PDA

View Full Version : Trucks

shark1611
10-07-2013, 08:51 PM
What are you finding more dependable? All my trucks are 3/4 ton and drive within a 45 mile radius.

Gas
Diesel
Ford
Chev.
Dodge

Sprinkler Buddy
10-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Diesel is my opinion.

Vecchio Lawn Care
10-07-2013, 09:14 PM
I find Chevy vortec engines are great also the duramax' engines. Seems like most fords are blowing turbos or transmissions. Just my opinion.my family owns both

TJW_692
10-07-2013, 09:28 PM
love my Chevy S10 4.3.

shark1611
10-07-2013, 09:34 PM
I find Chevy vortec engines are great also the duramax' engines. Seems like most fords are blowing turbos or transmissions. Just my opinion.my family owns both
Yep I paid $4,000.00 on my turbo repair!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
10-07-2013, 11:29 PM
Ford with the 6.0 dizzle. Can't beat the purchase price either!

BladeGunner
10-13-2013, 05:37 PM
My work truck is a 1990 Chevy K2500 RCLB with a 350 engine.

My other truck is a 1998 Chevy 1500 ECSB with Vortec engine.
Posted via Mobile Device

baileylawnservice
10-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Anything but a 6.0 powerstroke or a 6.4 powerstroke

CuttingEdgeLandscapes
10-13-2013, 08:07 PM
We run a 6.0 powerstroke and a duramax. Definaty prefer the duramax getting 24mpg pulling a 20' trailer
Posted via Mobile Device

bp lawn
10-13-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm a ford guy, but let's face it. Most trucks made today well last a long time. Take care of them and don't over load them. The only reason I like ford more is they seem to have the suspension to handle more weight.
Posted via Mobile Device

BladeGunner
10-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Just don't get a Honda Ridgeline,LOL.
Posted via Mobile Device

jbell36
10-13-2013, 10:01 PM
man, i hate to be on the negative side here but there simply is NO diesel out there getting 24 MPG pulling a trailer...MAYBE a 12 valve cummins going down hill...stop looking at the dash readout and hand calculate it...my dash says 18, i'm actually getting 13.5

and what's wrong with the 6.4? i have 126,000 on mine and the only two things i have had to replace is the radiator and alternator...i'll definitely take that, they are eventually going to have something wrong with them at some point, no matter what make or model

i also have tuned my truck with the spartan tuner, 275 tune...one of the fastest diesels i have ever been in, most potential out of any stock diesels on the road to tune

i'm partial to fords by far, but my company owns all three...i like GM the least, but that's mainly because of comfort and looks...however, i would say they could possibly be the best built with fewest problems, diesel or gas, GM has the best track record...i just hate to spend 35k on a truck that doesn't look as good as a ford and doesn't have the interior the ford does

we have dodges too, great cummins engines wrapped in a terrible truck...rust is terrible on the dodges and the interiors just fall apart

our most recent purchase is a GMC TopKick...having a bed built for it right now so can't say how reliable it is, but i'm optimistic given their track record...can't wait to use it

jbell36
10-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Ford with the 6.0 dizzle. Can't beat the purchase price either!

ha, yeah the purchase price on a 6.0 is awesome...unfortunately there is a reason for that...have you had good look with the 6.0('s)? have you bulletproofed the engine? some have really good luck with the 6.0, some don't...ironically i just talked to a guy the other day who swears by them and would buy another in a heartbeat

CuttingEdgeLandscapes
10-14-2013, 01:49 AM
man, i hate to be on the negative side here but there simply is NO diesel out there getting 24 MPG pulling a trailer...MAYBE a 12 valve cummins going down hill...stop looking at the dash readout and hand calculate it...my dash says 18, i'm actually getting 13.5

and what's wrong with the 6.4? i have 126,000 on mine and the only two things i have had to replace is the radiator and alternator...i'll definitely take that, they are eventually going to have something wrong with them at some point, no matter what make or model

i also have tuned my truck with the spartan tuner, 275 tune...one of the fastest diesels i have ever been in, most potential out of any stock diesels on the road to tune

i'm partial to fords by far, but my company owns all three...i like GM the least, but that's mainly because of comfort and looks...however, i would say they could possibly be the best built with fewest problems, diesel or gas, GM has the best track record...i just hate to spend 35k on a truck that doesn't look as good as a ford and doesn't have the interior the ford does

we have dodges too, great cummins engines wrapped in a terrible truck...rust is terrible on the dodges and the interiors just fall apart

our most recent purchase is a GMC TopKick...having a bed built for it right now so can't say how reliable it is, but i'm optimistic given their track record...can't wait to use it

That is a hand calculation. I never go off the dash readout. With EFI LIVE and the other mods done to it. I have no trouble averaging that mileage. And as far as quickness I blow the doors off vettes and mustangs daily.
Posted via Mobile Device

baileylawnservice
10-14-2013, 09:27 AM
The 6.4 is fine if you can handle the poor fuel mileage while it is in regen mode. Or when it gets stuck in regen mode and shreds the engine.

LewisLawn
10-14-2013, 01:23 PM
dodge hemi crew cab short bed avg near 20 w/trailer.

jbell36
10-14-2013, 08:02 PM
That is a hand calculation. I never go off the dash readout. With EFI LIVE and the other mods done to it. I have no trouble averaging that mileage. And as far as quickness I blow the doors off vettes and mustangs daily.
Posted via Mobile Device

24 is impressive, but i would have to see it to believe it...i know my 6.4 will never get anywhere close to that, unfortunately, even tuned...before the tuner i was getting 11.5

what year and engine is your duramax?

CuttingEdgeLandscapes
10-14-2013, 08:11 PM
24 is impressive, but i would have to see it to believe it...i know my 6.4 will never get anywhere close to that, unfortunately, even tuned...before the tuner i was getting 11.5

It's an '01. The LB7. It's for sale on here. But I hate to get rid of it with everything that's done to it
Posted via Mobile Device

Tizzy
10-14-2013, 11:58 PM

your 6.4 can get that. mine can. do a cold air intake, and egr/dpf delete. and buy a tuner that has emissions control and turn off regen. it will give you around 10mpg better.

It has nearly doubled my fuel mileage since I did that and it has a ton more power.

jackal
10-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Me thinks you guys are exaggerating a little.

gcbailey
10-15-2013, 08:55 AM
We have 2 Chevy 1 ton duallys, and 8L and a duramax... I like them both, but pulling a full load the gas gets about 7.4mpg... Ugh. I know a guy with a '11 Dodge Cummins 6spd pulling a 35' goose neck (he owns a Pepridge Farm route) and on the WV/VA hills he's getting between 19-23 mpg, stock.

JContracting
10-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

dodge hemi crew cab short bed avg near 20 w/trailer.

All lies.
There is no truck that will get near 20 mpg when pulling.

I never can quite understand why people try to brag how good of mileage they get with their trucks when most of the time they're talking out of their a$$.

We have 2 Chevy 1 ton duallys, and 8L and a duramax... I like them both, but pulling a full load the gas gets about 7.4mpg... Ugh. I know a guy with a '11 Dodge Cummins 6spd pulling a 35' goose neck (he owns a Pepridge Farm route) and on the WV/VA hills he's getting between 19-23 mpg, stock.

I have an 8.1 as well but not a dually, pulling my enclosed (all city driving), I get about 6.75 - 7.5 mpg depending on how windy it is.
The guy with the Cummins is lying, especially with a heavier trailer such as a gooseneck.

Ormond32176
10-15-2013, 01:43 PM
I beat the sh!t out of my Silverado on a regular basis with no issues. It's an 01 z71 4x4 with the 5.3l Vortec in it. I average 14 around town without pulling anything, and haven't done a hand calculation while towing, but I know I get crap mileage. The one downside is the 4spd transmission. Indestructible, but annoying. If I were to get anything else, it would be a Duramax, or possibly a 5.7 Tundra. My dad had an Excursion and it was a money pit (6.0 motor wasn't bad after doing all the mods, but the Ford was awful). I hate Rams. They fall apart, they rust, interiors are crap, and I can't stand the way they ride.

CuttingEdgeLandscapes
10-15-2013, 01:46 PM
I beat the sh!t out of my Silverado on a regular basis with no issues. It's an 01 z71 4x4 with the 5.3l Vortec in it. I average 14 around town without pulling anything, and haven't done a hand calculation while towing, but I know I get crap mileage. The one downside is the 4spd transmission. Indestructible, but annoying. If I were to get anything else, it would be a Duramax, or possibly a 5.7 Tundra. My dad had an Excursion and it was a money pit (6.0 motor wasn't bad after doing all the mods, but the Ford was awful). I hate Rams. They fall apart, they rust, interiors are crap, and I can't stand the way they ride.

I'll sell you a duramax
Posted via Mobile Device

CuttingEdgeLandscapes
10-15-2013, 01:53 PM
All lies.
There is no truck that will get near 20 mpg when pulling.

I never can quite understand why people try to brag how good of mileage they get with their trucks when most of the time they're talking out of their a$$.

I don't understand why people who have spent the money on their trucks to get great fuel mileage are called liars. It's not hard, delete the emissions and research the chip that is set to what you are looking for plus the other mods. I had the same torque as the 8.1 gas but double the power and now three times the torque. But didn't sacrifice the fuel economy to make it happen.

I have an 8.1 as well but not a dually, pulling my enclosed (all city driving), I get about 6.75 - 7.5 mpg depending on how windy it is.
The guy with the Cummins is lying, especially with a heavier trailer such as a gooseneck.
Posted via Mobile Device

RSK Property Maintenance
10-15-2013, 02:00 PM
you guys who think a truck can't get 20mpg or better towing are crazy, a duramax with a fuel economy efi live tune and 3.73 gears or 3.54 gears will get over 20mpg while towing a trailer, all day long. they get can get 25-26mpg with no trailer. also a cummins will get close to 20mpg towing a 5-6000lb trailer all day long. I've personally done it.... 21.5 to be exact over a 600 mile trip to nj towing a monte carlo on car trailer. I'm not sure if some of you guys realize this or not, BUT THE LESS THROTTLE YOU USE THE BETTER YOUR FUEL ECONOMY IS! so a truck with 420 rear wheel hp vs. the same truck stock with 275 rear wheel hp. the truck with 275hp is gonna have a try a lot harder to move 6000lbs even on flat ground and maintain 40 or 50mph therefor using more fuel vs. the truck that has a tuner in it, will use less fuel as long the driver is accelerating quickly....ALSO THE LOWER THE RPM ON THE HIGHWAY OR AT CRUISING SPEEDS THE BETTER FUEL ECONOMY YOU GET! tires will change a lot, I went from a highway tread 265/75/16 and was getting 18-20mpg combined towing a dual axle landscape trailer my first year and before winter i put a 285/75/16 mud terrain tire, wider and very aggressive tread and I dropped 3mpg, then my injectors got worse and im down at 12-14 mpg depending on how i drive it. and that's with an 80hp tuner. which helped my fuel economy by about 3mpg, but the injectors being worn out and not spraying fuel properly really screws things up.

RSK Property Maintenance
10-15-2013, 02:02 PM
also my truck is a ford 97 f350 7.3 and has been getting worked hard since new and overloaded for over a decade, but its been well maintained so at 286,000 it is still very reliable and I would not hesitate to buy another one with over 200,000 miles on it.

jbell36
10-15-2013, 07:17 PM
i'm just trying to be realistic...i was hoping my 6.4 would get close to 18 or so after i tuned it...and when i say i tuned it, i mean EGR delete, DPF delete, all new exhaust, and a cold air intake...i run it on the 275 tune which apparently is the best tune for fuel efficiency...the best MPG's i ever got was 16.3 doing about 80 on a 5 hour trip, so all highway...all city i get about 13.2-13.5...these are real world numbers, and i sunk well over 2k into it...i do remember the guy who helped me install it say he thought the down pipe has a leak in it, and i have 126k miles on it, so who knows how well the injectors are working, but no serious signs of anything going wrong, other than it's starting to smoke a little more than usual while driving casually, you used to not be able to see any smoke at all if you didn't want to, now it smokes at every acceleration...

baileylawnservice
10-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Well my 06 cummins with 3.73 gears and 33" tires gets around 15-16 pulling my 16' landscape trailer. Is heavier then most landscape trailers. Also it has a solid metal gate on the back so I catch a lot of wind. I doubt my trailer cold be pulled at highway speeds and get 20 mpg by any truck

CuttingEdgeLandscapes
10-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Well my 06 cummins with 3.73 gears and 33" tires gets around 15-16 pulling my 16' landscape trailer. Is heavier then most landscape trailers. Also it has a solid metal gate on the back so I catch a lot of wind. I doubt my trailer cold be pulled at highway speeds and get 20 mpg by any truck

How heavy in the trailer. Our 20' weighs 2900# empty and I get 24 pulling it. 3.73 gears and 33" tires
Posted via Mobile Device

RSK Property Maintenance
10-15-2013, 09:20 PM
i'm just trying to be realistic...i was hoping my 6.4 would get close to 18 or so after i tuned it...and when i say i tuned it, i mean EGR delete, DPF delete, all new exhaust, and a cold air intake...i run it on the 275 tune which apparently is the best tune for fuel efficiency...the best MPG's i ever got was 16.3 doing about 80 on a 5 hour trip, so all highway...all city i get about 13.2-13.5...these are real world numbers, and i sunk well over 2k into it...i do remember the guy who helped me install it say he thought the down pipe has a leak in it, and i have 126k miles on it, so who knows how well the injectors are working, but no serious signs of anything going wrong, other than it's starting to smoke a little more than usual while driving casually, you used to not be able to see any smoke at all if you didn't want to, now it smokes at every acceleration...

slow down to 65 mph and accelerate easier meaning use less throttle. I would bet you will crack 20mpg if not higher. slowing down is one of the easiest ways to get better fuel economy. my buddy has a 6.4 extended cab short bed with 3.73 gears and he just got back from a trip from ct to nc and got 26 mpg hand calculated. and consistently gets 25-26mpg in the 275 tune egr delete and dpf delete as well. he also bought his truck new and only has 45000 miles on it.

Kelly's Landscaping
10-15-2013, 09:41 PM
You have my opinion on what are the best trucks out there

CuttingEdgeLandscapes
10-15-2013, 09:44 PM

Nice trucks
Posted via Mobile Device

jbell36
10-15-2013, 09:56 PM
haha...while we are on the subjects of trucks, i literally just saw the new silverado commercial as we are talking about this, and the tag line was "nobody beats our trucks...and by nobody, i mean ford and dodge."...i'm not a chevy fan, but that was damn funny...no beating around the bush here

there is also another commercial out, not sure if it's GMC or chevy, but the bed rails have LED lights under them for bed lighting, more tie down spots, and a step on the bumper...this should have been done for years, for all trucks...the one thing i don't understand about my "super" duty is the fact that the bed has ONE tie down spot...i love ford but that's pathetic...it also squats the most out of all 5 trucks with a trailer hooked on, but that's another subject

JContracting
10-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Jbell, is yours pushing out white or black smoke?
Posted via Mobile Device

gcbailey
10-16-2013, 08:42 AM

But those are what, 4500/5500s? That's cheating! haha.

jbell36
10-17-2013, 06:49 AM
Jbell, is yours pushing out white or black smoke?
Posted via Mobile Device

it's a very faint smoke at acceleration, but it didn't used to be there...it's mostly black from what i can tell, especially if i try to make it smoke

Ormond32176
10-17-2013, 11:59 AM
it's a very faint smoke at acceleration, but it didn't used to be there...it's mostly black from what i can tell, especially if i try to make it smoke

I would replace the spark plugs

Valk
10-17-2013, 05:51 PM

Your comment deserves a smiley...or two...eh? :laugh:

jbell36
10-17-2013, 09:03 PM

i feel the sincerity in your comment...

Valk, where you at in Kansas?

THORNTON SERVICES LLC
10-17-2013, 10:23 PM
I have had chevy ford and dodge , first I like the chevy's for work trucks , I had an 88 2500 that close to 300,000 before the 350 went just small stuff , in 2011 I purchased 2 new chevy's a 3500 and a 2500 , so far I have been happy , they usually are towing a trailer or hooked up to a plow loaded down with salt. So my vote chevy for work trucks , Ford has some really nice trucks and I like the ride you get from a ford , and as far as dodge I have had the most trouble with them. Over all I buy chevy , not real fancy , the ride is not the best but they get the job done but lets face it the newer stuff is not built anything like the older stuff was so its hard to brag on any brand.

jbell36
10-19-2013, 11:12 PM
For what it's worth, I did an experiment tonight...took a 83.7 mile trip and used 3.837 gallons, coming out to 21.81 MPG...now my experiment was to go 59 MPH (which sucked in a 75 speed limit)...the boost was around 4 and the rpm's were 1500...filled up at a gas station on the outside of town, took the non stop highway all the way to my destination which was right off the highway, and back to the gas station, filled it up to the exact point, which is until I see the foam about to come out

For those who didn't read through, I have a 6.4 PowerStroke with a 275 spartan tuner, all emissions deleted...like I said earlier, doing 79 I got 16.3, and in town I get 13.5

REAL world numbers, hand calculated every single fill up
Posted via Mobile Device

gcbailey
10-20-2013, 08:17 AM
For those who didn't read through, I have a 6.4 PowerStroke with a 275 spartan tuner, all emissions deleted...like I said earlier, doing 79 I got 16.3, and in town I get 13.5

REAL world numbers, hand calculated every single fill up
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't like calculating mileage on just a few gallon fill up. I know on our Vortec, it's got 2x28 gal tanks. If I fill up anywhere under 20 gallons, it's always around 7~7.4 mpg. On those rare times that I do feel like wasting a bunch of money and almost filling up both tanks I've noticed the mileage will go up to over 9mpg. Basically what I'm saying, on our gasser the longer we go the "better" mpg it gets, even if it is just 2 gal.

mathews
10-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Ive owned all three, "never say never" but I think Ive owned my last ford diesel. My opinion the fords look the best straight off the lot, but we have had better luck w GM stuff working them each day... But Im no die hard GM guy either. Wish my duramax was getting over 20mpg. Im somewhere between 14-15. Maybe after warranty ill tune it... Maybe tomorrow!

gcbailey
10-20-2013, 08:59 AM
I think it's funny somewhat about guys wanting a "work" truck that "looks" good. I guess I've always been of the mentality... I'd rather have something ugly that gets out and makes the money, rather than something pretty that just primps around. Our two trucks are dedicated work trucks, both '04 Chevy 1 tons. No, they aren't the "prettiest" but they've always worked hard. We keep them clean because I want them to last, but still. They are work trucks, not show trucks.

I like the looks of the Dodge's the best, if we are basing things on looks. But I've known too many guys who owned late 90's up to mid 2000's that had frame issues and transmission issues (out of the automatics). I think everyone can agree on the 6.0L Fords that haven't been modified. All in all, I think the Chevy's have been the most durable for the past 12 years or so of all brands. Granted in the past 2, 3 years Dodge and Ford have made a lot of changes, but I think it's still too early for long term durability. I believe manufacturers are realizing that companies are hanging onto stuff longer, so in the 3/4 ton+ size categories you're going to see better across the board.

jbell36
10-20-2013, 10:59 AM
I think it's funny somewhat about guys wanting a "work" truck that "looks" good. I guess I've always been of the mentality... I'd rather have something ugly that gets out and makes the money, rather than something pretty that just primps around. Our two trucks are dedicated work trucks, both '04 Chevy 1 tons. No, they aren't the "prettiest" but they've always worked hard. We keep them clean because I want them to last, but still. They are work trucks, not show trucks.

I like the looks of the Dodge's the best, if we are basing things on looks. But I've known too many guys who owned late 90's up to mid 2000's that had frame issues and transmission issues (out of the automatics). I think everyone can agree on the 6.0L Fords that haven't been modified. All in all, I think the Chevy's have been the most durable for the past 12 years or so of all brands. Granted in the past 2, 3 years Dodge and Ford have made a lot of changes, but I think it's still too early for long term durability. I believe manufacturers are realizing that companies are hanging onto stuff longer, so in the 3/4 ton+ size categories you're going to see better across the board.

pretty good post...i would agree with most of that...our WORK trucks are simply that, work trucks, no leather, sunroof, or even power windows/locks...but MY truck is nice, with all the bells and whistles, which is the truck i use for irrigation and a secondary truck for a trailer when needed, then it will plow this year finally in the "off" season...so it's an all around truck..to be honest, it doesn't look like a work truck really at all

depends on which years we are talking, but i would agree dodge had some great years as far as looks go...their current style is my least favorite that they have done, but i have heard the trucks are getting much better as far as durability goes...the mid to late 90's was my favorite for ALL the big 3, '97 in particular, that's the last year ford had their classic body style, and the '94-'01 dodges were my favorite body style, but their automatic transmissions were TERRIBLE...i also loved the '97 chevy body style too, this was the first truck/body style that i ever wanted...unfortunately i had to wait longer than i wanted to and went with a '99 dodge for my first truck...bad choice, had to replace the engine, transmission, rear end, heater core, etc.(not one of those are cheap)..the rust was absolutely terrible on it, didn't notice it until about a year after i bought it...still bitter about that truck

with that said, i still think ford has the best overall package, especially the '11 and newer trucks with the 6.7 in them...i would buy a dodge simply because we have a great relationship with our dodge dealership, and they are growing...used to have one building, now they have 5 buildings and one street that they have dedicated to themselves, that includes doing their own street maintenance...my point it, i want to keep them happy as we do all their maintenance, so i wouldn't mind driving some cummins...i'll keep my truck for a long time tho, love it too much and have put a lot of money into it (tuner, air intake, exhaust, emissions delete, installation)

gcbailey
10-20-2013, 02:09 PM
pretty good post...i would agree with most of that...our WORK trucks are simply that, work trucks, no leather, sunroof, or even power windows/locks...but MY truck is nice, with all the bells and whistles, which is the truck i use for irrigation and a secondary truck for a trailer when needed, then it will plow this year finally in the "off" season...so it's an all around truck..to be honest, it doesn't look like a work truck really at all

depends on which years we are talking, but i would agree dodge had some great years as far as looks go...their current style is my least favorite that they have done, but i have heard the trucks are getting much better as far as durability goes...the mid to late 90's was my favorite for ALL the big 3, '97 in particular, that's the last year ford had their classic body style, and the '94-'01 dodges were my favorite body style, but their automatic transmissions were TERRIBLE...i also loved the '97 chevy body style too, this was the first truck/body style that i ever wanted...unfortunately i had to wait longer than i wanted to and went with a '99 dodge for my first truck...bad choice, had to replace the engine, transmission, rear end, heater core, etc.(not one of those are cheap)..the rust was absolutely terrible on it, didn't notice it until about a year after i bought it...still bitter about that truck

with that said, i still think ford has the best overall package, especially the '11 and newer trucks with the 6.7 in them...i would buy a dodge simply because we have a great relationship with our dodge dealership, and they are growing...used to have one building, now they have 5 buildings and one street that they have dedicated to themselves, that includes doing their own street maintenance...my point it, i want to keep them happy as we do all their maintenance, so i wouldn't mind driving some cummins...i'll keep my truck for a long time tho, love it too much and have put a lot of money into it (tuner, air intake, exhaust, emissions delete, installation)

I don't think I gave much though it, but a lot of LCOs work trucks are also their personal trucks. I know around here there are several guys riding around in the jacked up F-150s and Silverados pulling a trailer. Heck, there's even a newer GMC Denali SUV pulling a trailer with a Ferris around here. I guess that's part of the reason for some guys wanting a "pretty" truck. I know it takes an act of congress to get my wife into one of my trucks.

Like you said, our work trucks are plain Jane, no power anything, just a plain radio, not even cassette or CD... They do have AC, that's it. My personal truck on the other hand I ordered it as loaded as I could get it at the time. It's a Chevy Avalanche, and I doubt it would even handle one of our trailers empty.

RSK Property Maintenance
10-20-2013, 03:04 PM
I pull my 7x14 brimar heavy duty dump trailer with 2' high wood sides on top of the 2' high metal sides loaded about 7' out and about 4' high with grass/leaf mixture and the scag cheetah in there with the bagger system and get 12.3 mpg and that's using my underpowered 7.3 powerstroke, with a bad injector or two. the trailer empty is 4000 lbs, the mower is easily over 1000lbs with the bagger on it, then another 2000 in grass clippings and leaves if not more.

andersman02
10-20-2013, 04:21 PM
We have 12 trucks. (2) isuzu tankers, (2) 1990 f250's, (4) 2001 f350's, (1) 2005 f550 w/ 6.0, (1) 2008 f350, (1) 1998 chevy 2500 silverado, (1) ford f150.

Overall the fords have been ROCK SOLID. No major problems in all of our 5.4's, all with over 80k. No problems with the 6.0 either but we've only put 5k on it from the original 40k we bought it with. Our only chevy we bought this year as a back up plow truck. Body has 250k, 350 gasser has 50k and tranny with 70k. Since buying it, everything is mechanically sound, only small things needing to be done. very comfy interior, I've actually been driving it around cause i like the interior more. The older fords have also been great trucks, both with over 200k, working daily in the summer.

We love ford and will stay with them. Next truck will most likely be a diesel 350 of some sort.

New dodges look real nice, New chevys i hate the looks. Couldnt give an opinion on reliability or interior BUT id say about 70% of the work trucks i see around here are fords.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee469/andersman02/2013-10-18172418_zpsba9be21d.jpg (http://s1229.photobucket.com/user/andersman02/media/2013-10-18172418_zpsba9be21d.jpg.html)

gcbailey
10-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Nice looking fleet... How many miles on the NPR's?

andersman02
10-20-2013, 05:05 PM
NPRS are 1988 and 1990, both over 200k I think. 1988 engine starting to go though, need to either completely rebuild or find a replacemtn engine which is a PITA. Both are solid other than that. The tankers are the money makers of the fleet. Going to pick up another once we find 60k in the budget