PDA

View Full Version : need some advice

kirbyap
03-05-2003, 03:32 PM
me and friend this summer are going to combine and start our own business. ive been mowing since i was little and i am 16 now. ive had my own little business going for roughly 3 summers and it wasnt working too well, so i decided that maybe if i had a partner we could do more and make more money. i was wondering if anyone had any tips on advertising. ive put a ad in a local school directory that has 900 kids but have got no calls yet, i guess its still too early. i was also just wondering for any advice or tips from professionals or non-professionals with good advice in general that can help get us started and get alot of yards, we'd like to have around 20. im going to continue reading this website for advice and such, but if have any direct advice for me and my friend please email me at kirbyap@yahoo.com or just post it.

Reed and Tyler
Lone Star Lawns

Mykster
03-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Get some flyers or some nice door hangers and hand them out. As many as you can. Good thing about these are you can target the areas you want to do business in.

Does the school directory go out to homeowners like a paper? Or is it a publication within the school?

Good luck.

Heller Landscaping
03-06-2003, 06:55 PM
Get some business cards, flyers, door hangers and target the areas you want to work in. If you are diligent you should be able to get 20 customers within two months. I know it sounds easier said than done ,but it can be done. Btw what kind of equipment do you have or plan on getting? Also did you get your states business license and general liability insurance?

kirbyap
03-06-2003, 07:20 PM
well my equiptment is the following:
1999 Chevy Silverado Z71
John Deere 14PZ 5.0 HP 21' push mower
John Deere 14SB 5.0 HP 21' self perpelled
Stihl FS 80 weedeater
McCulloch Blower
i think Bridges and Straton (sp) walk behind edger

thats all my equiptment i havent noticed what tyler has but i mean he has mower, edger, weedater, and blower.

for right now we jsut use the truck for our stuff to haul around but that was just when i as doin it so we plan on getting a trailer here i nthe future.

we are doing it only on the weekends right now but will do it all week long during the summer

Reed and Tyler
Lone Star Lawns

kirbyap
03-06-2003, 07:23 PM
the directory ad has already been printed on a page in the book and will be seen by parents. the parents go look in the directory for ads and stuff and then it has the numbers for all the students as well. so people should be seeing it.

Reed and Tyler
Lone Star Lawns

Heller Landscaping
03-06-2003, 11:19 PM
I think advertising in school book is good but remember the parents are probably having the kids themselves mow their own grass. Btw why are limiting yourself to twenty lawns; go for as many as you can. Other than the truck you really should get your equipment in order, and if possible upgrade to a w\b, b\p blower and commercial line trimmer. Hope this helps. Are you making payments on that truck? If so you try to clear them up asap to free up your overhead.

cvzimm2
03-07-2003, 12:00 AM
I love to see people get excited about an idea!
You are off to the right start. First off, check your local codes in regards to being under 18. Here in Ohio you have to get a work permit (taxes?). Have your parents check with their insurance company on liability (see if it falls under anything they already have, kinda doughtful).
Sound scary? Not really, One afternoon and you know exactly where you stand legally.
As far as advertising goes, back your school ad up with some good old handshaking. You know what you're target market is (the parents),so clean your truck up real nice (not saying it's dirty) and introduce yourself to them. Plan what you want to say ahead of time,although it usually doesn't go that way.
I can tell you, you will be surprised. A lot of parents wish their own kids would mow their lawn (and earn money to boot) but they don't have the desire.
Good luck to you!

kirbyap
03-07-2003, 12:34 AM
o we will go for as many as we can but 20-25 is our goal, and if more roll in then well have to make due. :)

Other than the truck you really should get your equipment in order, and if possible upgrade to a w\b, b\p blower and commercial line trimmer.

could u explain more in detail what meant be all this. w/b, b/p?

thanks for the advice so far, its been all good

Heller Landscaping
03-07-2003, 12:51 AM
Sorry for the confusion w\b stands for a commercial walk behind mower usually 36" or bigger. A b\p is a back pack blower.:) Hope I am being a help.

kirbyap
03-07-2003, 11:27 AM
thanks for all the help so far

how much do u think a commerical walk behind 36" mower would cost. what is a good brand that will last forever and do an awesome job with cutting the grass? same thing for a back pack blower?

hboyd_com
03-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Echo and Stihl both make good backpack blowers. As far as walk behinds, do a search on this site for W/B's to get a feel for them. Depending on the size, you can get a good used W/B from a dealer for $1200 or so..... maybe less... maybe more. Everyone has an opinion as to which brand to get....

I suggest you see what you local dealer will support as he will be crucial to the success of your business if you experience any problems with the mower.

mklawnman
03-11-2003, 11:35 AM
Hey I'm 19 right now and this is my 4th summer now and finally got my name LLC. What you should be looking into is insurance first, to make sure your covered. Secondly see if you can get some commercial equipment, from your equipment list it looks like you can only take on small city lots that dont make alot of money unless you also advertise for other services as well. Look into a 36" WB, either a belt driven or a hydro if possible, check out your local dealer on that for brands; Scag, JD, Exmark, Toro etc. You will then definatly need to get a trailer if you get a WB. Also with your handheld stuff look into getting some commercial grade stuff, it will start to show by mid-summer on how beat the equipment is and how much repair you will be doing.
As far as partnerships go, just becareful, especially if its your best friend, I've read things on here that those things end up turning ugly after awhile cause one person doesnt hold up their end of the deal, then you become not so great friends anymore.
Alot of things to consider when going into business, along with taxes, expenses, and future plans.
Good Luck and do alot of searching on this site.
Matt

lawnguyz2k3
01-21-2004, 05:21 PM
walk around and hand out flyers around the middle of april .*NOTE* for every 100 flyers you might get 1 call

DAZED AND CONFUSED
01-21-2004, 08:10 PM
kirby i know getting a permit and insurance sounds like a lot of money but it reall isnt for example in my town a permit to operate a business from home only cost 10 dollars and as far as insurance a 300,000 dollar policy should be sufficent average cost should be around 90 dollars a month good luck

Daveffemt
01-27-2004, 12:30 AM
Kirbyap, I got a $300.000 insurance policy for $432.00 a 12 mo. period. It was thru my car insurance.