PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chopper Vs. The new Exmark Lazer Z EPS

syzer
08-28-2000, 08:06 PM
Ok, sorry to beat a dead horse, but I'm 21 and making a purchase on a very expensive mower and just want to be sure i get what i want and am paying for. I have narrowed it down to these two tractors. I will be getting 60" deck. I have narrowed to these two cause these seem to be what i hear the most about. I love them both and it ws very hard for me to pick one. I know you guys have years and years with them so i leave it in the hands of the pros.

It seems that the DC is HUGE compared to the Exmark is this just the way the pictures look or what? MONSTER sheesh hehe. Beautiful machine though. What are the price are of these guys new roughly about 10k-12k? I want a piece of realiable good cutting speed demon (dont we all). Well thanks for the info. Please dont flame =) i'm a rookie. Thanks for all your help.

lawrence stone
08-28-2000, 08:09 PM
Buy a 60" hdyro eXmark walkbehind with a set of rocket wheels.

syzer
08-28-2000, 08:12 PM
Rocket Wheels?

bob
08-28-2000, 08:27 PM
Rocket Wheels are a two wheeled sulky. Their built like a brick out-house. They recently re-designed it and it's now called Bull Rider. I belive their made by Trimmer Trap.

John DiMartino
08-28-2000, 08:35 PM
I bought a new Dixie Chopper XW2500 in april,it listed for 10,100 and change,I got about 1100 off that price,but now no one has any left,they are all sold out for the season,they have several Exmarks though,and they are all on sale and have a big discount.You can tgo wrong either way,can you dmoi them both?If you can,try them and see which one you like better,holds a hill better,which has smoother hydraulics Etc.Most importantly,find some thick grass and let it rip,then you'll know which one you want.

TJLC
08-28-2000, 08:58 PM
I recently bought a bullrider for my 48" hydro. It is built very solid, I agree. I also agree with stone. Buy a hydro w/b.

[Edited by TJLC on 08-29-2000 at 01:01 AM]

Eric ELM
08-28-2000, 09:12 PM
Everyone here knows what my opinion of these 2 is. :)

Chip
08-28-2000, 09:14 PM
I'm in the same postition as yourself, looking to purchase new equipment for next year. Visited my local dealer this past weekend and spoke with there senior mechanic, also a family friend. He recommended the Toro Z or the Gravely. Seems as though every time I walk into the back shop they have a dixie chopper up on the lift. He also added that Gravely redisgned there decks and they have sold out of them. Next chance I get I will demo each unit. In case you did not know exmark is owned by Toro.

Evan528
08-28-2000, 09:24 PM
i bought my machine z master from lightkeps! Best dealer in the world! They tried to sell me on a gravely rider but it didnt compare to the z master!

syzer
08-28-2000, 09:35 PM
Why would some of you guys recommend hydro walk behinds? Not downing them, I just dont know why, please explain.

sunrise
08-28-2000, 10:33 PM
both are good machines its up to you how muck you want to send, what dealer will service you the best after thr sale?

yardsmith
08-29-2000, 12:33 AM
walk behinds are a little slower, but that doesn't matter in smaller prop's. (2/3 acre or less).
The big plus is that you can practically buy 2 WB's for the price of one ZTR.
If you have or want bigger prop's, than maybe look for a GOOD used ZTR, or a demo, which will save you up to a few grand.
I demo-ed the gravely ZTR's & hated them. Bobcat got my vote & $$.

Acute Cut
08-29-2000, 01:19 AM
IF you have mostly residential then i would get the WB too. Hey wait! I DID! I will be upgrading to the Lazer next spring, but that is because i now have 2 and 3 acre properties to do as well.

The WB is more maneuverable and easier on the check book as someone else already stated. I know that they are not as fast, but you wont be able to tell to much of a difference on small residentials though. Try one out.

As for the rocket wheels, i dont know. I had the velke (one wheel center mount) and hated it. It ruined my wonderful striping. I bought a set of the Jungle Jims and did like them. I am somewhat disappointed that it does NOT match up exactly with my wheels on the 52" WB which i thought it origanally would. It does match up with the 36" WB though.

Question: WIll you be bagging? If so then check into the baggers of the different mowers too. It may make a difference. Hope i helped.

Acute CUt

bdemir
08-29-2000, 02:08 AM
Just want to say that jungle wheels and walkbehinds are great but if you are going to cut all day every day then a rider is a better choice. I agree wakbehinds are less money but having your only mower be a rider is the chooice i would go with first. I have two dixies and a few walkbehinds and after a few 15 hour days ill choose the rider over the hydro 60" with the wheels because of comfort. The walkbehind will wear out a knee kap on rough ground but if the jobs are small then go with what is needed. A hydro walkbehind does get small jobs done faster though i must admit.

Acute Cut
08-29-2000, 04:12 AM
bdemir:
ABSOLUTLY! I agree totally. If i had a choice, then i would wanna sit on my ass all day too. BUT, with residentials it is hard to get anywhere. Now, where eric is i guess it is ok. His residentials are acres big and the President of the US likes his lawns to look nice. (JK) Comfort vs necessity. THAT is the question i guess i should ask before blurting my opinion.

Acute Cut

Chip
08-29-2000, 06:07 AM
Evan528
I agree Lightkep's are the best dealer around. Can't beat the service I have been dealing with them for 12 years.

RollerGoalieBoy
08-29-2000, 12:23 PM
You might want to check into a stander mower if you want a walkbehind that is the closest rider to the walkbehind and has great manuvering.

scottlawns
08-29-2000, 05:57 PM
why would anyone want a walk behind when you can stand on a greatdane surfer,and go anywear,they are priced well and i can easily do 15 yards aday(at a $35.00 averge per yard)and still be home at 2:00.in MN most guys use greatdane surfers or lazer Z....i use my walkbehind about 15minutes aweek,so all i can say is demo all ofthem and find one you feel good on.

scottlawns