PDA

View Full Version : Customers requiring grass catcher

tilley
08-28-2000, 11:17 PM
What's the percentage of your customers that ask for the grass clippings to be picked up? Checking to see if paying the extra for a collection system is money well spent.

sunrise
08-28-2000, 11:22 PM
Maybe 1% of our customers ask for this then only everyother time.
collection unit maybe good in fall for leaves?

bob
08-28-2000, 11:40 PM
I don't bag grass! When I leave a lawn I'm 100% done. I will bag leaves, providing there is an on-site place to dump them. If you cut weekly, chances are you won't have to bag.

yardsmith
08-29-2000, 12:58 AM
We get a few occaisionally that ask about bagging; I tell them we keep on top of things so you don't have to bag. Only time we bag is in then fall, or in summer when rain holds us up, & we can't get to it in time. Even then we usually just double cut.
If a new customer demands bagging, you better believe the price is gonna reflect it. If not then too bad see ya. "I have others waiting in line......"

gusbuster
08-29-2000, 02:21 AM
Yardsmith,& others:
I can see the reason people like yourself and other refuse to bag when possible. My work area, very few people don't bag. Clients just expect it here in the San Francisco Area. Myself, I see the light now.:D This last month I have been mulching whenever possible. Gotta see how messey it's going to be during our wet season. The only time I'm going to bag is the fall leaf dropings and long wet grass.:eek:
John

Lawnworks
08-29-2000, 08:59 AM
0%
all mulch and discharge

LawnWorks

DBALLARD
08-29-2000, 09:15 AM
I don't bag. Grass is 75% water and 25% fert , and I let the customer know that.

Ground Rules
08-29-2000, 09:18 AM
I bag everything. No clippings left on the lawn. Guess I do it wrong based on others that responded.

lawrence stone
08-29-2000, 09:37 AM
Gus with small metro accounts you would be best served to
only mulch when conditions allow.

I think it will take more time to clean the dukey off the
sidewalks than it would to bag a small lawn.

Guido
08-29-2000, 01:45 PM
Stones right, sometimes on smaller accounts, its just easier to bag, especially if you don't have a mulching plate or deck. If theres not a lot of room, it takes longer to worry about where your discharge chute is shooting into now! Bigger lots that allow it, and you can keep up on them are more easily discharged.

I guess if your contimplating buying one, it depends on your territory. If you can use it for fall cleanup, than go for it, if the customers will pay more for bagging weekly, go for it! As long as there is a market for it, it'll work.

Good Luck!

Twotoros
08-29-2000, 04:38 PM
I live in a bag kind of town . However I mulch . If most of my customers knew this they would look elsewhere for services. If it gets too messy I bag . What the customer doesn't know is good for the grass.

Firebrand
08-29-2000, 05:06 PM
I too live in a bagging area. Maybe it's Washington state or something. I mulch when it looks good when I'm done, I am not willing to go over it twice. Some of my customers have their lawns fertilized so heavy I can't help but bag it. I can't get away with mulching on some lawns. I tried once but the lady ran out and demanded that I bag it. Also I can't seem to get very good results with my 36" walk behind using the mulch plate. I have a better time with just side discharging it. I'm praying for cold wet rain.

Toddppm
08-29-2000, 08:01 PM
If they still want it bagged after i give them my speech about the benefits of mulching,etc.. I tell them to find somone else. We've had one of the wettest years here that i can remember and i have mulched all year. haven't used my bagger since the first spring i started , man that sucked!!I'll never do it again, don't see how you'all can deal with that.

TGCummings
08-29-2000, 08:16 PM
I bag maybe 1% now. Years ago, I bagged and hauled off for all customers, but I switched to mulching with a 21" Toro Recycler a couple years back. Late last year/early this year I started bagging again for any customers that would provide means of disposal.

Now, I am mulching for almost everyone again with my 36" Exmark Turf Tracer with mulch plate and "micro-mulch" system. The benefits to the lawn are my primary selling point for this. My secondary selling point is that I'll have to raise rates to pull out the 21". ;)

I live in Gus' backyard and just about everyone around here is bagging everything, just like in SF. However, I am trying to instruct...

-TGC

MOW ED
08-30-2000, 09:24 AM
I have a Walker but I only bag 7 of 24 accounts. The ones I bag either have pools or have small lawns so I don't have much to haul. They pay extra +1.00 per 1000 sqft over the base rate for that lawn.
One guy lets me dump in the back of his property so he gets a little break. I would love to not bag but I am making money on it and I have the machine to do it.
Its best use is spring thatch and fall leaf cleans.

eslawns
08-30-2000, 05:20 PM
Here's my 2 cents. I use a catcher if there's somewhere on-site to dump the grass. (Contractors in our area are not allowed to put clippings out for pickup by the city) I also charge extra for this. Otherwise it's just for vacuuming leaves. I did not start my own business to have someone else tell me how it would be run. I realize this is a service industry, but too many guys charge the same thing to bag as I do to discharge. More time + more work for the same $$ = less profit. If they want the service, let them pay for it. Otherwise, no thanks.

BTW, every time I mulch, I end up with lots of clumping, so I just discharge. I use Gators so they don't throw as far and the clippings are chopped finer. If the grass is really heavy, I may go over it twice, or just rake the windrows. If there is a pool with grass closer to it than 10 feet, I bag around the pool and factor this cost into the price.

cutntrim
08-30-2000, 10:37 PM
We side-discharge everything. Double-blades on our WB's and single gators on our Zee. A lot of companies bag around here but it's a lot of extra work and less beneficial for the turf.