivares
03-04-2003, 09:56 PM
One question for LANDGUARD if a lawn care provider is doing 45 accounts a week and your charging 60-100 monthly. I'm assuming he would have to cut weekly then thats 2700 - 4500 monthly that doesn't seem like a good living.

LANDGUARD
03-04-2003, 10:17 PM
Thats why I don't do residentials.

djsmokin
03-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Head to Fort Lauderdale, Miami for the really big bucks and the 12 month growing season.

spat
03-05-2003, 02:36 AM
Be ready to fight for accounts on this side of town. Its like a swarm of locusts with trimmer traps on thier backs. If I circle back to the lawns I have just completed I see door hangers...10 min later!

But come on over and bid the $1 a min rule. It works for me, I steal accounts every day with a $20 a month higher price...the key is to be professional. I would look in to the east side by the airport "lots of new subdivisons" . Good luck!

brucec32
03-05-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by molivares
One question for LANDGUARD if a lawn care provider is doing 45 accounts a week and your charging 60-100 monthly. I'm assuming he would have to cut weekly then thats 2700 - 4500 monthly that doesn't seem like a good living.

4500/mo = $54000, or maybe $46,000 net. Toss in $4000 of non-mowing work (aerating, shrubs, etc) and you have fifty grand, and that ain't bad. Sounds like a decent living to me for mowing lawns solo. Especially when the cost of living there is so low and you're writing your truck off as a business expense and enjoying the other benefits of self employment. My wife has an MBA asset manager working for her at a big corporation who barely makes that.

molivares
03-05-2003, 10:45 AM
Bruce32 :

I stand corrected you are right 54,000 isn't a bad living at all. How long do you guys think it would take to complete 45 small to mid jobs?.

molivares
03-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Spat:

Thank you for this excellent information what seems to be the going rate for small to Mid lots in your area? Sorry for all the questions. But I do apperciate it very much.

spat
03-05-2003, 10:55 PM
We will use the Vistas at Hunters Creek as an example. Those go for 60 to 80. I do a few in there and I get 110 to kiss thier butt and do everything exept fert. But after all the chips fall I would make more on the 60 to 80 jobs.

molivares
03-06-2003, 12:38 AM
Spat: I replyed to your last post and thanks for the valuble information. I would be trying to earn at least 50,000 a year in lawns and another 25,000 a year doing pool & Spa service and repairs solo working 6days a week. Do you think this is a reachable goal in the Orlando area? . Thank you

ProMo
03-06-2003, 10:00 AM
shouldnt be a problem im over that working 4 days a week with 10 weeks off

brucec32
03-07-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by molivares
Spat: I replyed to your last post and thanks for the valuble information. I would be trying to earn at least 50,000 a year in lawns and another 25,000 a year doing pool & Spa service and repairs solo working 6days a week. Do you think this is a reachable goal in the Orlando area? . Thank you

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it rain a lot in Orlando? With lots of outdoor spas and pools, you'd need dry weather for that most of the time, and you shouldn't be mowing regularly in the rain either, so you might have a problem trying to squeeze 6 days of work in these fields. Also, it's considered bad form with some people to show up on a Sunday to mow their lawn, and Saturday's not much better. I'd count on an average of 4 full days available when you can mow.

That's a factor I've noticed about the biz....add it up on paper and you can make a lot of money....10 hours/day/6 days week/52 weeks/year. It's subtracting for the rain, the days off, the breakdowns, the winter, and other delays, that become important when figuring how much you can gross.

ProMo
03-07-2003, 09:03 AM
you can usually set your watch for the time it will rain down here once the lightning is gone i usually work in the rain if it gets real bad (2-3 days worth) i concentrate on the overfertilized lawns and skip the rest its in my contracts that I cant control the weather

brian gage
03-04-2006, 12:59 AM
i just posted im looking at a mow buss in fl 131 cust making 7400 gross should i belive that?

CutInEdge Lawn Care
03-04-2006, 09:51 AM
That's an average of $56 dollars per cust. sounds cheap. Looks like someone needs to do some upselling. I try to average at least $100/month min on all customers and hammer the one timers. Just my .02cents

justanotherlawnguy
03-04-2006, 11:40 AM
I'd like to know from the florida solo pro's what there customer base is like and an estimate of what they earn per year ?

I have a solid customer base of about 40 monthly customers and 12 pay per cuts. During the summer time, it will rise to about 75 total customers, which is the absolute most that I could do by myself.

As far as earnings, i make between $75-$165 per property, offering everything except fert/pest control. I also dont do any weeding.

There might be 100 LCO's in the phone book, which means there are 500 others that dont use the phone book.

Yes you will see LCO's on every corner, and people will give you S%^T about wanting to start a lawn business, but there is more then enough out there for everyone.

The biggest thing is marketing, how are you going to get your customers? why should they call you when there are 100 guys in the phone book?

And the biggest thing is being able to actually do all the work yourself. You need to be in really good physical shape. You know how hot/humid it gets during the summer right? Well imagine being outside busting your a$$ from 8 am til the sun goes down m-f sometimes saturday when it rains. It does truly take a special person to endure those conditions.

What good is it if you have 100 customers lined up, but by noon you are cashed. How are you going to keep up?

Not this year though, I am going to get me a lil Mexicano and double my load and bring in the monster bucks.

Oh the best part is I dont do squat from mid-Nov til March, so for 3.5 months I might work every 4 weeks. My customers know that I will not come unless the grass needs it. Some guys still cut grass twice a month even though it does not need it, but my customers will have greener grass because I did not cut it.

Oh and that one guy you mentioned with the 140 accounts grossing $7400. I grossed that much in Jul-Sep with around half that many customers.

True Harbor
03-06-2006, 09:18 PM
I have a prospective client who gets basic service for 89 monthly. He isn't satisfied with his service because he doesn't offer anything else. How much more would you charge for fert/weeding/tree shaping. etc. The yard is in pretty bad shape as well so it needs to be restored. Thanks

justanotherlawnguy
03-06-2006, 11:13 PM
I dont even mess with fert. As you have probably noticed guys tend to do one or the other. Very few do both. People go thru fert guys faster than LCO's.
IF the yard is that bad, then it is probably something that I wouldnt even mess with, or if they want it re-sodded then probably like $1.25/sq ft for prep and new sod installed.

As far as tree shaping, we might trim some of the lower branches. In general we try to avoid tree work, unless it is palm trees.

True Harbor
03-06-2006, 11:27 PM
ok I understand so most guys dont do both because of the hassle? The yard is still salvageable. Theres a big tree in the middle of it so I believe thats causing part of the problem for the grass. The sprinkler heads need to be replaced they've been damaged/buried. It looks like the guy has been cutting it to short as well.

justanotherlawnguy
03-06-2006, 11:32 PM
the hassle and the legality of it. Try and get licensed for fert in FL it is a nightmare. Fert guys are a dime for 2 dozen, they are absolutely terrible. I truly believe that half of them just spray water on peoples yards.