PDA

View Full Version : planting grass on a slope

turfman59
03-05-2003, 06:35 AM
I have a customer that wants more grass on a very aggressive slope. the slope is just enough that you can traverse it parallel with a tractor mower but not a Z.

These are the overall specs of the area.

Approx 2800 sq ft
silt to clay soil
filtered sunlight from shade trees
very compact soil and shady

I am thinking about areating the slope and then adding screened topsoil by hand, then seeding and then rolling out one of those straw woven mats and then pinning the mat per manufacturers specs. Can anyone see any problems with this ? or is there a better way ? Thanks in advance for your response

KerryB
03-05-2003, 08:10 AM
Might be easier to sub it out to someone who hydroseeds.
Let them do all the work and you still make some money without all that backbreaking work.

turfman59
03-05-2003, 10:10 AM
I have hydroseeded before, I did not think the hydroseed would hold as well on this aggressive of a slope, I think tackifier has its limits on slopes. I am seeing MDOT using the woven straw mats on pretty aggressive slopes this last year with good success.

KerryB
03-05-2003, 10:21 AM
What about sod?

turfman59
03-05-2003, 11:33 AM
I dont think sod is an option because lack of irrigation and its a summer home with residents not there all the time.

morturf
03-05-2003, 02:04 PM
Without irrigation to start the slope I think you are doomed. Try to convince the client that they need to get the grass started and growing before leaving it to nature. 2800sq ft is not a large area, one sprinkler at the end of a hose would cover it easily. You mentioned that the area is shaded a little that helps a lot. Water it once a day in the evening to get it to start. Charge them if you have to do it but it will make you look a whole lot better. As far as the matting goes, 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other. Get the grass up fast and it will hold the hill. Good luck.
mike

NCSULandscaper
03-05-2003, 06:54 PM
I would try to talk the customer into planting junipers on the hillside. Easier to plant and to maintain.

Comet
03-06-2003, 10:39 AM
I agree with the Junipers, you can also (if their budget allows it) incorporate a nice design into it, rock garden feature.
Junipers are hardy, dont take much water

I was going to suggest sod yesterday, but now I see the lack of water
Be creative :)

paul
03-06-2003, 09:55 PM
I think you answered your own question, compacted soil, poor light conditions. If you fixed both problems your grass would improve. As to not able to hydroseed I don't think thats right there are many new mulches that will work on slopes grater than what you talk about. check in to some that have been talked about here. Do a search on bonded fiber matrix it should help.